VIN No 000258 - Reborn (hopefully)

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Phil Jay
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF 135

VIN No 000258 - Reborn (hopefully)

Post by Phil Jay » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:45 am

Today I feel numb. A genuine sense of loss for an old friend. Last night my lovely old MGF was the subject of an RTC and is almost certain to be written off. What makes it worse is that it was a really early car, VIN No 000258, originally owned by Rover Group as one of their 'SAC' registered cars. Coming home at around 9.30 pm a road I use every day there's a narrow hump back bridge, wide enough for only one car at a time. On seeing on coming headlights I stopped the MG well back from the brow of the hill and seconds later in a blaze of white light a vehicle came over the brow at speed, lost control and hit the MG on the drivers front end, before swerving into a parked car and rolling on to its roof. Mercifully no on one was seriously injured. The young driver and his girlfriend though badly shaken and with many cuts and bruises were able to be helped away and taken to hospital by ambulance. The idiot driver admitted to me that 'he was not familiar with the road and was only doing 40 mph' as he went over the blind hump back bridge. Yeah right! No wonder insurance premiums are so high for the young. Police and ambulance services did a professional job and both cars were hauled away for their appointment with an insurance assessor and later that great scrapyard In the sky. Affectionately known as the 'Lil Green Frog'. my MG was scheduled to be going to Belgium next month as part of a tour of the WW1 battlefields and cemeteries. Now it will be in a cemetery of its own as sadly the amount of work involved - not just replacing panels, but also straightening the front structure and repairing the broken steering and suspension - will almost certainly render it an uneconomic proposition. It was also the subject of a Cat C claim in 2001, so a second claim would probably not look too good. What makes it really frustrating is that it's such an early car and was one of the vehicles sold in the closed Rover dealer auction in 1996. To many this is probably of little interest - it's just another old MGF and lets be honest there are dozens around, so move on and buy a replacement. However, I'm old enough to remember when MGB's were 10 a penny and scrapped without a second thought and now early ones are very few and far between - the good ones highly sought after. So, I'll no doubt go through all the motions with the insurance and I'll find out how much to buy back the wreck, but sadly I think it's game over for 000258. A great shame and a sad end for such a great little car. RIP Lil Green Frog, Phil
Last edited by Phil Jay on Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Re: VIN No 000258 RIP

Post by Plezier » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:59 am

Ahhhh as it's a no fault claim and your the innocent party I thought that the fault drivers insurance had to restore the car to the same condition as before the crash if you so insist!!!

If that means said muppet driver cannot get insurance then tough. You lucky that he didn't land his car on top of yours.

mgfsoldier
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i

Post by mgfsoldier » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:16 am

Would definitely push to get it repaired as a historically important car. Ridiculous that some idiot driver can destroy a an early car and get away with being an idiot. Should have been charged with dangerous driving at least.

stuart
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: TF160

Post by stuart » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:27 am

So sorry Phil, glad everyone involved is ok though. A real shame to loose any F in such circumstances, but such an early one is a loss for all us enthusiasts too.

A sad end for such a significant car...I'm gutted for you
Stuart

'02 TF 160 - an Original MG Rover Group Press Car...and still lookin' sharp!

Bilstein Shocks, Z&F Remap, B&G Coolant Alarm, Glass Rear Screen, Braided Hoses, Bling-free at the moment...but that'll probably change

mimo
MGF Register Region: East Midlands

Post by mimo » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:37 am

Really saddened to hear this. I am glad that you are OK, but what a shame about the car.
As others have said, push to get it repaired, or failing that try and buy it back. Someone may be willing and able to keep this early car with us.

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:41 am

What a shame, surely this early car should be saved? As already said it is historically significant.

Maybe the MGF Register or MGCC itself could take it on and get some of our enthusiasts to rebuild it. :thumbsu:

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:07 pm

So sorry to hear that Phil, I do know how you feel. The loss of any special car hurts (I can't get sympathetic about all cars as that's ridiculous) but there are those of special interest that need to be kept as you know. Any chance you can try a special interest plea ?
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Phil Jay

Post by Phil Jay » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:22 am

Many thanks to everyone for your good wishes and support and an especially big thank you to Adrian who is a top man without doubt. I'm currently looking at the possibility of recovering the car and repairing myself with the help of my friends at Prestige MG. I'll keep you posted as to what the out come is. Who knows, I might have another winter project to play with! Phil

ashleyfrazer
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 MK2

Post by ashleyfrazer » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:11 am

Have you read the story of the rebuilding of Scarlet Fever? It was almost almost totally rebuilt after an accident. Might give you some inspiration?
Last edited by ashleyfrazer on Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stuart

Post by stuart » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:29 am

I really hope you save it- keep us posted!
Stuart

Bilstein Shocks, Z&F Remap, B&G Coolant Alarm, Glass Rear Screen, Braided Hoses, Bling-free at the moment...but that'll probably change

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:34 pm

ashleyfrazer wrote:Have you read the story of the rebuilding of Scarlet Fever? It was almost almost totally rebuilt aftet an accident. Might give you some inspiration?

Good memory Ashley, Andy is my co-rep in the Essex region, we've been pals for over ten years now. In a nutshell the car would have been written off but the Essex Roadsters (the forerunners of our current region) got together and it was rebuilt and it's still on the road today. You will see this famous car at MGF20.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Turbostream
Model of Car: 2005 MGTF

Post by Turbostream » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:01 pm

What a disaster Phil, glad you are ok.
Here she is with my very late TF at the POL.

DSCF9682web_1_01.JPG
MY2005 TF in Firefrost Red

ashleyfrazer

Post by ashleyfrazer » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:02 pm

Hi

For those of you that have not seen the story of Scarlet Fever its here http://www.sfforever.co.uk/

I hope its ok to post the link.

I would be great to see 258 parked next to Scarlet at the party.

Of course its going to be expensive (uneconomic based on the pure pound note value) to do. Pulling it straight and paint are never cheap but if you have some know how and help from Prestige you are on your way. There is a wealth of knowledge available here on the site and am sure there will be people on here that will scour their garages and sheds to help with bits if they can.

ash

stuart

Post by stuart » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:14 pm

It'd be a really good thing for all of us on this forum to donate (or very modestly sell) whatever is required for such an important car...easier said than done of course, but the Essex region have already shown that it can be done.

Where there's a will there's a way ay?
Stuart

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:28 pm

Sorry to hear this news. Glad everyone is ok.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Phil Jay

Re: VIN No 000258 Recovered for Restoration

Post by Phil Jay » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:29 pm

Just want to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who has posted kind words and thoughts on 000258.

And now for some good news - today the Green Frog is being recovered and delivered to Prestige MG where we will assess what is needed to repair and restore back to the road. The insurance brokers have so far been great and with the help of some great people on this forum (you know who you are!) are putting a case together for a financial settlement that would save the car from being written off or lost, whilst providing funds for repair.
So far, I need the following parts - front bumper, drivers wing, bonnet, drivers headlight, drivers door and one alloy and tyre. I've located the body panels at a dismantlers. They're the right green (HAM) and are being offered for £150.00, which doesn't seem too bad - but would appreciate any thoughts. I'm told they're in excellent condition, but will head down to Buckinghamshire to check out for myself.
I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of parts needed to repair the steering/ suspension and possibly the sub frame, but Andy at Prestige will check everything dimensionally and make a list of what we need.

So, we're not there yet, but making good progress and it looks like the Lil' Green Frog could be back on the road over the next few months, possibly in time for a trip to Geneva in 2015? Who knows, but certainly to go and meet his new friends in Essex!

I'll keep you posted with a new thread for the rebuild if there's interest.
Thanks all once again.

Phil

Dave J
Regional Rep
Model of Car: Poseidon TF160

Post by Dave J » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:38 pm

Gary (Caths car) might be able to help you out ... i saw a BRG F at the breakers this morning so he might be able to get you some bits ...i'd help him but im going on holiday tomorrow :D

good luck ... hope the car can be returned to its former glory

Dave J
herts@mgfregister.org

2004 monogram Poseidon TF160
2003 monogram Lagoon TF135
2017 MG3

cath's mg
Model of Car: MGF

Post by cath's mg » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:54 pm

davej wrote:Gary (Caths car) might be able to help you out ... i saw a BRG F at the breakers this morning so he might be able to get you some bits ...i'd help him but im going on holiday tomorrow :D

good luck ... hope the car can be returned to its former glory

Dave J
Hi Phil,

Re Davej's post, I would be more than happy to help source some parts if it helps. I've sent you a PM with my details.

Gary :thumbsu: :thumbsu:
Cath's car but Gary's plaything :-)

stuart

Post by stuart » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:38 pm

Sounds very positive!!

I'd be an avid follower of a rebuild thread on this forum...if not, do keep us posted!!
Stuart

ashleyfrazer

Post by ashleyfrazer » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:44 pm

Where in Bucks? Ash