Difficult to engage gears

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

mudwitz
MGF Register Region: East Midlands

Difficult to engage gears

Post by mudwitz » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:26 pm

Just noticed this as I was trying to select reverse gear this evening,all the gears seem to be a bit sticky but do improve as the car gets hotter,the bite point on the clutch seems quite low to the floor as well,there isn't any clutch slip and when the engine is turned off you can engage any gear easily.Ive been searching the forum and reading threads on this subject and would be grateful of any advice.

mgfsoldier
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i

Re: Difficult to engage gears

Post by mgfsoldier » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:03 pm

Check your clutch fluid level, may have a leaking slave cylinder on the gearbox. Or it could be the cables as the gearbox ends wear out.

mudwitz

Post by mudwitz » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:09 pm

Thanks for the advice,took the car out this afternoon and the gears feel all most normal ? Strange ?

xm607
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mgf trophy

Post by xm607 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:15 pm

Check the condition of the quadrant on the gear change at the gear box itself, mine was badly worn and I changed it for a Mike Satur replacement, it needs careful setting up too.
Steve.

mudwitz

Post by mudwitz » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:49 pm

Found the problem today it was the slave cylinder leaking,quickly ordered one from Euro car parts 20.43 plus vat,bled the clutch and what a transformation gear box and clutch feel superb its like driving a new car,well happy with my little F. :D

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Post by Plezier » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:37 pm

mudwitz wrote:Found the problem today it was the slave cylinder leaking,quickly ordered one from Euro car parts 20.43 plus vat,bled the clutch and what a transformation gear box and clutch feel superb its like driving a new car,well happy with my little F. :D
Result 8-) :thumbsu: Well done.