LED bulbs

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

beefio
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC BRG

LED bulbs

Post by beefio » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:22 pm

Is anyone using LED's for their side lights and interior lights?

Are they any good?

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Stuart

fatbaldingoldgit
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MG TF LE500 #493

Re: LED bulbs

Post by fatbaldingoldgit » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:33 pm

I used these for the sidelights in my LE500...very pleased..a bit tricky to fit though..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-White-LED- ... 4d162f6233

Did a write up over on t-bar if you want the whole story... :D
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

beefio

Post by beefio » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:45 am

Cheers I'll check it out!

Does anyone know if there is a max wattage you can use before blowing a fuse etc?

jaydoginvasion
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by jaydoginvasion » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:08 am

It's the total ampage rather than wattage that would blow the fuse.

beefio

Post by beefio » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:39 am

Ah OK, so any idea what the total ampage would be for the bulbs?

Or doesn't it really matter for side lights/internal bulbs?

jaydoginvasion

Post by jaydoginvasion » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:10 am

LED's in general draw less so I doubt you would exceed the max for the circuit.
Can't think what the rating is for side lights.
If everything on the circuit doesn't exceed the ampage of the fuse you should be okay though.

jaydoginvasion

Post by jaydoginvasion » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:12 am

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:21 am

I've put pure white led's in the footwells and interior lights, all ok so far. I have one in the boot, ok with that but now it get's a bit tricky and I'm not an electrician. I placed one in the under bonnet too but it wouldn't work, checked everything, took the one from the boot, that worked there but another in the boot wouldn't. The short version of this is something to do with resistances I believe, you cannot have an led in the boot and under the bonnet as two will not work. One will work in either location, two normal bulbs will work as well but not two led's.

I want to keep exterior bulbs the same colour so I haven't experimented with led's anywhere else, I think different colour side and headlight bulbs does not look right and TF's have great headlamps so I don't want to change anything there. I don't particularly like bright led powered number plate lights either.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

fatbaldingoldgit

Post by fatbaldingoldgit » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:23 am

adrianclifford wrote:I've put pure white led's in the footwells and interior lights, all ok so far. I have one in the boot, ok with that but now it get's a bit tricky and I'm not an electrician. I placed one in the under bonnet too but it wouldn't work, checked everything, took the one from the boot, that worked there but another in the boot wouldn't. The short version of this is something to do with resistances I believe, you cannot have an led in the boot and under the bonnet as two will not work. One will work in either location, two normal bulbs will work as well but not two led's.
Different to my experience Adrian...I've got LEDs in both the boot and the bonnet and they work fine..Maybe it's down to the individual LED spec?...I can probably track down which ones I fitted if you're interested? :D
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

jaydoginvasion

Post by jaydoginvasion » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:49 am

LED's only work in one direction, so to speak , could try putting it in the other way.

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:44 pm

fatbaldingoldgit wrote:
adrianclifford wrote:I've put pure white led's in the footwells and interior lights, all ok so far. I have one in the boot, ok with that but now it get's a bit tricky and I'm not an electrician. I placed one in the under bonnet too but it wouldn't work, checked everything, took the one from the boot, that worked there but another in the boot wouldn't. The short version of this is something to do with resistances I believe, you cannot have an led in the boot and under the bonnet as two will not work. One will work in either location, two normal bulbs will work as well but not two led's.
Different to my experience Adrian...I've got LEDs in both the boot and the bonnet and they work fine..Maybe it's down to the individual LED spec?...I can probably track down which ones I fitted if you're interested? :D
I believe the resistances are different in the SAIC cars as they have led's already fitted in the mirror lights (at least). Therefore they could be compatible but please let me know and I'll try them, I like things looking uniform and tidy.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

willyphixitt
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: 2006(reg) TF135

Post by willyphixitt » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:30 pm

Hi Adrian,

Your problem with an led fitted to the under bonnet position may be due to too much voltage drop at the bulb connectors. I suggest you clean up the under bonnet switch on the offside panel. A tungsten bulb will still glow when the trigger voltage for the led has not been reached, hence one will work while the other doesn't.

With the resistor fitted within the led, I don't know what the minimum "firing" voltage needs to be.

Does it light up when the engine is running?

hth.

willyphixitt

fatbaldingoldgit

Post by fatbaldingoldgit » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:41 pm

I think they are these..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191163249226? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Was a while ago but I got them from the same vendor...can't remember if the pins are opposite or offset.. :D
- Frank Zappa

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:38 pm

willyphixitt wrote:Hi Adrian,

Your problem with an led fitted to the under bonnet position may be due to too much voltage drop at the bulb connectors. I suggest you clean up the under bonnet switch on the offside panel. A tungsten bulb will still glow when the trigger voltage for the led has not been reached, hence one will work while the other doesn't.

With the resistor fitted within the led, I don't know what the minimum "firing" voltage needs to be.

Does it light up when the engine is running?

hth.

willyphixitt
Don't know Bill, I could try that. Nine times out of ten, the engine would be off if I'm under the bonnet though but an interesting test.

I'll look up those E Bay bulbs and see if they compare to what I have already.

Christhurso
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Christhurso » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:27 pm

These are the ones I've installed for sidelights: http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/281250066139

They look good, make you more visible in comparison to normal halogen bulbs and use them in all my cars.

Has anyone changed the interior bulbs in their centre mirror - if so what bulbs do they take?

beefio

Post by beefio » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:34 pm

Yes I was wondering about the mirror bulbs...

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:38 pm

Yes, re above, I have and the footwell lights too. Lovely white light that is useable (this was the idea in the first place, to have a light that you can use in darkness).

willyphixitt
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: 2006(reg) TF135

Post by willyphixitt » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:09 pm

Adrian,

With a voltmeter, check the voltage across the led when fitted in the boot and compare that to the voltage when the led is fitted in the bonnet. I suspect the voltage is just slightly lower, just enough not to illuminate the led in the bonnet position. As well as checking the bonnet light switch, you might have a poor earth to the bonnet light.

willyphixitt

Christhurso
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Christhurso » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:11 pm

Regarding the map reading lights on the centre mirror - I've looked on eBay and looks like they are side light bulbs.

Quick Google search suggests they are too, I'll try and confirm this at some point and report back.

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Post by Plezier » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:31 am

Just got the spare interior mirror from the garage, knew exacty where it was for once :o , and brought it in. Removing the lens cover revealed a blue film and underneath what appears to be a normal capless 501 bulb.