wet wet wet

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

dansrockin
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mk2 1.8mpi

wet wet wet

Post by dansrockin » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:41 pm

After not using my car for the last two weeks due to being away, I went out to it today to find a nice pool of water behind the passenger seat. I managed to squeeze about 2 pints of water out! Good news was the foot well was fairly dry, so my heater box fix seems to have worked!
There is also water in the boot under the carpet, so I've got a couple of things I need to sort pretty quickly!
The water behind the seat seems to be coming in from the gap where the roof meets the body next to the door, and there's occasionally a drip on the top of the doors near the mirror.
As for the boot, I'm not sure. Is there any common places that the boot leaks?
I've ordered a sunmate cover from mike satur, which hooefull will stop the worst of the water ingress, has anyone else used one? How well do they cover all the joins and gaps?

Neil Rushton
MGF Register Region: Lancashire
Model of Car: TF135

Re: wet wet wet

Post by Neil Rushton » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:05 pm

Round the rear lights is a likely place for leaks into the boot a bit of clear silicone round the gaskets usually cures it.
Kawasaki KLX250
Skoda Citigo 75hp!!!
A share in an English Electric Lightning F6 fighter!!!!

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:17 pm

I've had Mike's Sunmate cover for years, it covers quite well but it's not really a waterproof cover. You need a proper fitted/shaped storm cover for that sort of protection. Can't remember who makes mine, I bought it off E Bay I think but it's been perfect for years and stores in it's own bag for using while travelling.

If nobody knows, I'll look in the garage for the make and type (they do several if I remember correct).
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

dansrockin
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mk2 1.8mpi

Post by dansrockin » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:08 pm

Thanks, I did wonder about the light seals, its a common thing on zt's and 75s.
I asked about waterproofness and covering the gaps to stop leaks and they said it was what this cover was designed for, and would stop water getting in through the roof or windows.
I'll be getting a full cover at some point, I just needed something cheap to get me through the short term.
Fingers crossed it keeps the rain out!

jaydoginvasion
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by jaydoginvasion » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:59 am

There is a join to the rear wings under the rubber seal which is also prone to leakage.
I can send a pic if you like?

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Post by Plezier » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:00 am

Dammit .............................. noticed that boot carpet is wet again and I thought that had found and sorted the leaks ...................................... but obviously was wrong........................... back to the drawing board! :cry: