So am deeply depressed now .............. "Sniff"

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

So am deeply depressed now .............. "Sniff"

Post by Plezier » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:29 pm

Just been making enquiries about head porting and what would be needed or suitable for my MPi :o .

Unless I sell my soul it seems that it's going to be way beyond the budget.

Mike satur's Clubmans is £1350.

Sabre heads appears to be about the same.

DVA according to his web site is quite a bit more and Dave is booked up until July 2015 :cry:

I guessed it would be cheap but the price has left me rather shell shocked. Guess I will have to do it a bit at a time. Save up and buy cams, then save and buy the next lot of bits needed to spead the cost out. It will be late Summer or Autumn before I can likely get all the parts ..................................... ahh well will just have to dream about it until that happens.

Forrester
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere

Re: So am deeply depressed now .............. "Sniff"

Post by Forrester » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:38 pm

You can buy a TF 160 for that sort of money :D
After spending over £4k on my F in 3 years, I did just that.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:47 pm

Cheaper to buy a spare head and have a go yourself.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

jaydoginvasion
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by jaydoginvasion » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:05 am

Would a 135 head and inlet manifold work on a mpi?

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:48 am

jaydoginvasion wrote:Would a 135 head and inlet manifold work on a mpi?
Yes in fact it's only the cams and induction that is different head wise. I believe that the mems 3 is a different map to teh early 1.9 mems. However according to DVA the 135 cams won't help much as I am looking to get to about 150 BHP to make the MPi feel very similar to the VVC in performance. Fitting TF 115/135 cams was my initial thoughts but DVA say that Piper 1320's would really be needed. The thought that a 160 Trophy might work out cheaper had occured to me as well.

jaydoginvasion
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by jaydoginvasion » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:26 am

Think I might go for the 135 head route for my F.
Need to sort out brakes and suspension first so might be awhile off but I'll keep my eyes open for suitable parts.

c13amb
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by c13amb » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:22 am

Forrester wrote:You can buy a TF 160 for that sort of money :D
After spending over £4k on my F in 3 years, I did just that.
Got to agree with this comment gents!! I too have spent money on my 135 but theres always a niggle i should have gone 160!!
My cars..MY04 '54 MGTF135 in Yas Marina Blue!!!

MY13'63 AUDI Q7 S-LINE 3Ltr. In ibis white!!!

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:32 am

jaydoginvasion wrote:Think I might go for the 135 head route for my F.
Need to sort out brakes and suspension first so might be awhile off but I'll keep my eyes open for suitable parts.
A front brake upgrade, 280mm Big disc set up, is in my plans already. Have just replaced the rear brakes and fitted some Padgid pads and I am very happy wih the improvement over the cheap Apec pads it had before. Mind you only about half the disc was being used due to rust before so any clean disc set up would have been an improvement. Also planned is new bushes on the rear end and the front ARB along with new drop links................................... and a servo brace . "Blue 33" has servo flexing so this will make a huge difference to her braking 8-) . Have just fitted 4 new shock absorbers and they have improved her ride more than I had imagined they would. She also has braided S/S hoses front and rear.

Have not decided yet as to whether I want to go TF snorkel or not as yet so the servo brace is under consideration as to type used.

Thanks to some help and advice from some other tunned MGF owners on various forums where I have been gatherign advice and information we are hoping to find someone who can do a port clean up and 3 angle valve seat job using the standard valves as I am not sure that I really require a big valve head. Dave Andrews is out for this as he is booked up until June 2015 already. I can understand why Dave suggests the full works as then there is no come back really if it does not meet my quite conservative expectaions. His full big valve head work up is good for some 185bhp Plus but it's just too far beyond even my dream budget to consider.

Trouble is this could lead to trouble as have started perusing the adverts again and have found a really nice looing Tahiti Blue VVC that needs a little TLC :sf: perhaps I should sell "Blue 33" and get another VVC to play with ...................................... Oh dear.
Got to agree with this comment gents!! I too have spent money on my 135 but theres always a niggle i should have gone 160!!
My trouble is that like the head flowing/porting even a rough Trophy is beyond my budget. After Christmas is over I will start listing some bits and bobs on ebay to raise some funds for thsi project. My only option is buy cheap and slowly spend a bit to make it better. It might cost more in the long run but the cost is spread out.