VIN Number 000258 Reborn!

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Phil Jay
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF 135

VIN Number 000258 Reborn!

Post by Phil Jay » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:49 pm

Some of you may recall that around 4 months ago, my very early MGF was involved in a 'near death' experience, in that coming home one Friday evening VIN 000258, which I affectionately call 'the l'il Green Frog', was involved in a serious RTC.
The damage sustained was significant and it looked for all the world that it would be written off and a really early car lost.
A number of friends expressed interest in the final outcome, so here is an update to let you know how it worked out.

For those who may not of seen the earlier post, my car was originally registered to the Rover Group on 01/09/95 - well before customer cars started to be delivered and is technically the 8th production car built. It is also one of Rovers 'SAC' registered fleet of cars which I believe were used for promotional and press use in the immediate post launch period.

On 26/09/14 coming home at around 9.30, I had stopped for an oncoming car coming over a single track blind bridge. The oncoming car came over the bridge too fast, lost control and hit the Frog a mighty clout before bouncing off onto a parked car and ending up on its roof. Mercifully no one was seriously injured and the emergency services were called to clear up the mess
Part of the panel damage to the Frog. More problems lay benethe
(this is how the car that hit me ended up.

At first glance the Frog was obviously badly damaged. All the front panels we damaged, the drivers door wouldn't oped and the front wheels were looking a bit cross eyed. The car was recovered initially by a salvage company, but I got it removed as soon as possible having heard tales of 'write offs' being stripped of good bits by these people. I got the Frog taken to Prestige MG between Sutton and Tamworth and once it was up on the ramp Andy discovered more problems - the front sub frame had been damaged and twisted due to the impact, and the shell behind the drivers headlight was damaged.

At this point some amazing people from the MGF Register came to my aid providing me with documentation to support the cars provenance and value and a claim was made against the third party's insurance. I spoke to the assessor on the phone and he later came out to view the car. Andy did a wonderful job of taking this gentleman through all aspects of the repair and to my amazement a figure was agreed with Andy to enabke the car to be repaired to a high standard.
IMG_0546.JPG[/attachment]

So, with the go ahead given, we started hunting the parts and suddenly found there was a real lack of good quality HAM green panels, so reluctantly we started looking for a breaker. Having watched a bodily good, but mechanically poor car fail to sell for several weeks, I eventually and reluctantly acquired it as a donor car. Please don't lynch me guys. Nobody wanted it and the parts from it have saved two cars.

From this point the donor car was dismantled and bit by bit, the Frog was gradually brought back from the 'dead'. Numerous problems were found alond the way which necessitated a lot more work for Prestige MG than was originally allowed for, such as additional body damage that only came to light once the panels were off, but Andy stuck at it and soon the Frog was off to the paint shop to ensure a perfect match with the original panels and repair the paint damage to the windscreen surround where the wing had been pushed back into it.

The result is superb and the car looks just like it did nearly 20 years ago when it came off the line - at least the front does, I'm going to have to do some work on the rear arches now. This is a photo of how it looks now. It's a real credit to all the work Andy has done to bring the Frog 'back from the dead' and I'm extremely grateful that he dis such a thorough job on the Frog. Thanks also to some very special guy's down in Essex without who's support the Frog would have been written off as just another old MGF! Thanks Guy's, hope to see you soon to thank you personally and buy you a very large drink(s), Phil
Attachments
The frog finished and waiting for its proud owner
The frog finished and waiting for its proud owner
Another view of the damage
Another view of the damage

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Re: VIN Number 000258 Reborn!

Post by Mykel » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:12 am

Really great news, Phil, always good to hear one of the very early cars has been saved, especially with the upcoming MGF 20 event at Gaydon. I suppose we will see the Frog there?

You have been very lucky with the insurance, a local MGF driver over here had it a bit tougher. Whilst doing the final holiday shopping on Christmas Day, he got hit hard in the supermarket parking lot by a Chelsea tractor with a maniac on the wheel:
merry xmas!
merry xmas!
The MGF was hit so hard that he made a Russ Swift like J-turn and came to a stop about 10 yards from the impact spot.

Tha assessor has written the car off, with repairs costs having been calculated in the 4,000 euro-ish region against a value of about 2k. Scrap value is regarded at 120 euros!

As to the guys in Essex (I have a faint suspicion who you are talking about :lol: ), why not join them and the rest of us for MGFIM in May right there? Luckily there are still places available and all of us from the UK and overseas would definitely cherish to have such an early car (#3 actually!) among us. Look here: http://www.mgfim.org.
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

stuart
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: TF160

Post by stuart » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:17 am

Phil I'm so pleased both for you and this very special car, looking forward to seeing it in its restored splendour at MGF20!

Mykel :rant: so sorry buddy. For anyone who has experienced the loss of one of these much loved cars it really is a horrible feeling, just glad that no one was hurt.
Stuart

'02 TF 160 - an Original MG Rover Group Press Car...and still lookin' sharp!

Bilstein Shocks, Z&F Remap, B&G Coolant Alarm, Glass Rear Screen, Braided Hoses, Bling-free at the moment...but that'll probably change

Plezier
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Post by Plezier » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:37 am

Excllent news indeed .

Noticed only yesterday that some A-Hole has dented "Blue 33's" passenger door. Right in the middle are tow vertical small dents that were not there before :rant: .

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:44 am

Great news. Looks as though a brilliant job has been done :thumbsu:
Nigel May
Vice Chairman, Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

jaydoginvasion
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by jaydoginvasion » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:48 am

Great news indeed!

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:25 am

Nice one.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Phil Jay
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF 135

Post by Phil Jay » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:12 pm

Hi Mykel,
Many thanks for your kind post about the Frog. Yes I was incredibly lucky with the insurance company as the repair cost was over £2K and we could never have got it done without the help and support of the 'Essex Lads'.
The end result is superb and later this year I'll have the back done to match!
We should definitely be at MGF20 so hopefully see you there. I'd love to come to the MGFIM event, but am just waiting for a cataract operation and once that's done I'll feel happier to sign up - driving's a bit of a challenge just now!
I was interested to see you thought it may be #3 and I just wondered how that worked as I've always gone by VIN numbers.

Really sorry to hear about the experience and loss of your friends MGF at Christmas. I appreciate how he must be feeling as the day after the accident I was totally gutted. This may not be of any interest, but I'll mention it in case it is. When I thought I'd lost the Frog, I bought another ex-Rover 1995 MGF, also in BRG. The VIN is 000354 and it's early history is interesting being the personal car of the then MG General Sales Manager. Whilst I'd like to keep the car, don't need it now especially as I have two other very early 'SAC' cars, so planned to sell in the spring, but if there's a genuine enthusiast who would like it, it's available at a reasonable price - £550.00 - MOT'd and ready to go. Could it be converted to LHD from the wreck of the damaged car?

Also thanks guys for all the other kind posts about the car and I'm pleased you like the end result. Hope to see you at events during the year. All the best, Phil

Mykel
Regional Rep
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:51 pm

Hi Phil,

this sounds quite intersting indeed, I’ll mention it to Stefan. A LHD conversion will surely be possible with the parts from the damaged car. Not that I would bother myself, as all my MGs are RHD.

And sorry, I got the #3 wrong indeed, it was quite late last night and my eyes were a bit sore :lol: so I read “000253” in the headline instead of “258”. So yours is #8 actually, as all MG VIN sequences traditionally start with “251” for the first car, the old telephone number of MG Abingdon.

Hope your OP works out fine and you get well soon, so we can have you aboard in Essex.

Mykel
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:07 pm

Well done Phil, it was worth sticking to it then. Credit to Andy too, send him our best wishes.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:03 pm

A frightening set of pictures, but so glad it has all ended well. Congratulations to all involved! :thumbsu: