Good day at Stoneleigh

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Db09
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: Volcano orange f

Good day at Stoneleigh

Post by Db09 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:24 pm

Hi guys
Just got back from Stoneleigh .
Good to meet some of you and faces to names .
Spent lots got tickets for mgf 20 day joined the mg car club got a stereo for George .
Got an mg teddy for a friends daughter . And only used 1/2 tank for whole trip Lyneham Stoneleigh Lyneham .
Looking forward to next meet up .

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Re: Good day at Stoneleigh

Post by Plezier » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:38 pm

It was nice meeting you.

I was rather disppointed especially with the way the getting onto the park was oganised so unless there is really something specific that i need I doubt I'll bother with Stoneleigh again.

AndyG
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: ZTT 400 - 2 x ZS180

Post by AndyG » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:49 pm

Plezier wrote:................................
This has been a complaint on a few forums.
I haven't been for the last 2 years as we could not get the 260s parked together even when we convoy in :|
F Trophy 160++ Now sold.
ZTT SE 400 SHM Block. "Super Brick"
ZS 180 Trophy Blue x 2
Triumph SpeedTriple 955i

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:21 am

Well I have e-mailed them telling my exact thoughts. We shall see if we even get a response :roll: .

I will not suggest nor advise to anyone in future attends this show.

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:10 pm

The Parking arrangements were tried out the previous weekend without any problems for Retro-Rides.
The Security had apparently been told to only let in Exhibitors and those with wrist bands. Probably OK before Opening but nobody told them to let MGs and Ts in after 9.30
We were rejected and then seeing the block at Stoneleigh, we decided to return home until later. Passing back past the Main Entrance after 5 minutes,the problem had been resolved.
Security had obviously got fed up with the Flak and had called HQ.
Geoff F.

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Post by Keith Williams » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:53 pm

I will put in a complaint about the access through the main gate BUT this event at Stoneleigh has always had issues with access even when it was just the MG Show. Some years the access has been easier but now adding all the Triumphs too, they seem to be struggling more. Think they have issues with the shows success but this year it seems like the communication was poor in that, they tried to separate non MG/Triumphs from the general public but the guys on the gate seemed to not understand the MGs & Triumphs should be let through and the non MGs/Triumphs should go to a separate gate. For summer shows, they can open up more parking areas and hence have more access gates. I suspect the winter shows loose out as they dont want to damage their grass parking areas and many would not want to park on the grass anyway.
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:42 pm

Are you honestly trying to tell us that Stoneleigh Park a place that holds huge Horse and Farming events and shows cold not cope witht eh few MG and Triumph enthusiasts?

One of the marshals/stewards that I tackled about the promised under cover parking tried to tell me that the Police insisted that the main entrance be closed. I don't like beign fobbed off and like being lied to even less!

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:15 pm

I see that the promotors are tryign to do "Damage Limitation" due to the amount of complaints they have been getting. Somehow I fear it's going to be too little too late for many whom have had enough of hollow promises.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:45 pm

I had no problems at all getting in - ushered straight in, parked in the Cow Sheds and walked straight into the show. Non-MGs/Triumphs were being turned around and sent to another gate.

I was a bit later - arriving at around 11 - so perhaps they'd worked things out by then? Seemed generally much better organised than last year? Also I found the layout in the 3 halls was generally better than last year too.

Enjoyable show. I particularly liked looking at N802 SVC - not that I am jealous or anything!:lol:

Mykel
Regional Rep
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:50 pm

Just found this in my inbox (like most of you, I presume):
Dear Visitor/Exhibitor,

Thank you for attending The International MG & Triumph Spares Day 2015.

The event attracted 12,996 visitors which is an increase of 22% on the 2014 gate. A mixture of more than 240 traders and clubs exhibited at the event with brisk trade being reported by the majority. Many of whom have already verbally confirmed their positions for next year.

Unfortunately we did encounter some traffic issues and the system did not cope with the unprecedented increase in visitors.

Whilst this didn’t affect all visitors it certainly affected some and we would like to formally apologise for any delays experienced.

We have already reviewed traffic plans for 2016 with the venue and are confident that by opening multiple gates simultaneously we will not encounter any further problems with the event continuing to grow as it has done over the last two years

Thank you once again for visiting the event this year. The 2016 date has been confirmed and will take place on February 21st 2016.

Kind regards,

Live Promotions Events Ltd.
Already reviewed traffic plans for 2016 within just a couple of hours? What a well developed plan this must be! :lol: The easiest way would be to just have educated staff at the gates, basic knowledge of t&c would come in handy.

As I arrived the day before I obviously didn’t have any issues getting in, but we were allowed to park in the cow sheds from 8.30-ish. I even managed to get into the main halls while preps were still going on and cars shuffled around, so I could pick up pre-ordered parts from Martin Smith et al, avoiding to carry them around while the main rush was on. I see this as kind of revenge for the organisers’ cancelling the early bird tickets we used to have until two years ago.
Last edited by Mykel on Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:54 pm

Mykel wrote:Just found this in my inbox (like most of you, I presume):
Dear Visitor/Exhibitor,

Thank you for attending The International MG & Triumph Spares Day 2015.

The event attracted 12,996 visitors which is an increase of 22% on the 2014 gate. A mixture of more than 240 traders and clubs exhibited at the event with brisk trade being reported by the majority. Many of whom have already verbally confirmed their positions for next year.

Unfortunately we did encounter some traffic issues and the system did not cope with the unprecedented increase in visitors.

Whilst this didn’t affect all visitors it certainly affected some and we would like to formally apologise for any delays experienced.

We have already reviewed traffic plans for 2016 with the venue and are confident that by opening multiple gates simultaneously we will not encounter any further problems with the event continuing to grow as it has done over the last two years

Thank you once again for visiting the event this year. The 2016 date has been confirmed and will take place on February 21st 2016.

Kind regards,

Live Promotions Events Ltd.
Already reviewed traffic plans for 2016 within just a couple of hours? What a well developed plan this must be! :lol: The easiest way would be to just have educated staff at the gates, basic knowledge of t&c would come in handy.

As I arrived the day before I obviously didn’t have any issues getting in, but we were allowed to park in the cow sheds from 8.30-ish. I even managed to get into the main halls while preps were still going on and cars shuffled around, so I could pick up pre-ordered parts from Martin Smith et al, avoiding to carry them along before the main rush started. I see this as kind of revenge for the organisers’ cancelling the early bird tickets we used to have until two years ago.
Glad to see you got home ok Mykel and hope you feel much much better now mate :thumbsu:

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:57 pm

Well I knew Mykel was about as saw the Steppie and even took a couple of snaps of it. In fact there were some very nice cars parked in the cow sheds.

Mykel
Regional Rep

Post by Mykel » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:59 pm

Yes, much better today, thanks Col. The trip home was safe and easy, no major hold-ups. I arrived here at about 2am CET, and had to drive around with all the parts still in the car all day. I didn’t manage to unload it all until just about an hour ago.

It is always amazing to see how much gear you can get into an MGF 8-) :lol:
MGTF:
MGZR:
Classic:

Mykel
Regional Rep

Post by Mykel » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:01 pm

Plezier wrote:Well I knew Mykel was about as saw the Steppie and even took a couple of snaps of it. In fact there were some very nice cars parked in the cow sheds.
Sorry for me being not very social yesterday, but I had just survived a major tummy turmoil the night before. For reasons of decency, I will not quote Steffi’s reply to my visual appearance in the morning :lol:
MGTF:
MGZR:
Classic:

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:30 pm

Mykel wrote:Yes, much better today, thanks Col. The trip home was safe and easy, no major hold-ups. I arrived here at about 2am CET, and had to drive around with all the parts still in the car all day. I didn’t manage to unload it all until just about an hour ago.

It is always amazing to see how much gear you can get into an MGF 8-) :lol:
Mykel wrote:
Plezier wrote:Well I knew Mykel was about as saw the Steppie and even took a couple of snaps of it. In fact there were some very nice cars parked in the cow sheds.
Sorry for me being not very social yesterday, but I had just survived a major tummy turmoil the night before. For reasons of decency, I will not quote Steffi’s reply to my visual appearance in the morning :lol:
We were both quite worried about you Mykel 8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Pete & Lin
Regional Rep
Model of Car: 2001 1.8i

Post by Pete & Lin » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:30 pm

Mykel wrote: Sorry for me being not very social yesterday, but I had just survived a major tummy turmoil the night before. For reasons of decency, I will not quote Steffi’s reply to my visual appearance in the morning :lol:
Good to meet up with you again Mykel, glad you are feeling much better.

We did have a good laugh over Steffi's comment as to how you looked Sunday morning :lol:
MGF Register Regional Rep. for Devon & Cornwall

MGF MK2 1.8i - Old English White
MGZS SUV - Dynamic Red

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MGFDandC

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:40 pm

Plezier wrote:Well I have e-mailed them telling my exact thoughts. We shall see if we even get a response :roll: .

Isn't the primary focus of the event the sale of spares, not the show and shine?
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Geoff and Vicki Edge
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: 2000 MGF 1.8i

Post by Geoff and Vicki Edge » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:42 am

Have to say we had no problems at all getting in. Came in a convoy of 5 cars through the general parking gate getting there at 9am. Got into the site and after a short discussion with one marshal who tried to direct us away we went straight to the dedicated car parking in the sheds. We were in the halls by 9.15. Thought the show was good and the Lincolnshire Register will definetly be there next year!

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:59 am

talkingcars wrote:
Plezier wrote:Well I have e-mailed them telling my exact thoughts. We shall see if we even get a response :roll: .

Isn't the primary focus of the event the sale of spares, not the show and shine?
Actually I think you will find that lots of people also see it as a social event with the cance to meet up with old friends of similiar interest from different places.

In 2014 having only recently acquired "Blue 33" my visit afforded me the chance to get some bits for her which I did do like the Cream/Black steering wheel and some bits from Jill & Darren.

This year I was picking up a lower speedo cable again from Jill & Darren and I also bought a few bits and bobs. Nothing that could not be done via the internet and mail I might add.

This year I spoke to a few at the register and made some enquires about ways to restore the wood finish to the centre console in the 75th model that we are getting. Again this could be done over the phone or internet. Last year I stayed until quite late but this year I left at 3pm.

Now the only way that I will attend next year is if it's the only place that I can get something or if it's the only chance to meet with someone that I need, want ot would love to meet. I took some photos of some ofthe Displayed MGF's especially the early cars that have been kept or restored to as they left the factory as they may just help with my doing up the 75th. After all I have "elsie" whom is no where near as she left the factory so she can continue being modified and the 75th can be kept standard or at least only easily bolted on bits might be changed.

Like I may fit AP's to her but we shall see how much if any servo flex there is before deciding whether to fit a servo brace of some kind. I amy even fit a period MG stereo head unit back in her.

In this coming year I will attend a few MG events and chances are that I can get any parts or help/advice I need at those without attending Stoneleigh again. heck it might be worth the drive over to Newark for one or two of their Auto Jumbles. I'll wager they are better organised and there will be MGF stuff there as well. The organisers at Stoneleigh need to realise this and that they are not the ONLY option.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:41 pm

It's a good show for meeting old friends and new. But also an opportunity to shop around for some bargains. Really tempted by the AP brakes at 100 quid a set! Difficult to justify buying just for spares though! :lol: But a few odd tools, materials and stuff - and a general sift around the show. It's always on my calendar! :)