Mgf donor car: building an MG Allegro VVC!

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

edk83
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Re: Mgf donor car: building an MG Allegro VVC!

Post by edk83 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:25 am

I think so, the bolts are in 3mm and the boxes 2mm, they welded up to the floor better than expected, floor rather thin but got a good run onto the 3mm at the rear.

Made it slightly easier to put fuel in lol

Made some bottom mounts for the rear shocks from box section

Last edited by edk83 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:08 pm

edk83 wrote:Made it slightly easier to put fuel in lol
Confused by this one - do explain.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

edk83

Post by edk83 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:04 pm

Big hole! - Now fixed, was rusty. Fuel cell is going in the boot so no need for the flap.

Fuel filler patched up today

Not bad, small bit of filler needed

Coilover conversion almost done, quick test fit shows it clears the boot floor and anti roll bar! Need to drill an access hole to the bottom bolt and wind the springs up. Going to cnc some spacers for the knuckles for extra ride height adjustment.

edk83

Post by edk83 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:25 pm

Spacers for the knuckles done, some stainless arb mounts too.

It's definatley staying blue!

Finished cleaning up under the rear end and painted with Kurust before it gets stonechipped and sealed.

Next few weeks / months will mostly be bodywork (yawn)
Thinking this arch lip will have to get replaced

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:26 pm

CarPlan rattle cans are the only ones that I found that matched my Old English White '51 Morris Minor Convertible, where did you find them?

edk83

Post by edk83 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:53 pm

I just check eBay every now and again for the code, I don't think any websites have any left :(

edk83

Post by edk83 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:08 am

More bodywork being done this weekend, its totally stripped to bare shell with just the windscreen and sill covers now.
Sills are fine under the covers and they are riveted on in places so leaving them.

This needs another patch, on the patch on the patch lol

Bottom of the rear windows now fixed both sides along with more bits on the boot and sills

Hate hate hate hate door pins, loads of play in the drivers top one so its coming apart
Last edited by edk83 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

edk83

Post by edk83 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:45 pm

Subframe is pretty much done!

Determined to make the foglight resesses functional I cut out some holes for a cold air feed, probably weld in some stainless 90 degreeish bend, has to go through the arch as the mgf rad is in the way otherwise. Pretty sure it will clear the gearbox arm lol

Managed to pick up a wing with a half decent front end.

edk83

Post by edk83 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:51 am

Made a simple flywheel locking tool, mainly because I'm a tool so now can stop worrying about it. Ordered a cam belt kit from Gates, water pump looks fine so not ordered one yet but probably will.

Rear arch patched and made a new lip, needs some fiberglass to finish but will do the job.

Also made an alternator adjuster that will be much easier to adjust and is shorter than standard bracket.

edk83

Post by edk83 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:04 pm

Well took me all day cleaning the K series

Fitted new belts, water pump, ap clutch, stat with a couple of holes drilled, fitted my oil pressure adpater bits. Stainless manfold studs and a general tart up. New plugs and rocker gasket on the way.

Pikey clutch centering tool, the old one drove fine but the friction plate was quite worn.

Also my friend who is going to paint the car said the plastic sill covers have got to come off and the windscreen.

Sills all happy under the covers, windscreen didnt fair so well! Allegro club tell me laminated ones are super rare :(

edk83

Post by edk83 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:14 pm

Well today I spent some time in the garage and got the centre console figured out so everything actually will fit. Working everything out takes so much longer than bolting things in!

Engine about done, just need to clean up the alternator bracket and a few bits :)

Wishbones fitted with polybushes and new bearings kits in the top arms. Thought that would be a nice easy job but the seals are a bugger to get in right and the bottom polybushes are tight. I also put some nice rivnuts in to hold the TF alternator cover.

With those bits done back onto bodywork, rear end is ready for shutlz so moving forward. Found the double skin where the rear of the drivers seat mounts is more of a single skin. More welding this weekend :)

Last edited by edk83 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

flyingbanana
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Post by flyingbanana » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:13 pm

I feel your pain on the amount of time it takes working things out :(

edk83

Post by edk83 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:24 am

So I've been at it again today, dodgy seat mount is now patched and beefed up

Front sidelight rebuilt from a spare wing, still need some grinding here and there but it's straight and made of metal! Have been welding bits here and there, anything that looks like its going to get crusty soon, put some more into the roll cage A pillars now the screen is out.

The inner wing has now been repaired and finished to go around the engine mount. THAT IS THE LAST OF THE FABRICATION! (pretty much).

Lots more bodywork to do and a few little brackets needed for things like speed sensors.
Next jobs are shultzing the whole underside and cleaning up all the engine bay before it's painted, hoping to get it in soonish before the exterior is done.

edk83

Post by edk83 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:09 pm

Alternator now fitted, nice and close with a 715mm belt

Been digging again - Holy Moly!

edk83

Post by edk83 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:14 pm

So I'm planning on spraying the entire underside with shultz this weekend. This last two evenings I've seam sealed basicaly everywhere and all holes are now patched with metal :)

Just got a tiny bit of metalwork to do for rear brake lines and a bracket then can get spraying. After that I can refit the rear beam and see if this crazy suspension works!

Engine bay is ready for paint prep after the underside is done..

Also have been busy wrapping the stainless Toyo manifold as it will be quite close to the rad.

edk83

Post by edk83 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:54 pm

On it with shultz today :)

I was just going to paint the inside of the fog light resses but a lot of the front panel was already textured so did the bottom section. Then I read the stuff isn't overpaintable oops!

edk83

Post by edk83 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:06 am

So I have been messing with the rear suspension, it does actually work and I'm fairly happy with the height that the spring is engaged, that can be altered with different size spacers on the knuckle. At full droop the knuckle does disengage the shock but cannot come out :). The red springs are 225lb mini fronts and far too soft, with the huge lever action of the swingarm I need a very hard spring as a small amount of movement translates to quite a lot of wheel vertical movement. I've put the stock bump stops back on and the shock still has about an inch of travel before it would hit it's own bump stop.

So not totally bad, the shock has more than enough scope to work. I just need to limit the travel a lot more, probably try some 600lb springs or maybe stiffer.

Some clever bugger made them so the spring can be removed without dropping the beam, with about 3mm to spare :) (not a fluke honest).

Also been faffing with the rear anti roll bar, it does seem to work quite well but bottoms out on the boot floor seam currently. That has been marked for chopping as well as taking some off the end of the roll bar and shortening the drop links slightly.

edk83

Post by edk83 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:16 pm

Chopped some boot floor out so the arb now clears even if the suspension arm is sat on the bump stop both sides :)

Thats on the bump stop so arches shouldn't need rolling or anything, it's going to be at a usable height not slammed.

Not a bad fit and it seems to work as well, just waiting for the stiff springs to turn up.

Been messing with my center console, Allegro plugs fit on mini switches so lights, hazards will be mini. Rather close fit with the heater box but that can stay. I did check that the zr gear linkage is angled back slightly even in first so hopefully wont be punching the battery cut off!

edk83

Post by edk83 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:00 pm

So today we cut out the windscreen bar, was a bit of a mission with grinder, saw, made up ginder wheel on the drill. Its out though and temp box section fitted to stop the roof caving in!

Getting rid of the corner plates in the A pillars as well, dont think they were very safe.

Added some captive nuts to the top of the Allegro towers so some nice covers can be made later.

Boxed the boot section where the anti roll bar used to foul at full suspension travel.

Some Tig on the fuel tank now I have reinforced mounts :)

Roll cage windscreen bar is getting a 3.5" curve this week then going back in.

edk83

Post by edk83 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:34 pm

So today we have been finishing off bodywork and sorted out the roll cage windscreen bar, I can now use the factory rear view mirror and keep the interior light :) Also it won't try and bash your head in if you left the seat which can't be a bad thing.

Also added some corners in the front wings as decided I'd like to fit some Aerocatches rather than refit the rusty cable and mech, the bonnet tapers off at the edges so needed a way to mount the pins further in.

Engine bay, inside and the boot is getting painted in two weeks so next job = a lot of sanding!