which tyres ?

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

lesharvey
MGF Register Region: South East

which tyres ?

Post by lesharvey » Wed May 20, 2015 5:08 pm

Advise wanted, which all weather tyres should i fit to my MGTF with 16 wheels? :? :? :?
car will only be used for road driving, so i do not need race tyres

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Re: which tyres ?

Post by adrianclifford » Wed May 20, 2015 5:14 pm

Les, there are currently three threads running on tyres, details can be found there, however to answer your question, there are three recommended tyres the Toyo T1-R and the Falken 912 and 914 (the 914 being asymmetrical).

You will read how fussy these cars are with tyres so I would recommend a matching set front and rear, please do not mix as you may end up with handling problems.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

slippy
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire
Model of Car: TF 160 Aurora

Post by slippy » Wed May 20, 2015 5:15 pm

Whatever you do, AVOID TOYO T1R at all costs!

MGCC & Toyo will tell you that if you fit 4 x Malaysian manufactured Toyos that all should be fine (see Feb edition of Safety Fast) but this is wrong!
I fitted 4 new Toyos & it has totally ruined the handling of my 2005 MGTF160. Go for Falken ZE914.

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Wed May 20, 2015 5:23 pm

slippy wrote:Whatever you do, AVOID TOYO T1R at all costs!

MGCC & Toyo will tell you that if you fit 4 x Malaysian manufactured Toyos that all should be fine (see Feb edition of Safety Fast) but this is wrong!
I fitted 4 new Toyos & it has totally ruined the handling of my 2005 MGTF160. Go for Falken ZE914.
Really ?? I'm on my fifth set of T1-R's and I've nothing bad to say. They've performed well in hot (107 deg in Bosnia) cold - temperatures in the UK and Europe and across mountain passes, dry tracks around Europe and the awesome 1000 bends event in Germany and wet sort of everywhere. Never a scary moment or concern and a wear rate better than most (28K on the fronts and 20-21K on the rear).
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

slippy

Post by slippy » Wed May 20, 2015 5:35 pm

Im talking about the new Malaysian compound Toyos though Adrian.
I have had 3 sets of the old spec tyres & thought they were fantastic, thats why I had no hesitation in buying new Toyos to replace my GSD2s when MGCC recommended them. New Toyos are absolutely terrible & what makes things worse is the supplier JJC Race & Rally, MGCC & Toyo themselves are doing nothing about it.

I even swapped tyres with my son briefly, he has a 2004 MGTF135 with new (November) Falkens on, instantly my car behaved as it should & the poor handling transferred to his car. As it is my sons daily driver I swapped the wheels back but I just wanted to prove to myself the the car wasnt at fault.

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Wed May 20, 2015 6:43 pm

Understood now Stuart, thanks for the advice.

Kjeld Andersen
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 1,8 MPI

Post by Kjeld Andersen » Wed May 20, 2015 7:06 pm

Hi all,

Just got new Toyo`s on the rear, and now the car is undrivable, to say the least, it`s
scares the sh.. out of me. The front are also Toyo, done 25000 km, min. 50% tread left,
but this is so bad, i don`t even want to drive the car at a speed over 80 km/h. All
4 are made in Japan, so i start to give up. What can i do? Can`t change tyres every week.

Kjeld :rant:

slippy

Post by slippy » Wed May 20, 2015 7:15 pm

Kjeld Andersen wrote:Hi all,

Just got new Toyo`s on the rear, and now the car is undrivable, to say the least, it`s
scares the sh.. out of me. The front are also Toyo, done 25000 km, min. 50% tread left,
but this is so bad, i don`t even want to drive the car at a speed over 80 km/h. All
4 are made in Japan, so i start to give up. What can i do? Can`t change tyres every week.

Kjeld :rant:
Exactly.....
And if you tell Toyo of this problem, they will tell you that you need to buy new tyres for the front & it cures the problem...please dont be fooled, IT DOESN'T.
This is why Im trying to get across to people, dont buy Toyos. They take your money & then do nothing about it.

Kjeld Andersen

Post by Kjeld Andersen » Wed May 20, 2015 7:25 pm

Hi Slippy,

Had them on before, allways had trouble with the handling of the car, taken it
to Tech-Speed, got their dampers in, complient washers, tracking, and now this.
As i said, close to giving up, even with Yokohams, the car was dancing under me, don`t
know where it would go NeXT, so has any one a idea of what to do, sure it can`t be
right you have to change all 4 each time, so is it the Falkens to go for, or just
dump the car and say the MGF/TF is a horrible handling car?.

Kjeld :thumbsd:

slippy

Post by slippy » Wed May 20, 2015 7:32 pm

My TF handled perfectly well untill the Toyos were fitted & when I test fitted my sons Falkens it drove perfectly. My sons 135 with the Falkens drives great too. My handling issues are 110% down to the rubbish tyres.
Just a thought, have you checked ther wheel bearings?

Kjeld Andersen

Post by Kjeld Andersen » Wed May 20, 2015 7:38 pm

Hi Again,

No, i have not checked the weel bearings, but the car has been strange to drive
in all the 13 years i have owned it, but now, bad has gone to worse.
Will have a check on the bearings, and let you know. Have a feeling it
just the car in all, DOORRRGGGHHH :shutup:

Kjeld

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri May 22, 2015 9:22 am

Hi Kjeld, how are you keeping? It's been a while! :D

What checks have been done so far in respect to the handling? Are you over in the UK at all for MG Live/ MGF20? :)

lesharvey

Post by lesharvey » Fri May 22, 2015 1:11 pm

Thanks for all the advice, just a bit of info bought the car with 15 wheels and HiFly tyres fitted ( I'Ve never heard of them either) probably the cheapest tyre you can get for the TF but they hold the road great, I would like to upgrade to the 16 wheels so i can fit the red brake calipers

robbie1003
Model of Car: mgf 1.8mpi mk2

Post by robbie1003 » Fri May 22, 2015 3:17 pm

The Chinese imported budget tyres have had some bad press which is unfair, personally I will try anything after some homework. Our jag needed new set of tyres just after we bought it due to the typical x type geo problems, did some homework and bought a set of threeA tyres, m&s rated,extra load with higher speed rate than standard,225/45/17, cost me £145 for the set. What did I expect? Noise?, hard to ballance? Poor grip in wet? No to all of that, don't know how long they will last but so far I have no complaints. On previous vehicles iv tryed linglong which I would also use again. Some might diss the idea of budgets on a mg but a friend has some accelera on hit tf, he has no complaints,he knows he might have a bit less grip than the firestones I have on my f but he drives within their limits.

Paul Storey
MGF Register Region: East Midlands

Post by Paul Storey » Fri May 22, 2015 7:06 pm

Lesharvey :- From everything I've read on this post and others (and on the MGOC ), I'd think twice about "upgrading" to 16" wheels. Seems a TF on 16" wheels has all sorts of horror stories regarding suitable tyres . . . if nothing else it appears you're confined to one brand only ?
By comparison my "F" and your "TF" ~ both on 15" rims ~ seem to be oblivious to what tyres go on them ? My car ~ like yours ~ came complete with mickey-mouse-never-heard-of-them budget tyres including two totally different brands on the front compared to the back ! But it sticks to the road like glue, goes round corners as if it's on rails and I've had it up to *** mph without a hint of any issues. Which Tyres (your thread title) . . . it seems with 15" wheels any-old tyre at any-old price can be fitted with confidence, the complete opposite of what happens with 16" wheels.
In light of that fitting 16" wheels would be a "downgrade" wouldn't it ? What would you gain ?

alect
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 VVC

Post by alect » Sat May 23, 2015 7:48 am

Reading all these post is very confusing, on my Abingdon with 16'' wheels I have a brand new pair of Toyos, Malaysian type on the rear and a pair of virtually unused Goodyears on the front, the old rear tyres were badly worn which left the handling a bit odd, the new tyres have cured all that and now its fine. I have been on some fast motoway trips as well as throwing it aroung country lanes. I am no racing driver but I would know a bad handling car if I was driving one.
Do these tyres show up other shortcomings in the suspension due to wear?

slippy

Post by slippy » Sat May 23, 2015 7:55 am

They dont seem to be a problem on the MGF. Im sure the issue is with the 16" 215 tyres on the rear of a TF.

Plezier
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Post by Plezier » Sat May 23, 2015 9:15 am

As we are going to be needing new tyres for the 75th am looking at the Falkens in 216/40/16 ............................ just need to gather some funds to pay for them. Probably have to get two then another two in a couple of weeks.

gordonbubb
Model of Car: F SE

Post by gordonbubb » Mon May 25, 2015 1:49 pm

For what it is worth, my standard Wedgewood SE F has Event WL905 tyres on the original 16" rims. Tyre size is 215/40/16 all round and they're made in China. The car came to me with them, I have no issues with them. I run them at the handbook pressures of 24 front 28 back. This is contrary to the workshop manual which says 36 back.

In all the discussions about tyres I see very little about pressures, what do other folk use?

Gordon

Plezier
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Post by Plezier » Mon May 25, 2015 2:10 pm

Both my F's with 16" wheels run standard pressures and both have the correct XL type tyres.