which tyres ?

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Kjeld Andersen
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 1,8 MPI

Re: which tyres ?

Post by Kjeld Andersen » Mon May 25, 2015 2:14 pm

Hello Rob,

Yes, been a long time. All fine here, and hope the same for you and the Family.

No checks on the car so far, as changing the rears made it strange, so sure
the fault is there. Seems a little better now, as the car has done ca. 300 km on the
new rears, so hope it will improve.

Yes, we will be at MGF20, so hope to see you there, and if you have any
of you good ideas of what to do, please let me know. :thumbsu:

Kjeld

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Tue May 26, 2015 9:28 am

Hi Kjeld,
Sorry to hear about horrible handling. I have used at least 6 sets of Japanese made Toyos on 15" wheels (and one set on 16")and would offer two cautions. New tyres on the back with old on the front is always a bit of a handful at first. Secondly there is a layer of slightly different compound on the outside which scrubs off with noticeable improvement after 500 miles even when all 4 tyres are changed at the same time. Take it steady and they will improve... Does the height need attention? Looking forward to MGF20!
Charles

v8moneypit
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by v8moneypit » Thu May 28, 2015 9:07 pm

Just had a full set of Japanese Toyo's fitted and they felt ridiculously light at the back. Then I found that the garage had set the rears at 36psi! I've dropped the pressures to 26 front and 28 rear and what a difference!

If anyone is looking for Japanese made Toyo's, mine came from http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/
Rgds
Steve

slippy
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire
Model of Car: TF 160 Aurora

Post by slippy » Thu May 28, 2015 9:24 pm

The issue with the dodgy Toyos only seems to affect TFs not MGFs & only seems to affect 16" tyres.
And Japanese Toyos made from October 2014 are the same compound as the Maleysian Toyos.

v8moneypit

Post by v8moneypit » Fri May 29, 2015 2:05 pm

Ah OK. I'd read so much about this issue, but obviously not quite enough! :-)
Rgds
Steve

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Fri May 29, 2015 4:36 pm

Steve, I would be a little concerned at 28 rears. 26 or 28 front is fine, I've run both but I found the best rear pressure at 34, 36 makes the back end a little light at speed. You may encounter tyre wear on the outside tread sections at that pressure, however I listen to what I'm told and I cannot comment on the "new" Japanese Toyo's.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

slippy

Post by slippy » Fri May 29, 2015 4:41 pm

On a TF with 16" wheels, Toyo recommended 25 psi on the front & 30.5 psi at the rear to try to combat the poor handling issue. Personally I dont think Toyo should be advising people to deviate from MG recommended pressures.

fatbaldingoldgit
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MG TF LE500 #493

Post by fatbaldingoldgit » Fri May 29, 2015 5:48 pm

slippy wrote:On a TF with 16" wheels, Toyo recommended 25 psi on the front & 30.5 psi at the rear to try to combat the poor handling issue. Personally I dont think Toyo should be advising people to deviate from MG recommended pressures.
I've not seen that documented anywhere...not doubting you at all but is it published somewhere for all to see?..it might help those who are struggling with mixed Toyo's..
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

v8moneypit

Post by v8moneypit » Fri May 29, 2015 8:36 pm

adrianclifford wrote:Steve, I would be a little concerned at 28 rears. 26 or 28 front is fine, I've run both but I found the best rear pressure at 34, 36 makes the back end a little light at speed. You may encounter tyre wear on the outside tread sections at that pressure, however I listen to what I'm told and I cannot comment on the "new" Japanese Toyo's.
I read 28 in the handbook, but I might have misread it! I will check again tomorrow when I get up to the workshop. It was running 26/28 on the mixed make tyres and it was fine apart from in the wet when it was lethal (!). With 36 in the rear on the new rubber it was all over the place even in the dry in a straight line!

Edit:
Having said that, when I checked the garage pressures, my gauge was showing 29 front and 40 rear! My gauge and pump both show the same so I am reasonably confident that they are correct. I'll get the garage to check their gauge.

I'll report back once I have a chance to try it out on the road.
Rgds
Steve

beefio
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC BRG

Post by beefio » Fri May 29, 2015 8:46 pm

My MY2000 handbook says 24 front 28 rear for 215/40/16's so that's what I've been using with no issues...

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Fri May 29, 2015 8:54 pm

F pressure could well be totally different to TF pressures I guess 8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

malcolm64
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGF1.8i

Post by malcolm64 » Fri May 29, 2015 9:03 pm

On my F i use 28 front 34 rear with no problem

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

slippy

Post by slippy » Fri May 29, 2015 9:16 pm

fatbaldingoldgit wrote:
slippy wrote:On a TF with 16" wheels, Toyo recommended 25 psi on the front & 30.5 psi at the rear to try to combat the poor handling issue. Personally I dont think Toyo should be advising people to deviate from MG recommended pressures.
I've not seen that documented anywhere...not doubting you at all but is it published somewhere for all to see?..it might help those who are struggling with mixed Toyo's..
This info was directly to myself by email from Alan Meaker, Sales & Technical Director of Toyo UK. This was advised by his head office in Japan after I complained several times about the tyres.

fatbaldingoldgit

Post by fatbaldingoldgit » Fri May 29, 2015 10:24 pm

Thanks Slippy..

I wonder why the 0.5psi is significant...why not 30psi or 31psi?....did Alan say what testing they had performed to arrive at these figures?
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

slippy

Post by slippy » Fri May 29, 2015 10:33 pm

He didnt indicate what, if any testing had been done but he did say they sent a set to Brown & Gammon to try on one of their cars & they felt they were ok.
My issue with that is, the guy who tested them may not drive a TF on a day to day basis, did they compare them to a TF with good tyres etc??
He has now sent some tyres to MG & awaiting their opinion.

fatbaldingoldgit

Post by fatbaldingoldgit » Fri May 29, 2015 11:49 pm

slippy wrote:He didnt indicate what, if any testing had been done but he did say they sent a set to Brown & Gammon to try on one of their cars & they felt they were ok.
My issue with that is, the guy who tested them may not drive a TF on a day to day basis, did they compare them to a TF with good tyres etc??
He has now sent some tyres to MG & awaiting their opinion.
Aha..so maybe they will test them..dunno how though since they don't make 'em any more...
- Frank Zappa

v8moneypit

Post by v8moneypit » Sat May 30, 2015 12:47 pm

There's the 26/28 on 15" rims in Beffios post. That's what I saw in my handbook. I'll run with it and see how I get on.
Rgds
Steve

zed1
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire

Post by zed1 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:45 pm

all sounds odd I had goodyear f1 eagles all round and handling was fine but would tramline something rotten esp. on motorways , had a blow out on m25 on the rear so replaced both tyres with t1r's felt like driving on ice for 200 or 300 miles then fine , then had blowout on front! put t1r's on both wheels now handles better than ever no tramlining steering feels great would 100% recommend them to anyone. only time I've put new tyres on a car and noticed a real difference

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Post by Plezier » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:20 am

What I am finding extremely odd is that the Toyos have a poor wet rating according to the tyre label and in fact their rating is no betetr, in fact I think it's the same, as the Events that every one lamblasts for beign rubbish :? Yet people not only rate the Toyos but defend their performance :o .

Well yesterday I discovered that only one of the tyres that were on the 75th is in fact usable and that is the Nexan N3000 all 3 of the Goodyears are in fact no good at all. The one which was on the rear had a large scallop torn out by the inner rim that has cut deep enough to expose the cords. Impact damage no doubt as the tyre wall is splitting just above the scalloped out bit. So in reality I need a new set of 4 tyres now :roll: . The expense just keeps adding up on this one.

So I will steal "Elsie's" front wheels for her and have just managed to get a pair of matching tyres to match the fronts. Then later will have to get 4 new for "Elsie" :sf: .

Edit:- Dammit :rant: just removed the fronts off "Elsie" and found both are worn to excess on the inner edge so now have to find another 2 tyres and she won't have a matching set after all.

slippy

Post by slippy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:43 am

Got my car back to normal now.
Removed the Toyos & fitted a set of Falken ZE 914s. Had a blast up the motorway yesterday & a couple of fast country roads & it feels fantastic. You can feel the road, no wallowing, no tram lining & the back end stays behind you.......which is a bonus!
Toyos on ebay with a caution about fitting to TFs.