TF Race Car Build

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

flyingbanana
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Re: TF Race Car Build

Post by flyingbanana » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:20 pm

ErikB wrote:Nice and interesting thread !!
Good idea to relocate the fusebox. Labeling and documenting is important as time for troubleshooting is often limited and expensive (trackday time is counting)

Will you be using the competition hardtop or just top down all the way ?
Got a hardtop and will be keeping the loom as oe other than removed items to keep fault find easier.

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:26 pm

Rob Bell wrote:I am planning to get Protech shocks too - when I convert to TF suspension :)

Loving this thread!
Spoke to them last week and found out what a previous problem had been when their units have been used on TFs, the 12mm bolt was failing - I have a solution for that which I used with the coilovers on the metro with a 10mm bolt. Will get the knocked up and post it later.

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:27 pm

Now that the replacement front section of the cage has arrived from Safety Devices I have been able to finish welding in the reinforcement plates. I have also welded reinforcement plates for mounting the seat to the floor and harness anchor points.

I also welded some m6 nuts to repair washers and welded them into the passenger side to mount the fire extinguisher.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:16 am

Are you going to re-inforce the floor in case of side impact? On the MGF Cup cars, the floor side reinforcement panel was replaced with 2" box

I've kept the reinforcement panels on the 'Shed for now - but might "loose" them later ;)

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:33 pm

Rob Bell wrote:Are you going to re-inforce the floor in case of side impact? On the MGF Cup cars, the floor side reinforcement panel was replaced with 2" box

I've kept the reinforcement panels on the 'Shed for now - but might "loose" them later ;)
I'm going to put a roll cage tube between the B pillar cage uprights and bolt to the 'tunnel' and a length of CDS at floor height in front of the seat.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:48 pm

That should work nicely :)

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:49 pm

PS If you need an FIA approved cage, I don't think you're allowed to modify it in any way??? I'd have to check the Blue book for confirmation though...

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:17 pm

The B pillar bracing will be a bolt in affair which the blue book will allow - a bit like adding door bars.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:01 pm

Ah - perfect! :thumbsu:

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:52 pm

flyingbanana wrote:
Spoke to them last week and found out what a previous problem had been when their units have been used on TFs, the 12mm bolt was failing - I have a solution for that which I used with the coilovers on the metro with a 10mm bolt. Will get the knocked up and post it later.
Is it the the lower coilover to top arm bolts?

There is a mod used on the last TFs that uses a stud with a shoulder part way along it instead of the bolt. Said to be far more robust.

See viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20294&p=157481&hilit=bolts#p157481

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:40 am

My solution puts the bolt on double shear rather than single.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:09 pm

Are you buying direct from Protech or from Phil Greenwood? Phil I think has redesigned the lower mounting?

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:32 pm

Rob Bell wrote:Are you buying direct from Protech or from Phil Greenwood? Phil I think has redesigned the lower mounting?
I already have a full set of 400 series with spherical bearings, just ordered 2 x stem tops and 2 x 2.25 platforms and top collars. Not sure who I spoke to on the phone, but I told him that when I've fabricated the stiffening bracket for the lower mount I would send them some pictures of my agricultural engineering.

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:03 pm

Built the exhaust system today, my aim was to increase its length over a standard one.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:07 pm

Nice one, one of the main reasons I am learning to weld is to do things with exhausts.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:46 am

Looks good! Why did you want to increase the length of the pipe? Twin straight-through box silencers a nice idea, and should get you through noise testing :)

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:42 pm

Rob Bell wrote:Looks good! Why did you want to increase the length of the pipe? Twin straight-through box silencers a nice idea, and should get you through noise testing :)
No Cat Rob, and this should give me the same length as a ZR which seem to be quicker than TFs on the race track - whether the chimney has anything to do with it...

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:56 pm

flyingbanana wrote:
Rob Bell wrote:Looks good! Why did you want to increase the length of the pipe? Twin straight-through box silencers a nice idea, and should get you through noise testing :)
No Cat Rob, and this should give me the same length as a ZR which seem to be quicker than TFs on the race track - whether the chimney has anything to do with it...
A ZR will always be quicker than a TF with the same engine in them both. The ZR is lighter! Thats why the TF's struggled against the ZR's in the MGCC Trophy Championship. I know one very well respected team were even stripping out unon critical wires out of the loom to try and get down to the weight of the ZR's in the same class 8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:58 pm

To be honest, the MGCC should have split MGFs and ZRs IMO

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:16 pm

colintf wrote:
flyingbanana wrote:
A ZR will always be quicker than a TF with the same engine in them both. The ZR is lighter! Thats why the TF's struggled against the ZR's in the MGCC Trophy Championship. I know one very well respected team were even stripping out unon critical wires out of the loom to try and get down to the weight of the ZR's in the same class 8-)
What weight do they get them down to, my base car is a 115 which has an unladen weight of 1095kg where as a zr is 1145. I'm shedding a load of weight from the suspension with alloy bodied coilovers and hispec/wilwood calipers.