TF Race Car Build

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

flyingbanana
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Re: TF Race Car Build

Post by flyingbanana » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:34 pm

Rob,
That was due to the space frame design I came up with as I didn't have to worry about bodywork. I will be going box section for a subframe for the front which will will not have to support an engine, the rear will take a little bit of though though...

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:56 pm

Here are links to the V8 Metro Ralph who runs Component Engineering build thread for the parts covering the front subframe. I honestly think it is overengineer.

http://www.metropower.org.uk/forum/foru ... &start=251

http://www.metropower.org.uk/forum/foru ... &start=276

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:03 pm

I love Ralph's V8 Metro - and love the fact that he is slowly going round the car remaking stuff in titanium! :lol:

I could do with some titanium door hinges - the standard items weigh far too much IMO ;)

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:59 am

I had Ralph turn up the bottom suspension components for the spaceframe car in Ti for me - tube nut for the rod end and lower ball joint stub for the hub carrier. I'll get some pics of the bottom and top arms i made.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:37 pm

Very nice. Ralph is a top bloke! I think he'd turn his hand to almost anything if asked!

I haven't yet asked him to make up something for me - other than adjustable knuckles. My fault - I haven't yet been able to supply him with a pair (front and rear) displacer cones + knuckles... but he has a nice solution that looks very similar to one I have seen on a Metro racer and has been discussed here sometime last year I think?

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:31 am

Well, at long last I have paid Hi Spec for the 284x22 disc conversion with RS114-4 calipers. But now they tell me it could be upto 28 days before I get them. I placed the initial request for quote and diagrams 14/1 at autosport - the quality of their customer service certainly takes a lot to be desired, I have constantly had to chase them when they have told me they would get back to me. :(

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:49 pm

HiSpec have that reputation unfortunately... :(

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:59 pm

Front droplinks arrived yesterday from mgfmania so finished reassembling the front subframe and refitted it. Sat the car back on it's front wheels for the first time in 4 months. Nearly at the point where I can drop the rear subframe - I've removed all but one of the rear mounting bolts on each side but I have a feeling the inner bolts on the front mounts will both shear :(.

Might have to lower the front coilovers :), 4x4 look going on.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:26 pm

Hydragas is a bit easier in this regard! I'm running 350-380 psi that gives a sensible ride height - and a surprisingly reasonable ride! :lol:

I have a pair of those drop links to fit too... Probably won't get chance today though :(

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:04 am

Well engine came out yesterday - only sheared one bolt O/S outer front subrame one, think I will drill it out and the weld a nut to a bit of steel and weld it in.

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:24 pm

Engine/gearbox removed from subframe - what a ball ache seized bolts and who puts steel bolts into alloy without any sort of anti seize compound? Just glad I using the metro engine mount. Subframe then stripped, will need to order 2 more upper ball joints due to thread damage and I had to cut the rod end off the long link arm on one side - can you get replacement ones?
Cleaned up the rust and left it with rust killer painted on it.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:46 am

Ah yes, electrolytic corrosion. No idea why MG Rover liked putting steel bolts into alloy? I guess they saved a few pennies by not using jointing compound, and people won't experience the consequence during the projected 10 year life span of the vehicle... :roll:

A Metro engine mount? How does this differ from the original? Steel? Heavier?

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:01 pm

Rob Bell wrote: A Metro engine mount? How does this differ from the original? Steel? Heavier?
I'll get some pics, I run the engine solid mounted with nylon bushes.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:44 pm

Interesting! A bit cheaper than a Vibratechnics mount then! Might have a bit more in terms of NVH though - but hey, this is a race car? :)

Look forward to seeing the pictures :thumbsu:

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:55 pm

So here is my solid Metro engine mount.

Here is the modified MGF solid gearbox mount, 10mm nylon block sits between the subframe arm and the mount, steel plate welded on top and a hole drilled in the arm to move the mount back so everything lines up properly.

Engine stabiliser shortened and again plate welded onto it to remove flex from the rubber mount.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:26 am

Looks interesting: you are fabricating your own engine support frame?

Spent yesterday playing with an arc welder. Might have to seam weld the subframe D in the garage now! :)

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:58 pm

Dropped the engine into the subframe yesterday.

Then noticed the difference between the front of the engine mount arm and gearbox arm, so decided to offer up the compliance bush. It wouldn't fit the engine mount arm, so trimmed it down,still wasn't happy so decided to modify the RHS compliance bush to be the same as LHS one fitting under the asm.

Also had workshops drill out the threads on the top arms to 12mm in their drill press after nearly breaking my wrist doing the front ones. I cleaned the rust up today and resprayed them pantone green as that was the colour off my old metro race car the engine has come from.

Next task - fit the polybush kit for the rear. How the hell do you get the bushes out of 13yr old arms?

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:04 am

Speak to Jerry (MGTFnut) :)

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:52 am

Managed to get one out this morning whilst I was getting the windscreen replaced on the Trophy, once I had the rubber out I used a reciprocating saw to cut the metal left behind and it just dropped out. I am also fighting with the lock nuts on the short link arms, got one stripped down but the other one...
Can anyone tell me the thread pitch for the long link arm rod ends and the upper ball joints?

ErikB
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF PTP RT-Sport 165

Post by ErikB » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:38 pm

Nice reinforced front subframe (previous page). Does the body need any modification to fit it again?