TF Race Car Build

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: TF Race Car Build

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:23 pm

The long pipe might have an advantage if, like optimised manifolds, you can generate a scavenging negative pulse wave reflected back to the cylinder head at the right time. I suspect that the F1 teams have supercomputers to model this. For those of us who live in the world of CAD (cardboard assisted design), it can probably only be a best guess, some simple or not-so-simple mathmatics and trial and error!

I like this design. I've also got a straight-through back box (single exit pipe, exits the other side to yours) - but I have to retain the cat for the class I run in :)

Weight-wise, I am down to 995kg with plastic boot and bonnet. The cage unfortunately added a bunch more - but a useful saving of over 100kg from the original car (an example of which I weighed at the same time on the same weigh bridge at Donington Park race track 18 months ago) :)

I am still using the original boat anchor calipers - but use alloy-belled 280mm rotors :) I hope to drop another 50kg if I can...

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:52 pm

colintf wrote:....A ZR will always be quicker than a TF with the same engine in them both. The ZR is lighter!....
I have often driven our mk1 VVC MGF (143bhp) back to back with my wife's mk1 ZR 160 (160bhp).

The ZR is defiantly more powerful but F is quicker, both in a straight line and on the twisty stuff.

To be fair the F has a 52mm TB and a K&N Apollo but the ZR does have a "louder" exhaust.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:13 am

There may be quite a difference between road and race trim James - the disappearance of MGFs/TFs from the grid and the proliferation of ZRs seems to suggest that the ZR is the more competitive...

Ideally, it would be good to encourage an MGF/TF only grid - but that'd be pointless if only one or two cars ever turned up - and I suspect that the decision to mix MGF and MGZR was probably a pragmatic one based on numbers.

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:15 pm

Rob Bell wrote:There may be quite a difference between road and race trim James - the disappearance of MGFs/TFs from the grid and the proliferation of ZRs seems to suggest that the ZR is the more competitive...

Ideally, it would be good to encourage an MGF/TF only grid - but that'd be pointless if only one or two cars ever turned up - and I suspect that the decision to mix MGF and MGZR was probably a pragmatic one based on numbers.
ask Paul Luti why he went from ZR to TF and then back to TF - the TF could not be brought down to the ZR weight and so was never as competitive within the Trophy Championship. Despite this though, he still managed several TF wins though 8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:53 pm

What weight did Paul get his TF down to, do you know Colin?

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:11 pm

Rob Bell wrote:What weight did Paul get his TF down to, do you know Colin?
No I don't Rob, but within the regs it too heavy compared to the ZR to be competitive enough 8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:38 pm

Just wondering! I haven't got Project Shed down to the weight I want to get it to yet - but plenty of things still to loose - EPAS column, change to ULW wheels, cut out the inner door, have another think about plastic windows etc etc... :) 950kg is my target. In my dreams, I'd like to see less than 900kg, but I think I'd be looking at carbon boot and bonnet, wings and bumpers. Plus titanium bolts and door hinges etc - the cost starts to go exponential once the easy stuff has been done! :?

flyingbanana
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Post by flyingbanana » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:49 pm

Rob Bell wrote:Just wondering! I haven't got Project Shed down to the weight I want to get it to yet - but plenty of things still to loose - EPAS column, change to ULW wheels, cut out the inner door, have another think about plastic windows etc etc... :) 950kg is my target. In my dreams, I'd like to see less than 900kg, but I think I'd be looking at carbon boot and bonnet, wings and bumpers. Plus titanium bolts and door hinges etc - the cost starts to go exponential once the easy stuff has been done! :?
Tubular subframes, easy to make and so much lighter. That will be my ongoing project once the car is finished, if you make them you can make your own arms for the front which will allow caster/camber adjusment. I will dig out some pics of the spaceframe metro I was building.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:27 pm

I have been giving some serious thought to fabricating tubular subdrames! Will be very VERY interested if this is something that you are also making! :D

Probably the first step will be to make a "negative" jig of the standard subframe body mounting and the suspension hard points. I agree with you: it should be possible to fabricate something that is both stiffer and lighter than the original items? And caster/ camber adjustment would be nice :)

I've been really enjoying watching Project Binky - these guys are pure genius where it comes to shoe-horning in the 4WD running gear, transmission and 2.0 litre turbo engine from a Toyota Celica GT-Four into a humble Mini 1000!!!

Many happy hours watching that lot (instead of some dreary stuff on TV!) :D 8-)

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:25 pm

Here's some pics of the spaceframe front end.

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:36 am

The last 2 pictures show the cup car dry sump pump I have.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:40 pm

AH! That's what that is, it did have me scratching my head! :lol:

Nice fabrication with the space frame :thumbsu:

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:44 pm

So front subframe off and stripped down. Now covered in rust converter. I now need to get two upper ball joints and track rod ends as I can't get the bloody nuts to thread back on to them :x

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:43 pm

Front subframe got the attention of the grinder and welder this today. Removed the factory reinforcing boxes that replace the engine mounts and put CDS tube in as per the cup front subframes.

I also cut off the 4 'towing eyes' as will not be required and every bit of weight off the over engineered subframe is a bonus, already working out a tubular version in my head. Also welded up a few seams where they appear to have spread a little and painted it with dinitrol rust killer epoxy primer and dinitrol stone chip paint.

Next task get the rubber bushes out of the lower wishbones and replace with polyurethane ones and paint.
Last edited by flyingbanana on Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:40 pm

Cool work but do the regulations not call for front and rear tow eyes in case of accident or incident requiring a tow?
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:34 am

talkingcars wrote:Cool work but do the regulations not call for front and rear tow eyes in case of accident or incident requiring a tow?
Yes, I'm fitting a towing strap - the factory towing points would be useless as no easy access, especially if you beach it in a gravel trap.

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:59 pm

This afternoon I got after much fighting both upper ball joints replaced on the front hubs, cleaned up and repainted the lower wish bones, fitted poly bushes to the wishbones and refitted them to the front subframe.

I also started work on the bracket to but the lower suspension mount into double shear, just need to get some 25mm wide steel bar to finish the fabrication.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:30 pm

Looking good :thumbsu:

I keep thing of how to fabricate a tubular subframe... CDS tube, but where to get the tube bent?

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:30 am

Rob Bell wrote:Looking good :thumbsu:

I keep thing of how to fabricate a tubular subframe... CDS tube, but where to get the tube bent?
25mm box section is fine and easier to work with - most kit cars are built with box section.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:25 am

Looks as though you used a combination of the two?