TF Race Car Build

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

flyingbanana
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Re: TF Race Car Build

Post by flyingbanana » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:14 pm

ErikB wrote:Nice reinforced front subframe (previous page). Does the body need any modification to fit it again?
No body mods required and sheds a bit of weight, I used 25mm cds.

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:25 pm

Well whilst the roller shutter doors on the motor club were having some work done and I had to be there I thought it would be rude not to do some work on the race car. Got the second short rear tie rod stripped apart and the poly bush fitted :), so that's both of them done. I then attacked one of the compliance bushes and managed to get the old rubber bush out and the poly bush fitted in it :D.

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:07 pm

Rear short tie bar stripped apart rubber bushes replaced with polyurethane ones and compliance bushes rubber bushes replaced with polyurethane ones and the the whole lot cleaned up and resprayed.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:07 pm

Looking good in freshly painted "X-Power" Green!

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:49 pm

Amongst other things I made the template for the Wilwood 2 pot caliper 280mm rear disc conversion - next stop will be station workshops, where they will hopefully reproduce two new brackets for me.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:10 am

I guess no need for a hand brake mechanism on your race car? :)

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:41 am

Rob Bell wrote:I guess no need for a hand brake mechanism on your race car? :)
Nope, but I am fitting a hydraulic hand brake.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:25 pm

Nice!

I should have a look, but do you know whether HiSpec do a mechanical handbrake with their calipers? I think they do, but I recall that Allen and Andrew had to have it modified to suit the MGF application (direction of cable travel)...

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:40 pm

Rob Bell wrote:Nice!

I should have a look, but do you know whether HiSpec do a mechanical handbrake with their calipers? I think they do, but I recall that Allen and Andrew had to have it modified to suit the MGF application (direction of cable travel)...
both wilwood and hispec do a cable operated handbrake 2/4pot rear caliper. or you could use a spot brake.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:16 pm

Okay, so here's a question: other than cost and availability, how would you decide between HiSpec and Wilwood? They're both nice and light weight! I'd be looking to find calipers with equivalent piston areas to the original calipers, hopefully in an effort not to confuse the elderly Bosch 5.0 ABS too much!

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:51 pm

Rob Bell wrote:Okay, so here's a question: other than cost and availability, how would you decide between HiSpec and Wilwood? They're both nice and light weight! I'd be looking to find calipers with equivalent piston areas to the original calipers, hopefully in an effort not to confuse the elderly Bosch 5.0 ABS too much!
To be honest I would use the Hi Spec ones despite their poor customer service as the mod has already been done for MGFs so the work required is documented. There is nothing worse than having to work out engineering solutions for custom work when you are the first to do it. Piston size as long as the piston is no bigger than the single that will be fine.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:13 pm

You're right: HiSpec have had their alloy front calipers made for 280mm MGF brake conversions for many years now. Not sure about the rear, but there again - I am probably looking at it on your last post? Same equivalent piston area as the original sliding caliper?

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:16 pm

Rob Bell wrote:..........hopefully in an effort not to confuse the elderly Bosch 5.0 ABS too much!
ABS on a race car?
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:19 pm

Rob Bell wrote:You're right: HiSpec have had their alloy front calipers made for 280mm MGF brake conversions for many years now. Not sure about the rear, but there again - I am probably looking at it on your last post? Same equivalent piston area as the original sliding caliper?
My rears are Wilwood Dynapro singles, but here is a hispec conversion viewtopic.php?t=16176

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:12 pm

talkingcars wrote:
Rob Bell wrote:..........hopefully in an effort not to confuse the elderly Bosch 5.0 ABS too much!
ABS on a race car?
Surprisingly yes: although I've braced the servo and have braided hoses and the brake fluid is fresh and well bleed, MGF brakes are still not the most feelsome and it is challenging to cadance brake without actually breaching the limit of adhesion (or not even reach it). Although primitive in today's terms, the Shed brakes fantastically well on ABS - even on a cold and greasy Castle Combe track in October! If I want to inhibit it, I can - I can fit an inhibitor switch.

One day I may get rid of the ABS to save yet more weight, but I'll need to get the brake feel and feedback a bit better than it is today...

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:25 pm

I'm luck that I have a homologation Trophy and therefore have no ABS on it, so I'm used to not having it :D. My R888Rs will be here tomorrow 205/50/15 for the rear and 195/50/15 for the front and I dropped the caliper bracket off at workshops today, they will make one out of plastic first and if it is fine will produce two out of alloy :)

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:15 am

My other MGF has no ABS either - so I am happy with not having it, but I have actually been very impressed with how well the Bosch systems works on the Shed! I had the fastest times in the wet and cold at the start of the day, and only fell back to higher power cars later when the track dried out! Alot of that was the encouranging stability I had underbraking! :thumbsu:

ErikB
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF PTP RT-Sport 165

Post by ErikB » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:27 pm

I think it isn't a bad idea and a good learning technique to feel ABS kicking in as it is more obvious/noticable than locking up a wheel.
Afterall you don't want to lock up a wheel....

my opinion

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:23 pm

With the tyres I have (Federal 575RSR), the ABS isn't called upon terribly often! :)

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:56 pm

So, I discovered when swapping over the fuel pipes on the inlet manifold, that the mounting points for the return pipe are different on plastic ones and VVC. So had to break the bracket from the plastic return pipe and use the VVC one as a template and glue it back on in the right place.

Changed the cambelts today, then welded up the end of the engine mount arm after I cut the end off to match the gearbox one. Fitted the N/S hub and fitted the OS radius arm onto the compliance bush, I haven't refitted the other hub as it will make my life easier to remove the sump the fit the baffle plate.