Bigger Wheels on an MGF

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Androlyn
MGF Register Region: South Coast

Bigger Wheels on an MGF

Post by Androlyn » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:35 pm

I must say before I start this I am no "Boy Racer" :lol:
My 2001 MGF has 15" Wheels, not the correct type for the model year but MG all the same. They are not cosmetically in good shape but the budget Tyres are legal so all is well in that department for now.
I have been looking at maybe getting hold of a set of 16" Wheels as I do prefer the Wheel Arches to have more Alloy in them :thumbsu:
What are my possibilities, I see the "Hairpin" looks good and was fitted to the F at some point, I also like the 16" "Trophy" or is it 11 Spoke Wheels fitted to some TF's but not sure if that would be "correct"?
I naturally want what ever I put on to be safe as the wheel and tyre combination needs to suit my MGF, the suspension was pumped up last week and is currently still up so I have more room than two weeks ago in the Arches.
Any photo's to look at, any nice sets for sale?????
Andrew

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Bigger Wheels on an MGF

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:20 pm

Essentially, any wheel ever fitted to any model of MGF or TF can be fitted safely to any other.

For MGFs, there is a modified bump stop that Rover specified with the larger wheels - but I've never bothered with them, and I've had 16" wheels for many, many years. The car still lives ;)

The key consideration for 16" wheel styles tends to be what brakes you intend to fit. You currently have 240mm brake discs front and rear, but if you were to fit the AP racing 304mm front rotors with the 4-pot calipers, you'd need to fit 11-spoke Trophy or 11-spoke TF 16" wheels. The V-spokes also fit, and of course, so do the Ultra-light weights (good luck finding a set of those!) Also pretty rare are the "Twist of Pepper" 16" wheels found on the 85LE.

A list of the various wheels can be found here: http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/suspen ... he_mgf.htm I've tried to include wheel weights where I can, but the list is sadly incomplete. If anyone can help complete the list, that would be gratefully appreciated! :)

Which to choose? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! ;)

Tyres? Go with the current MG Motor recommendation of Falken 914s.

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:29 pm

Andrew, the latest issue of Safety Fast has a picture of the F and TF wheels in my data appeal.

So you're in the picture, your wheels are correct for your car, both 15 & 16" wheels were used through the MY2000 range.
Your wheel arches should have no more alloy in them, as you say. The 15" wheels will have 55 series tyres on the front and 50 series on the back, the 16" wheels should have 45 series tyres on the front and 40 series on the back. This is to ensure the rolling road radius is the same therefore you can change from one to the other and your mileometer/speedo will be unaffected.

Again the pictures will show the difference between the Trophy and the TF 11 spoke wheels, look closely at the shoulders and you'll see the difference :

Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:35 pm

Talking of tyres Rob, have you heard the adverts for the new Goodyear asymetric Eagles ? I wonder what they're like ?
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:13 am

Might be interesting to find out Adrian :)

richandpaula
MGF Register Region: North West

Post by richandpaula » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:37 am

With the contrast between the current black wheels and the bright orange wheel arches on 'Jaffa' - you really notice how much space there is!
I'd be interested to see what's available if you look to go bigger than the standard 16" wheels available to fill these arches - probably not a lot with the unusual PCD and why some have looked at hub adapters and the more general 5 stud approach?

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:34 pm

17" have been fitted in the past - beyond that, you're practically looking at direct alloy contact with the road because the tyres will be so low profile, they'll be thinner than a rubber band! :lol:

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:28 pm

Rich/Andrew, these will give you an idea. These are from Mike Satur (this was my F in 2006) they are Alessio Alaska's and they are the same as the standard TF 11 spoke 7.5" but in 17" format.

To be accurate I should have fitted 35 profile tyres to keep the rolling radius true, but, as Rob says it would have been like an elastic band on the alloy and would have produced a harsher ride so I left them as they were with 40's.

General Dynamics also do a straight fit (and attractive) wheel in 7.5x16" for the F/TF, I'll try to dig out a picture.

These did not foul the wheel arch, only the liner on a full lock.

Androlyn

Post by Androlyn » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:41 pm

Those 17" look smart, need to be sure of your suspension holding up though I guess.

Are the wheel nuts from a 15" MG wheel OK to use on a 16" 11 Spoke MG wheel, the 16" wheels seem to sit away from the hub more than a 15" and have wider tyres?
Andrew

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:54 pm

As far as I'm aware Andrew, there is only one wheel nut for the whole range. However they are prone to stripping the outer casing so for over 10 years I've used billeted aluminium nuts and a Mc Guard locker.

Androlyn

Post by Androlyn » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:01 pm

adrianclifford wrote:As far as I'm aware Andrew, there is only one wheel nut for the whole range. However they are prone to stripping the outer casing so for over 10 years I've used billeted aluminium nuts and a Mc Guard locker.
OK thank you, they sound expensive?
Where do you get them from please?
Andrew

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:21 pm

I bought 50 sets from Sweden many years back and the Mc Guards at Stoneleigh.

wildcat45
MGF Register Region: North East

Post by wildcat45 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:11 pm

I've put 16 inch Trophy wheels on my MY2001 F.

They fit fine.
Attachments
image.png

wildcat45
MGF Register Region: North East

Post by wildcat45 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:13 pm

My previous F had 11 spokes from a TF
Attachments
image.jpeg

richandpaula
MGF Register Region: North West

Post by richandpaula » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:26 am

Both of our cars have the bigger AP brakes and 16" TF wheels.

Those 17" look great! :thumbsu:

ErikB
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF PTP RT-Sport 165

Post by ErikB » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:02 am

Every 16" MGF/TF wheel will suit an MGF in Anthracite. It's up to your personal taste and future brake upgrade plans.

http://www.mgtf.be/wheels

TF 11-spokes in whatever finish is more common or more easily found than the Trophy's.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:23 pm

The Trophy alloys are really really nice. One of my favourite designs. But they are also very very heavy :(

ErikB
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF PTP RT-Sport 165

Post by ErikB » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:13 pm

Rob Bell wrote:The Trophy alloys are really really nice. One of my favourite designs. But they are also very very heavy :(
I agree, and always found it strange that these wheels were MG Rover's solution for the Trophy. A car that focuses more on sportyness than eny other MGF before. About 1 year later they have the ULW's in Sports Pack 3 for the all new TF.

Androlyn

Post by Androlyn » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:27 pm

Got hold of some nice 16" 11 Spoke which I am very pleased with, should probably have spent the money on the mechanicals but wheels can help make a car :D
Mechanicals are still being sorted though :thumbsu:
Andrew

sniperpenguin
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by sniperpenguin » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:37 pm

adrianclifford wrote:Rich/Andrew, these will give you an idea. These are from Mike Satur (this was my F in 2006) they are Alessio Alaska's and they are the same as the standard TF 11 spoke 7.5" but in 17" format.

To be accurate I should have fitted 35 profile tyres to keep the rolling radius true, but, as Rob says it would have been like an elastic band on the alloy and would have produced a harsher ride so I left them as they were with 40's.

General Dynamics also do a straight fit (and attractive) wheel in 7.5x16" for the F/TF, I'll try to dig out a picture.

These did not foul the wheel arch, only the liner on a full lock.

I have these exact wheels sitting in my shed Adrian, so if you know someone who wants a set let me know ;)
'53 MGTF 135 Monogram Lagoon
'54 MGTF 115 Monogram Biomorphic (Work in Progress!)
Coloured seatbelts here - http://www.facebook.com/mgbelts