Tall people..are mgf and tf uncomfortable?

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

DanieleT
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Tall people..are mgf and tf uncomfortable?

Post by DanieleT » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:18 pm

Hi to everyone,
I've recently fallen into the fold of being an mg tf owner.
I must admit that I have very quickly fallen in love with the car in spite of having driven much more powerful and much more expensive cars.
It just tickles my tackle. ... that being said I have an issue and wondered how other tall drivers fare.

I'm 6'4" and have rather long legs...driving isn't an issue but I have developed a sod of a pain in my left knee at though it is twisted.
I do think this is from driving the TF and wondered if anyone else has had similar issues? Does your body get used to it or does it ease away in time etc?

I will add that I am extremery fit and very supple also.
Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Kind regards
Daniele

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Tall people..are mgf and tf uncomfortable?

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:54 am

These cars don't have the ideal seating arrangement - and particularly not for very tall drivers. It isn't exactly uncomfortable, but as you've noticed, the clearance for the legs isn't ideal.

I'll save the reasons for the compromise from the factory for another day.

A partial solution is possible - there are a couple of seat lowering kits available. One is essentially a saggier seat base spring. The other (the VHS kit) is actually a genuinely lowered seat mounting for the base springs. The latter is probably the better option. I'm just 6', so I haven't fitted it (but have considered it frequently!) Others, I am sure, can provide their own reviews :)

LeRich
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by LeRich » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:13 pm

I'm 6'3" and of average build. I fit in my TF reasonably comfortably albeit snugly. I have fitted the seat lowering kit (c.£20) which drops the base by 20mm or so, and ground off the small washers under the front runner mounts for a few crucial extra mm. Small differences but every little helps! I would like to sit lower within the car but I can't justify of the VHS kit.

BigJohn
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: Abingdon VVC

Post by BigJohn » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:13 am

I am also 6' 4" and 19 stone so I'm no lightweight. I have had my MGF for 18 years and in that time I have drive many +300 mile trips in a day. Whilst the inside is snug and clearence for my left leg quite restrictive I always get out of the car without any aches of pains which is more than I can say about modern 'job' saloons that I drive for work. It obviously isn't as comfortable as my Rovef 75 but for a sports car I think it's very comfortable. I too have the seat lowering kit but haven't fitted it yet.