Heroes and villains and why I'm leaving you all...

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

DanieleT
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Heroes and villains and why I'm leaving you all...

Post by DanieleT » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:05 pm

Well people I've not been here very long, having only bought my mg tf at the end of May.
I think this is a wonderful community and I will very sadly miss you all.

After a suspected (definite) head gasket fail I took the car to be repaired at a garage close by in Brighouse.

Anyone who is anywhere near Yorkshire should take note..

Chris Flanagan at Retro Lifestyle in Brighouse is a full on 110% diamond!
Really knows his biscuits and is one of the genuine nicest blokes I have had the pleasure to deal with. Knows the TF inside out as well as the k series engines.

Chris looked at my TF and before even removing the head he gave the car a good once over and proceeded to inform me of its numerous faults, some of which are mammoth..such as an oil cooler not plumbed in and a covered over bleed nipple on the heater matrix as well as suspension issues...that's before even going on to the hg repair.
Needless to say that I am a very unhappy bunny and am currently in the process of negotiating a refund from the trader who sold me the car.

I am also extremely unhappy as I fell in love with the faulty but sporty little beauty and although I will now be seeking another one it may take a while to find a good one.
Not to mention having just spaffed a shed load of money on getting belts changed and new tyres.
I won't name the villainous culprit but I really did want to thank you all for welcoming me into the fold and also to say how amazing Chris is a mechanic and just a genuine great chap.

Thank you all :cry:
Last edited by DanieleT on Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Heroes and villains and why I'm leaving you all...

Post by talkingcars » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:07 pm

Sorry to hear your sad tale, Retro Lifestyle have a good reputation.

I hope you manage to find a decent replacement.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:21 pm

Hope you find a good one this time Danielle.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

DanieleT

Post by DanieleT » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:46 pm

Thanks guys..at least out of all this mess I have found one really awesome garage in retro lifestyle and I may be a little wiser on what to look out for.

Additionally Chris from retro lifestyle has even offered to look any car over that I think may be a good one...seriously you don't find people like this regularly and I can't sing his praises enough.

David Dixon
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by David Dixon » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:26 am

You don't have to leave... I am currently without a F/TF and whilst keeping an eye out for one to buy it is frustratingly (and probably better) not the priority at the moment. Sorry to hear about you troubles, good luck with the search, you can still join in the forum without owning a F/TF.

stuart
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: TF160

Post by stuart » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:18 am

That first F/TF more often than not always seems to be a steep learning curve...keep the faith though and hope you get a great car soon.
Stuart

'02 TF 160 - an Original MG Rover Group Press Car...and still lookin' sharp!

Bilstein Shocks, Z&F Remap, B&G Coolant Alarm, Glass Rear Screen, Braided Hoses, Bling-free at the moment...but that'll probably change

adrianclifford
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:48 pm

Unfortunately as others will endorse, often buying a car shows up a reason for selling it, there's something wrong with it and they want to get rid of it rather than pay out.

Donkey's years ago when I was a lad sawdust would be put in the differential to minimise the noise of worn bearings. Thicker engine oil too to reduce bearing rumble, an egg or two in a leaky radiator, I'm sure there are thousands of other tricks.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Androlyn
MGF Register Region: South Coast

Post by Androlyn » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:22 pm

Plenty for sale at the moment, many perfectly useable for very little money. Sometimes a bit of luck is involved especially with vehicles of the age they now are.
Why not look out for a forum members car for sale, one they have had for awhile and has been active within the MG community :thumbsu:
Or pay a bit more and get one from a known trader and get a 12 month warranty for the major mechanicals etc.
Still one of the best value motors out there, even better value when bought during the winter months.
If you like them, stick with it.
Andrew

DanieleT

Post by DanieleT » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:40 pm

Thanks guys, I am hoping to find another one and will definitely know a little better next time.
I may just stick around to see what member cars come up for offer from time to time too
;)

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:52 pm

Some real gems appear in the classifieds here - do I hope you find a good one soon! :thumbsu:

malcolm64
Model of Car: MGF1.8i

Post by malcolm64 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:09 pm

Danielle I have had "Penny" for nearly 4yrs and in that time I have had 1 HGF but was persuaded by a very good mechanic that she was too good to scrap! So I bit the bullet and had her rebuilt. A little over 15 months later the belt jumped and excuse the French bug@@d my engine yet again. To say I was devastated was no where near. I spoke to our mechanic again and had her rebuilt once more. She now has over 121k on the clock runs sweet as a nut and i would not change her!! PS she is a 97 1.8 mpi. As said before you do not have to leave the forum but good luck in your search for a newer car.

DanieleT

Post by DanieleT » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:45 am

Thanks Malcolm..I do hope I have a ft I can love for many years.
Bit of an update...

The trader who sold the car to me will now be performing repairs on the vehicle.
I very sincerely hpe that they'll be done to a good standard and that I can keep the car.

Suffice to say I will soon be either singing his praises from the rooftops or not.
I may not be leaving after all.

To be continued....

Sergi Bmw
MGF Register Region: Europe

Post by Sergi Bmw » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:08 am

If I'd were you I would ask for some compensation money and let Chris do the work for you, It is the only way that you'll end with the car you want...

DanieleT

Post by DanieleT » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:23 am

thanks Sergi, right now the chap has said that the repairs will be done and I'm legally obliged to allow him to do them.
I do think there's alot of repair to be done, especilly in labour costs and so I wouldnt be able top afford to have them done even if he paid me a right wedge in compensation.
Maybe he can eat the labour costs and make it good.

I just have to hope that it returns with the repairs done well, it yet may do.

I do agree, if Chris was doing the work then I'd know absolutely that it was Mint!
I really can't sing his praises enough.

daz
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mg less :(

Post by daz » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:39 pm

Fingers crossed for you, did you take the report in from Chris?

DanieleT

Post by DanieleT » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:49 pm

Thanks, Chris provided the report for me yes, additionally if I'd not seen Chris I'd still be driving round in a lemon.

DanieleT

Post by DanieleT » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:09 pm

Well I'm still here and still awaiting the repairs to be completed.
The dealer took collection of the car 2 weeks ago and there is still, I think, quite a bit to go.
He has convinced me that the bypassed oil cooler isnt such a bad thing and one is only needed if you're ragging it constantly or on track..so I'm ok with that..especially read that in some cases they can cause a lot of troubles.
Additionally his work sounds extremely thorough and diligent. On replacing the head gasket has also replaced tappets and valve stem seals while the head was off and lapped in the valves as well as replacing the timing belt.

It seems I may be singing his praises far and wide too and hopefully have a car back that I very much love all sorted...

To be continued....

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:15 am

Good news he is doing it but ask him why the manufacturer fitted an oil cooler to this model but not all?
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

DanieleT

Post by DanieleT » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:09 am

I know..perhaps I'm a little too considerate..if push comes to shove I'll pay for a new oil cooler fitting myself. His argument seems pretty strong that it's not essential for a car which you would drive normally in uk temperatures.

stuart
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: TF160

Post by stuart » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:13 am

talkingcars wrote:Good news he is doing it but ask him why the manufacturer fitted an oil cooler to this model but not all?
My thoughts exactly
Stuart

'02 TF 160 - an Original MG Rover Group Press Car...and still lookin' sharp!

Bilstein Shocks, Z&F Remap, B&G Coolant Alarm, Glass Rear Screen, Braided Hoses, Bling-free at the moment...but that'll probably change