Evo Triangle revisited with MGTF

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

David Dixon
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Evo Triangle revisited with MGTF

Post by David Dixon » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:26 pm

Though I have had my MGTF for over a month I hadn't really explored it's handling until today. My TF is one of the last, and has 'comfort handling' so I was keen to see how it would handle on the Evo Triangle, North Wales. I lived until last year quite close to the Evo Triangle and so had tried a number of cars on the roads that straddle the Denbigh Moors, through conifer plantatoins past Llyn Brenig, and a section of the A5. Most recently this summer I had tried out a Mazda MX5 NC (160bhp) so today would be a good comparision
SL381628.JPG
(A scenic shot looking south west, just north of Cerrigydrudion)

The upshot of one clockwise circuit, and one anti clock with photography stops is I have come away mightly impressed with the handling and comfort of my TF. Sure footed and no scuttle rattle or vibrations through the body, not even a 'door bang'. The roads have a variety of bends, cambers, undulations, surfaces, widths, sheltered and exposed conditions. This TF is better than my MGF's, 145vvc, and Trophy 160, better than my previous ZR, and MGB (not too difficult). But also so much better than the MX5 and I am not just saying that, it was !
SL381637.JPG
(LLyn Brenig in the backdrop, the track on the far bank will be part of a stage for this months Wales Rally GB, though forever the 'RAC' to me)

I also wondered if I might be disappointed wit the 135, having previously had 145 vvc & 160 vvc, but none of it. Slighlty different in driving performance. and so quiet with the standard exhaust, I didn't even miss the TT exhaust that I had on the Trophy !! Overall, it was hugely enjoyable drive, which is what it's all about.
SL381647.JPG
(Parked by the Sportsmans Arms, the highest pub in Wales)

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Evo Triangle revisited with MGTF

Post by talkingcars » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:47 pm

I don't know the triangle but there are some great driving roads in North Wales.

Lombard RAC for me, about a month after the Milk Race.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

LeRich
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by LeRich » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:34 pm

Great pics David. Nice car too ;)

Doing the Evo triangle is on my agenda too. I was hoping for that perfect combination of opportunity and good weather to align this summer but as it didn't, I will hold the hope till next year.

David Dixon
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by David Dixon » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:06 pm

And good weather on the Denbigh Moors is never guranteed what ever the Met Office might forecast.
Maybe next summer an informal meet can be fixed up for F/TF's.