Needed: Alloy Intake Manifold

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

RSR92
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: MGF 1.8MPi MY2000

Needed: Alloy Intake Manifold

Post by RSR92 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:53 pm

Hi everyone, so I've had my F in to get the inlet manifold done and it's still leaking so I'm thinking the plastic manifold may have warped :(

I've used a well known auction site to have a look and think I can probably just do with the lower section, it seems to be interchangeable with the top plastic bit branded "injector" on my current manifold as I've seen a Freelander manifold with the top section that I have but with part no LKB107010. I have seen one on the auction site (just the bottom section) for £38 but I don't have the cash right now...I therefore wondered if anyone may have one lying about that I could perhaps purchase in a couple of months or so?

Lower intake manifold section to illustrate the 2 "extra" holes
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGF-1995-1999 ... UxDvMW2cOQ

Freelander manifold with pic of part no and "injector" embossed plastic upper with alloy lower
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Fr ... SwYIxX7M-u

My only question on that front is that there are two "upper" bolts holes in addition the 7 seen on the plastic manifold, I have an X reg MY2000 1.8MPi, MEMS3 MGF, am I looking at the wrong part number, is it compatible with my F? If so what's the correct part number? :oops:

For now my mechanic has ordered one of the metal gaskets and is going to try use some liquid gasket to seal it up where it may be distorted but ultimately a new part is going to be required :roll:
X-Reg MGF 1.8MPi in LQW: Trophy 160 Airbox, Citroen Washer Jets, Japanparts Dampers, 52mm T/B and Alloy Inlet Manifold
Pending: Replace Cat and B/B, Performance Filter element, Cold air feed from N/s vent

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Needed: Allot Throttle Body

Post by talkingcars » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:16 pm

What year is your car?

Are you on MEMS 3?
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

RSR92

Re: Needed: Alloy Intake Manifold

Post by RSR92 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:21 pm

It's mems 3 and MY 2000 :)
X-Reg MGF 1.8MPi in LQW: Trophy 160 Airbox, Citroen Washer Jets, Japanparts Dampers, 52mm T/B and Alloy Inlet Manifold
Pending: Replace Cat and B/B, Performance Filter element, Cold air feed from N/s vent

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:52 am

You will need both parts of the alloy intake, the manifold and the plenum. The plastic one is a single part and none of it would fit to an alloy bottom part. As yours is a MEMS3 car, get one from a TF, then all the relevant parts (IACV, MAP sensor aso asf) will be a straight swap. Oh, and make sure you have both gaskets (manifold to head and plenum to manifold), as you have to put both parts in separately.
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

RSR92

Post by RSR92 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:10 pm

Hi Mykel, thanks very much for the info that's such a pain I really don't have the money to be doing such a thing right now :( looking at £60-80 really, I know it'll be worthwhile but I don't have the spare cash hence hoping someone here may have a spare!

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:43 pm

post 2001 plastic manifolds are as cheap as chips, and were fitted to many MG Rover cars (all engine sizes - they're all the same).

Why do you think your manifold is warped? Unusual - dimensionally, they're generally very stable. Check the diagnonals with an engineer's straight edge and some feeler gauges to check. :)

Where is it leaking from? The problem may be with the cylinder head... (hopefully not!)

RSR92

Post by RSR92 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:58 am

I've got her back now, the warping is a guess from the fact the inlet manifold was leaking...my mechanic replaced the gasket to find it continued to leak, he's managed to seal it off now with some silicone sealant with the gasket to make sure all the gaps are plugged!

I have seen plastic ones but buying a used one there's no guarantee I won't just get the same issue :/ for now it is sorted but do you think getting an alloy one is probably over kill then?

Fortunately it's not the head my mechanic was thorough in checking where the leak was coming from and isolated it to the inlet manifold and a small leak from near the cambelt cover area which he posits may be the water pump so new Cambelt pump and tensioners may he in order soon!

Is there an upgraded part for the water pump that's worth getting or is OE spec more than good enough?

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Post by Plezier » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:32 am

Have a TF135 Alloy manifold fitted to my 75th MGF as the plastic one was well warped. It was not a straightforwards swap but yours being a Mems3 would be easier as mine beign a Mems 1.9 used some different sensors. I bought a complete manifold with injectors, injector wiring loom and throttle body which cost me around £70 all in.