Now home: Stranded

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

RSR92
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: MGF 1.8MPi MY2000

Now home: Stranded

Post by RSR92 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:11 pm

My mgf broke down yesterday, massive coolant loss but no overheating - I think I have a ruptured coolant pipe

I'm currently in longleat/Warminster and need either a tow home to Gloucestershire, Tewkesbury or someone who can possibly help out with a local yard I can get the car to while I fix it or who can help with the fix, all being well the head gasket hasn't suffered and I can just change the pipe, rebleed and get going.

The engine still turns over and idles with no issue etc so does this look hopeful in terms of not being HGF?
Last edited by RSR92 on Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X-Reg MGF 1.8MPi in LQW: Trophy 160 Airbox, Citroen Washer Jets, Japanparts Dampers, 52mm T/B and Alloy Inlet Manifold
Pending: Replace Cat and B/B, Performance Filter element, Cold air feed from N/s vent

Helsbyman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Re: Urgent: Stranded

Post by Helsbyman » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:55 am

Hi,That sounds like bad luck hope all is well now. Was it a split hose?
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:27 pm

My folks live in Warminster - there is parking near them. How are you doing? Could be a hose failure, or even a catastrophic water pump seal failure, but probably hose splitting is more likely...

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:09 pm

I know of a chap who's local to Burnham who recently transported a car for me from Burnham on Sea to Wickwar for £60. Look up Terry Heuze on Facebook and drop him a message.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

RSR92

Post by RSR92 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:27 pm

Hi everyone thanks for the help...we pulled a bit of a fast one and as we were down until Friday (today) we got some AA cover Wednesday night and got a tow home - it has been returned to the mechanic to assess the situation and once I've had a look in the engine bay I'll let you guys know how bad it's looking

Rob and Nigel thanks for the kind offers, thankfully I am home now - water pump and split hose are best case scenarios, I'm praying for a good result regarding any head gasket issues :(
X-Reg MGF 1.8MPi in LQW: Trophy 160 Airbox, Citroen Washer Jets, Japanparts Dampers, 52mm T/B and Alloy Inlet Manifold
Pending: Replace Cat and B/B, Performance Filter element, Cold air feed from N/s vent

RSR92

Post by RSR92 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:56 am

Photos of suspect hose
Attachments
IMG_1024.JPG
IMG_1023.JPG

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Re: Now home: Stranded

Post by Tipper » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:07 am

Did you remove the heat shield around the exhaust manifold or was it already missing?

It's there to protect that hose from excess heat!

RSR92

Post by RSR92 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:09 am

Hi Tipper - in this instance I removed it, however the car was supplied without one so I'd support the thesis that the original damage was done due to a lack of one :( thankfully I noticed within a week or two of having the car but alas the damage has already been done over the years

I'm just waiting on mechanic to swap out the broken hose but I'm dying to have the car back as she was in getting the inlet manifold done last week so once she's back I'm looking forward to a proper drive!

Steffi
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: TF 135 2005 BRG

Post by Steffi » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:39 pm

Make sure to wrap the new hose with some heatresisting tape. I had a simular problem with the same hose and my TF always had a heat shield.
Steffi

MG TF 135 MY 2005, BRG and black leather with seat heating, glas rear window Eibach-springs, 4-pot brake

http://mgf-mgtf-stammtisch-koeln.jimdo.com

RSR92

Post by RSR92 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:20 pm

Thanks for the advice Steffi, I shall do, I may also see how easy it would be to wrap the exhaust manifold in situ to further aid service life of the hose (and to perhaps reduce the engine bay temp a little)

flyingbanana
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Post by flyingbanana » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:00 am

RSR92 wrote:Thanks for the advice Steffi, I shall do, I may also see how easy it would be to wrap the exhaust manifold in situ to further aid service life of the hose (and to perhaps reduce the engine bay temp a little)
Don't wrap the mild steel manifold, the heat leeches the carbon out of the steel and makes it brittle. You should only wrap stainless, and that is now controversial as the heat has to go somewhere and the head is aluminium...

RSR92

Post by RSR92 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:19 am

flyingbanana wrote:
RSR92 wrote:Thanks for the advice Steffi, I shall do, I may also see how easy it would be to wrap the exhaust manifold in situ to further aid service life of the hose (and to perhaps reduce the engine bay temp a little)
Don't wrap the mild steel manifold, the heat leeches the carbon out of the steel and makes it brittle. You should only wrap stainless, and that is now controversial as the heat has to go somewhere and the head is aluminium...
Fantastic advice haha thanks very much, not something I had considered

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Post by Plezier » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:44 pm

Glad to see you are no longer stranded. People seem to forget that these cars are getting on in years now and so are the coolant hoses! Have had two fail on the MGF's now the one from the coolant rail with the return hose tot eh tank on the VVC went on the way home from Burleigh House MG meeting and Blues starting weeping down near Gatwick in january 2015.

RSR92

Post by RSR92 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:22 am

Thank you and yeah, replacement of every coolant carrying passageway is on my list, 16 year old hoses that have heat cycled countless times are none too reliable! They may hold but the question is for how long!

These things are okay so long as you catch them before any major damage is done