McGard locking wheelnuts

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

McGard locking wheelnuts

Post by Charless » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:32 pm

Having read either here or the MGE BBS that these were a good idea I bought a set described as 1/2 24130 SU which were reputedly the only type for MGF. The first time I tried one it seemed to bind slightly after two or three turns so I replaced the original and took them back to Halfords for further confirmation that these are the correct type.
Yes they assured me, the only type for MGFs. So I went ahead and fitted them all round without notable trouble.
When getting a ball joint replaced recently my local independant garage who have looked after several Fs for years were unhappy about the locking wheelnut and refitted the original instead.
Has anybody else experienced issues with McGards? BTW the star is a bog standard '96 MPi.

Steve White
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF160, ZT260

Re: McGard locking wheelnuts

Post by Steve White » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:11 pm

There have been many problems with McGard and thier suppliers selling the wrong nuts for the F & TF.This is because McGards own catalogue states the worng part number.
The correct nuts are McGard part number 82518 (Pn 24157 will also fit, but they dont have the anti-tamper sleeves that 82518 have)
The MGR part number is XPT000175ACC.

if there is any doubt about the condition of the threads on the studs where you have had the locking nuts fitted, I would replace them.

Charless

Post by Charless » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:19 pm

Thanks a lot Steve, the sales assistant wasn't exactly falling over himself with interest, but we agreed that I shall have to phone back on monday for them to call McGards - meantime off they come.

Chris Tideswell
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by Chris Tideswell » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:12 pm

If you can then I would get your money back and buy from Xpart.

Charless

Post by Charless » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:47 pm

Good suggestions Chris - I have already done the first!

petevick
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by petevick » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:46 am

more info here -> http://www.mgf-tf-central.co.uk/tt-runn ... ght=mcgard on McGard lock nuts
Pete Vickerstaff
MG F/TF Central - your one stop shop for MGF/TF tips, tricks, faq's, how to's and links

Charless

Post by Charless » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:33 am

Thanks Pete; at risk of further confusion the part number towards the end of your .org topic link is described more than once as 83518 not 82518. Halfords found no listing of 82518 when I showed them Steve's earlier reply yesterday and thought of exchanging.
I know the .org price is £11 less than I paid but am not in a rush, and will see what local Xpart want for theirs! If that sheds further clarity I will let you know, meantime thanks all.

petevick
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by petevick » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:39 pm

charless wrote:Thanks Pete; at risk of further confusion the part number towards the end of your .org topic link is described more than once as 83518 not 82518. Halfords found no listing of 82518 when I showed them Steve's earlier reply yesterday and thought of exchanging.
I know the .org price is £11 less than I paid but am not in a rush, and will see what local Xpart want for theirs! If that sheds further clarity I will let you know, meantime thanks all.
the .org shop is Xpart ;)
Pete Vickerstaff
MG F/TF Central - your one stop shop for MGF/TF tips, tricks, faq's, how to's and links

MGF Dave
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: 1.8vvc

Post by MGF Dave » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:18 pm

I have an original MGF set available just not listed them in my ebay shop yet if you are interested!
P.S they were removed from a 02 reg F with 23k on the clock they were probably only removed once.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/LancasterMG_W0 ... idZ2QQtZkm
MGF breaker based in lancaster. We throw nothing away even the trim screws and caps.

Helsbyman
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Post by Helsbyman » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:20 am

24157 is another set as i had the same trouble in may and it took 3 months to get my cash back 24157 is the set mike satur fitted as 24212 were not long enough by 1-2 mm
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

Charless

Post by Charless » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:54 am

That is interesting; as after an untypical and laudable display of interest from Halfords, McGard were advising 24212 as the actual correct one for an F of my era fitted with alloy wheels. I haven't seen or heard of the steel versions!
They are still £32.98 which is a third more expensive than xpart list.
In light of the confusion to date, and of not fixing wot ain't broke, I have yet to trouble xpart; but with Christmas coming who knows?

Helsbyman
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Post by Helsbyman » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:19 am

24157 are the right ones for all F, TFs. give mike a bell if you need to know more 01709890555 :thumbsu:
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D