18year old car breakdown cover.

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

arnosvale65
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

18year old car breakdown cover.

Post by arnosvale65 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:35 pm

Does anyone know a company who will give me breakdown cover for a trip to France in my F in June. She is a 98 registered car. I have tried all the usual sources with no luck.

daz
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mg less :(

Re: 18year old car breakdown cover.

Post by daz » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:51 pm

Have you tried ADAC? It's the German version of the RAC & are very good, you need to ask the question about repatriation, most companies won't repatriate the car if the cost outweighs the value of the car.

You can call them & they will call you back, a number of people I know have used them in the past & they've been very good.

MrNatural
Model of Car: MGF Trophy 160 x 2

Post by MrNatural » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:55 pm

We all used ETA (three TF's) for our trip to Germany last year. One required a new alternator on the trip, the recovery to a garage and work completed was excellent. ETA came up trumps!

https://www.eta.co.uk/breakdown/single- ... own-cover/

arnosvale65
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Post by arnosvale65 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:20 pm

Thanks for the replies. I will try both suggestions.

mgbv8mike
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MG TF 160

Post by mgbv8mike » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:36 pm

The RAC cover me, I have 3 cars , my MGB is 40 years old....no problem the breakdown cover is personal to me, not the vehicle I am in.

I paid £ 81.69 after discounts (UK breakdown only, but I can get singletrip Eutropean cover for an additional premium as required)

Green Squirrel
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 1996 1.8i

Post by Green Squirrel » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:15 am

For overseas breakdown cover on our 96 MGF I used Age UK - good price and cover BUT as I did not breakdown I can say how their service would be :P

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:47 am

MrNatural wrote:We all used ETA (three TF's) for our trip to Germany last year. One required a new alternator on the trip, the recovery to a garage and work completed was excellent. ETA came up trumps!

ETA has a 20 year limit I have discovered by 'chatting online' to their rep. No good for my RV8 then! It's 21 years old...

I know Peter Best Classic insurance includes breakdown/recovery cover in its policy but don't know what conditions they apply.

MrNatural
Model of Car: MGF Trophy 160 x 2

Post by MrNatural » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:47 pm

Tipper wrote:
MrNatural wrote:We all used ETA (three TF's) for our trip to Germany last year. One required a new alternator on the trip, the recovery to a garage and work completed was excellent. ETA came up trumps!

ETA has a 20 year limit I have discovered by 'chatting online' to their rep. No good for my RV8 then! It's 21 years old...

I know Peter Best Classic insurance includes breakdown/recovery cover in its policy but don't know what conditions they apply.
Yes, this is so I'm afraid. When I had my MGC's I always got cover via RAC.