Exhaust repair

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

beefio
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC BRG

Exhaust repair

Post by beefio » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:13 pm

A joint on my exhaust is blowing and I need to repair it, basically the fit isn't quite right and there is a small gap.

I've seen this Holts GG2R Gun Gum Paste...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000X2 ... dp_summary

Anyone used it, is it any good?

Or can anyone recommend anything better?

daz
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mg less :(

Re: Exhaust repair

Post by daz » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:34 pm

I always use firegum, but if a joint isn't quite right that's not right. I'm seem to remember being told that you can't use exhaust paste that close to the cat.

beefio

Post by beefio » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:19 am

I brought a used mk2 exhaust with an adapter joint to fit a mk1 and it's that joint that is blowing slightly, I don't really want to start undoing the bolts as they'll probably break, so thought it would be easier just to apply some paste to fill the gap...

I'll have a look at firegum

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:30 pm

daz wrote:I always use firegum, but if a joint isn't quite right that's not right. I'm seem to remember being told that you can't use exhaust paste that close to the cat.
You shouldn't use paste before the cat as if any hardens within the exhaust and then gets blown off it will get shot at the cat matrix like a bullet, after the cat isn't a problem.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

daz
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mg less :(

Post by daz » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:36 pm

talkingcars wrote:
daz wrote:I always use firegum, but if a joint isn't quite right that's not right. I'm seem to remember being told that you can't use exhaust paste that close to the cat.
You shouldn't use paste before the cat as if any hardens within the exhaust and then gets blown off it will get shot at the cat matrix like a bullet, after the cat isn't a problem.
Well that's' that mystery solved :thumbsu:

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:55 am

beefio wrote:I brought a used mk2 exhaust with an adapter joint to fit a mk1 and it's that joint that is blowing slightly, I don't really want to start undoing the bolts as they'll probably break, so thought it would be easier just to apply some paste to fill the gap...

I'll have a look at firegum
Sadly, that's what I'd classify as a bodge, sorry Beefio. Chances are that the flange is warped from manufacture and will need to be machined flat to get a good gas seal.

I'd go back to who ever sold it to you and get a replacement. Or investigate it further - and if a warped flange, take it over to a machine shop and get it milled flat. Shouldn't cost a fortune either to get a proper gas-tight solution... :)

beefio

Post by beefio » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:36 am

I'm sure you're right Rob, but after all the time and effort I spent getting the old exhaust off I haven't really got the energy to worry about it. I like the exhaust so want to keep it and the paste has fixed the problem for the time being and you can't see it so isn't an issue for me at present, I will however put it on my long list of 'things to do'...

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:16 am

:lol: I know what you mean. The paste may silence things for you to get the mojo back to have another look at it! :)