New Proxes ! now wearing a nappy when driving

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Barneyboko
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: 99 VVC

New Proxes ! now wearing a nappy when driving

Post by Barneyboko » Mon May 08, 2017 1:52 pm

I know this has probably been done to death as I have read many of the posts from a couple of years back when Toyo started shipping from Malaysia, but I thought I would ask the MGF community for there thoughts.

My F is a Mk1 99 model with 15" rims running 205 - 50 - 15 on the rear. Last years and this years MOT gave the rear tyres an advisory for tread. I decided to fit T1r xl proxes, got a good deal at Halfords of £60 each. The old rubber had been losing grip and had been slowing me down so I was keen to put the Proxes through there paces. On the way home I have about 6 miles of dual carriageway so I was hoping to get a good feel, not quite. As soon as I was above 50 the back end started to sway about noticeably, reduce the speed and it calmed down. Putting it down to crap on the tyres I then took it back up, round about 50 the rear end again started wandering, I tried to drive through it and at 70 I was literally sh*****g myself, I could swear that both rear wheels were loose, it was that bad. Got it home (slowly) and checked it out, everything was torqued ok, but the pressure was 40PSI, way higher than the 26-28 I would normally have it, convinced I had found the problem I took it out again and it seemed better, I took the speed up above 70 and it was nervy but drive-able. I then came across a change in the road surface and the back end was all over the place again, I was down to 50 before it settled. Been searching for causes, but nothing sticks out in relation to the car.

I have heard that Toyo use a release compound to get the tyre free from the mould and a residue of this left on the tyres can sometimes cause sliding for a few hundred miles and that the tyres will eventually go right. Anyone heard of this or had similar experience.

Barney

Helsbyman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Re: New Proxes ! now wearing a nappy when driving

Post by Helsbyman » Mon May 08, 2017 1:56 pm

IT is a wheel bearing which is to blame
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

Helsbyman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Post by Helsbyman » Mon May 08, 2017 1:59 pm

IT is a wheel bearing which is to blame and if it is that bad the hub will need replacing also I know I had the same thing happen to me thought i was in a cross wind :)
I would change the other 3 wheel bearing as they cost £13 BUT a hub costs £50 so changing the bearing saves money
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

beefio
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC BRG

Post by beefio » Mon May 08, 2017 2:09 pm

I've got T1R's fitted on my F and I've never had any issues.

Wouldn't the same issue have been present before the tyres were changed if it was a wheel bearing?

Or have Halfords managed to damage it while fitting?

MrNatural
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF Trophy 160 x 2

Post by MrNatural » Mon May 08, 2017 3:50 pm

TBH, I wouldn't buy Toyota anymore. Falken or Yokohama's for two of our TFs. Both handle great in wet and dry weather. I still have Goodyears on my TF which are fantastic, shame they stopped making them.

beefio

Post by beefio » Mon May 08, 2017 4:20 pm

My T1R's handle great in wet and dry weather and they cost me £190 fitted...boils down to personal preference, but obviously something is seriously wrong somewhere if yours are behaving like that, I'd get back to Halfords for them to sort!

beefio

Post by beefio » Mon May 08, 2017 4:22 pm

Has Halfords been heavy handed with a sticky wheel/hub...that's what I'd be saying to them...it drove fine before I brought it to you...

If you paid by card then you are also protected if they start playing up but thought their customer service is pretty good.

Barneyboko

Post by Barneyboko » Mon May 08, 2017 4:32 pm

Helsbyman wrote:IT is a wheel bearing which is to blame
The car went through its MOT 2 days before the tyres got fitted, it handled fine before the MOT and it handled just the same after the MOT. I have had to do the wheel bearings in the past so I know what to look for. To put it in to context,the bearings, ball joints, bushes and the shocks on every corner have been done in the last 2 years / 4k miles. The issue is the tyres !

I googled a description of the problem and have now read lots of posts on many other sites of other brands of car and on every forum there are a few with a very similar issue to mine. There are also lots of posts saying "I have used them for years and never had a problem, they are brilliant" !! Unfortunately I only read that kind of post before I bought them.

I will be sticking it out to see if they sort themselves, going to try different pressures to see if that helps and I might visit a supermarket carpark late at night to get the skin of them.

Barney

Mike H
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: 2010 MGTF135

Post by Mike H » Mon May 08, 2017 8:44 pm

You mention an advisory for the rears. Did you renew all four tyres or just the rears? If the latter, what are you running on the front?
Audi TTS owner
Former MGTF 135 owner
Former TF 160 Sprint owner
Former ZS180 owner
Former MGF owner

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Mon May 08, 2017 9:25 pm

Have you had the tracking checked? You need to have it set up by someone with a 4 wheel alignment system.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Barneyboko

Post by Barneyboko » Mon May 08, 2017 9:30 pm

nigelandjo wrote:Have you had the tracking checked? You need to have it set up by someone with a 4 wheel alignment system.
Done that

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Mon May 08, 2017 9:32 pm

Obvious question then. Have they put them on facing the direction of travel? Proxes are directional.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Barneyboko

Post by Barneyboko » Mon May 08, 2017 9:48 pm

Mike H wrote:You mention an advisory for the rears. Did you renew all four tyres or just the rears? If the latter, what are you running on the front?
The fronts are Hankook Ventus Primes that have done about 2k miles, they worked well with the rear Dunlop Sports that preceded the Proxes. I concede that the problem may be a conflict between the Hankooks and the Proxes and I am prepared to make a change if need be, however right now I am not sure if I would be changing the Hankooks or the Proxes.

Barney

Barneyboko

Post by Barneyboko » Mon May 08, 2017 9:50 pm

nigelandjo wrote:Obvious question then. Have they put them on facing the direction of travel? Proxes are directional.

Yes

beefio

Post by beefio » Mon May 08, 2017 10:08 pm

Personally I'd only use the same tyre on all corners, but I wouldn't have thought it would make that much difference, however something is causing it so maybe it's that...

Mike H
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: 2010 MGTF135

Post by Mike H » Tue May 09, 2017 10:05 am

I can only comment that I had a similar issue with my old F about 10/12 years ago, albeit with a mix of the old Bridgestone RE720's and Toyo's. It was fine with Bridgestone all round and it was 'fine' with Toyo all round, but not a mix front to back. Since then with that car and my subsequent TF's I've always had four of a kind only, changing in pairs or sets.

I highlighted the word 'fine' above, as I never did get on with the Toyos, documented at the time. I've since run GSD2's without issue and now Falken 914's without issue, including the occasional track day.

Good luck with your quest to resolve. My personal belief is that you'll end up changing the fronts and all will be good.
Audi TTS owner
Former MGTF 135 owner
Former TF 160 Sprint owner
Former ZS180 owner
Former MGF owner

Steffi
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: TF 135 2005 BRG

Post by Steffi » Thu May 11, 2017 7:16 am

It's definitely the mixture of Toyo and Hankook ☺
Easy to fix
Steffi

MG TF 135 MY 2005, BRG and black leather with seat heating, glas rear window Eibach-springs, 4-pot brake

http://mgf-mgtf-stammtisch-koeln.jimdo.com

Barneyboko

Post by Barneyboko » Fri May 12, 2017 11:54 pm

Steffi wrote:It's definitely the mixture of Toyo and Hankook ☺
Easy to fix
I have little doubt it will probably boil down to that, but wouldn't it be good to establish a categorical reason as to why ?

Barney

xm607
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mgf trophy

Post by xm607 » Sat May 13, 2017 9:24 am

Toyo changed the compound the tyres were made from and the location if I remember correctly, must be three years ago now and the handling problem mentioned above came to light when the rears were changed but not the fronts.
Steve.

mgrv8boy
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF 160 ZR 160 ZTT160

Post by mgrv8boy » Sat May 13, 2017 3:16 pm

same problem last year changed all 4 with new toyo's and wanders all over when in a straight line but ok when cornering have had everything checked, eventually went back to toyo who sent free of charge new tyres all round still the same did this two more times but they have stopped being interested now as it seems this problem only affects F's And Tf's. whilst playing around at my local garage we did find out that you can actually move the tread around on the carcass by hand!! not good as our cars are susceptible to weight transfer when changing direction which is why you need XL tyres with stiff sidewalls. my theory is that they made the tyre more compliant to give a softer ride and F***ed up a good tyre. am waiting for them to wear out now but they don't seem to last good ones only lasted 9000 miles but gripped like s**t to a blanket done 12000 on these and they look like new!!!

f'