Oh no! I've gone and done it again... Project Shed version 2?

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Oh no! I've gone and done it again... Project Shed version 2?

Post by Rob Bell » Mon May 15, 2017 2:52 pm

Moral of the story: don't by a used car from my Nephew! :lol:

In short, I am now the "proud owner" of a 2004 ZR105. It's another Shed. Obviously.

I thought I'd put the brief story of it so far here as a bit of group therapy!

The backstory is that my Nephew bought the car as a stop gap after blowing up the engine on his BMW 1-series. He has bought a 1M or what ever it is called, and the ZR was a cheap car to keep him mobile until the new car arrived. It had a few minor faults - including suspension bushes that would likely mean a fail come the next MoT, but otherwise pretty straight. I "met" the car when it had a misfire - one the coil packs had given up the ghost - but this was easily fixed and the car was a delight to drive. I remember driving these cars new, and the 105 was really an absolute peach of a car to drive, and felt quicker than you might have thought it would - and this one was no exception.

Unfortunately the car hasn't had a great deal of love these last few months. It looks as though it has been front and rear ended (the bonnet no longer closes properly). The Pektron BCU is throwing its toys out of the pram - the horn no longer sounds. But the body - apart some scabbiness around the rear wheel arches - is really not too bad, and sports the complete bodykit of its big-brother 160, along with the 160's multispoke wheels. It's a nice package in graphite grey.

So rather than it head to the scrap yard, I am thinking of seeing whether I can get it back on the road (potentially as a first car for my kids).

I mentioned that my Nephew had bought a new BMW? Well, that is back with BMW for a complete engine rebuild. I should have taken that as a clue.

I went around yesterday to collect it with Philip (he of pscan.eu fame). The ZR will be spending some time on Philip's drive as he works out the Pektron protocols that are currently missing from his diagnostic widget (5AS being fully catered for now). The car was found in the condition essentially described as above, other than three flat tyres (and one oddly over-pressured to 40psi?). The battery was too flat to turn the engine over, but started quickly with a jump. But it sounds like a bucket of bolts... and there is a leak from the exhaust somewhere. :roll:

Having managed to get the bonnet open, it was clear that there was a good deal of tappet noise. So I checked the oil. Or rather I would have done were there any oil to check: the dipstick was dry :roll: Then I clocked the expansion tank. Which was empty.

When I say empty, I mean empty bar a slick of mayo at the bottom of the water tank. The last time I saw this car it was in rude health. But it looks like it has been broken... ugh.

Hey ho. Once Philip has finished with it, I'll bring it back home and take the head off: I suspect top end oil starvation, but I hope the head is salvageable. But I have a very strong suspicion that it will be scrap...

Pictures to follow!

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Re: Oh no! I've gone and done it again... Project Shed version 2?

Post by Rob Bell » Mon May 15, 2017 3:31 pm

image.jpeg
Argh! It's Hellman's Mayo!!!! :-0
image.jpeg
Disaster zone, ground zero
image.jpeg
Recovery
image.jpeg
Made it this far...
image.jpeg
... And managed to reverse onto Philip's drive. The front bumper needs some work and the bonnet doesn't close. All good then. :roll:
Attachments
image.jpeg

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon May 15, 2017 11:00 pm

By the sounds of it picture3 is very fitting.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Green Squirrel
Model of Car: 1996 1.8i

Post by Green Squirrel » Tue May 16, 2017 9:16 am

Oh dear - what does Yimmy think :roll:

willyphixitt
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: 2006(reg) TF135

Post by willyphixitt » Tue May 16, 2017 11:38 am

Rob - you're a glutton for punishment! Do tell me that your nephew has given a large wad of 50's to take it off his hands.

willyphixitt

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Tue May 16, 2017 9:22 pm

Look on the bright side Rob. The engine is easier to get to than on an F :)
Nigel May
Vice Chairman, Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

MrNatural
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF Trophy 160 x 2

Post by MrNatural » Wed May 17, 2017 5:35 pm

Nice one, glutton for punishment, just like me!

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Wed May 17, 2017 8:22 pm

nigelandjo wrote:Look on the bright side Rob. The engine is easier to get to than on an F :)
Don't you believe it!

Engine access appears easy at first glance but try changing the alternator or accessing down to side to the water pump...not as easy as it looks and I prefer alternator access on my old TF!

Like Rob I've just got hold of a cheap 54 reg ZR 160 as a runabout (my wife is always driving about in our Mitsubishi Hybrid car since I sold my TF Steppy) and as a track day thrasher (because I don't want to ruin my RV8 just yet!). This one has MOT and no advisories and the head gasket seems to be upgraded and sound at the moment, but I've already changed all the discs and pads as I didn't think much of the rusty brakes! Not sure about the non-existent SRS dash light either... I suspect the bulb has been removed. Other than that it seems good and certainly goes well.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu May 18, 2017 1:02 pm

Thanks guys - the car doesn't owe me very much at all :)

Well, not yet anyway! If the cylinder head has gone, it'll be very difficult to save based on today's prices. But as you all say, the engine is a doddle to get to!

I'm hoping to be able to work on this with the kids, so that they keep there noses out of computer consoles and actually learn how stuff actually works :)

Ted, err... less said about that the better! :lol: Yimmy isn't too impressed. It can't come to our house, so the only way I can save it is by squirrelling it away in a lock up out of sight! ;)

Good news: more engine rebuild practice! :D

Green Squirrel
Model of Car: 1996 1.8i

Post by Green Squirrel » Fri May 19, 2017 9:44 am

Good luck Rob - and family :lol: