New MGF Headlights.

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

New MGF Headlights.

Post by Geoff.F » Thu May 25, 2017 10:46 am

New Chinese "Reverse Engineered" Taiwanese Headlights are now availabe from X-Part after missed promises since mid last year.
We received a pair from Rimmers. The electrical connection on the RH was difficult to engage however impossible on the LH. The cause was visible mal-alignment of the pins. I could have re-aligned them but at £190 each, it is being returned to Rimmers for replacement with a hope that it helps others to not have the same problem.
Geoff.F

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: New MGF Headlights.

Post by Rob Bell » Fri May 26, 2017 4:50 pm

That's expensive for something that isn't quite right.

Are they made in the same way as the Valeo originals Geoff?

Neil Rushton
MGF Register Region: Lancashire
Model of Car: TF135

Post by Neil Rushton » Fri May 26, 2017 8:43 pm

I hope that they aren't manufactured by the same Chinese firm that made the headlights fitted to our 10 reg TF we had ours replaced reluctantly under warranty due to misting up and the replacements followed suit we now have original MG Rover ones in the car.
Kawasaki KLX250
Skoda Citigo 75hp!!!
A share in an English Electric Lightning F6 fighter!!!!

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Sat May 27, 2017 8:53 am

Neil Rushton wrote:I hope that they aren't manufactured by the same Chinese firm that made the headlights fitted to our 10 reg TF we had ours replaced reluctantly under warranty due to misting up and the replacements followed suit we now have original MG Rover ones in the car.
I also tried one "Chinese" unit and it misted up. I think it may have been unsuitable silicone sealing between the main body and the front cover, acetic acid fumes? I only got one to try as my original ones have lost their u/v coating and have "greyed" out - despite trying all sorts of cutting/polishing they have only got worse.
Hopefully two new ones are on their way to me now.
Last edited by mgtfnut on Sat May 27, 2017 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

MrNatural
Model of Car: MGF Trophy 160 x 2

Post by MrNatural » Sat May 27, 2017 10:31 am

Trophy headlights are now available too, so I will be interested in their quality.

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Sun May 28, 2017 6:44 am

These lights are identical to OEM except that the "Valeo" ident is replaced with "X-Part" and they are marked "Made in Taiwan", not in China. Perhaps Valeo were made at the same place ???
At least it was not a bad service from Rimmers. Complained Wednesday, they arranged collection Thursday and replacement received on Saturday in the same box.
Due to delays in the availability of the new units, I finnaly bought a pair of good secondhand lights which I fitted over the May Holiday only for the new ones to arrive a few days later. The spare used will go into the loft.
Geoff F

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:22 pm

That's good to hear Geoff.

Is the outer cover still made in "glass"? Or now in a transparent plastic? (if they're lighter, I might buy a pair! :lol:)