Insurance companies??

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

c13amb
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Insurance companies??

Post by c13amb » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:47 am

Hi all got my insurance due on my TF at the end of the month.
I am currently with Pete Best and have been for a few years now.Its on there "Classis Car " policy the Abingdon policy if i remember correctly.
The renewal is still reasonable at £160 for the 12 months with a 5k miles limit that i never use :roll:
My question is (ive no doubt its been asked before..so apologies)but is there anyone else out there who can compete with them? A bit of competition never hurt anyone ;)
Cheers on advance :thumbsu:
My cars..MY04 '54 MGTF135 in Yas Marina Blue!!!

MY13'63 AUDI Q7 S-LINE 3Ltr. In ibis white!!!

RSR92
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: MGF 1.8MPi MY2000

Re: Insurance companies??

Post by RSR92 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:24 am

Lancaster? They were at MGs in the park and you get further discount if you're a member of the MGOC
X-Reg MGF 1.8MPi in LQW: Trophy 160 Airbox, Citroen Washer Jets, Japanparts Dampers, 52mm T/B and Alloy Inlet Manifold
Pending: Replace Cat and B/B, Performance Filter element, Cold air feed from N/s vent

c13amb

Post by c13amb » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:28 am

RSR92 wrote:Lancaster? They were at MGs in the park and you get further discount if you're a member of the MGOC
Im with both MGCC & MGOC..is there a number for MG only or a website specific for MG policies?

RSR92
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: MGF 1.8MPi MY2000

Post by RSR92 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:04 pm

c13amb wrote:
RSR92 wrote:Lancaster? They were at MGs in the park and you get further discount if you're a member of the MGOC
Im with both MGCC & MGOC..is there a number for MG only or a website specific for MG policies?
Not that I know of, they offer online quotes but perhaps it would be easier to just give them a quick call to ask about the MGOC discount, I assume they would need your membership number
X-Reg MGF 1.8MPi in LQW: Trophy 160 Airbox, Citroen Washer Jets, Japanparts Dampers, 52mm T/B and Alloy Inlet Manifold
Pending: Replace Cat and B/B, Performance Filter element, Cold air feed from N/s vent

BodgeItAndScarper
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:07 pm

Try Topcashback Compare. You'll probably mostly find the same quotes you already have, but with ~£30 cashback. I used them a couple of months ago to insure mine, ended up with free breakdown cover as well as £35 cashback for the same price as any other comparison site had found.

floozy
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF&80thTF160

Post by floozy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:33 pm

If you're not using your 5k mileage have you thought about reducing to 3k?

c13amb

Post by c13amb » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:22 pm

floozy wrote:If you're not using your 5k mileage have you thought about reducing to 3k?
I did consider this but its nice to have the "cushion"!!

Keith Williams
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Post by Keith Williams » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:26 pm

As well as Peter Best, Adrian Flux is another supporter of the MGF Register. Might be worth a call.
Another useful insurance firm, especially for modified F/TFs is A-Plan.
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

BodgeItAndScarper

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:28 pm

c13amb wrote:
floozy wrote:If you're not using your 5k mileage have you thought about reducing to 3k?
I did consider this but its nice to have the "cushion"!!
You don't really need it. Either call them and tell them if you're going over, or don't bother and it'll only matter if you crash - at which point they may only cover you 3PO, or more likely will ask for the extra premium you 'should' have paid to start with. You will never be driving uninsured just because you're exceeding the <i>estimated</i> annual mileage. YMMV, I am not an insurance advisor, don't rely on my advice, etc etc.

That said, if it's ten quid difference or something it's probably worth the extra not to have to worry about it. But if you're like me and it's a hundred quid difference, worth looking at. Oh, and put in your annual mileage as e.g. 4999 rather than 5000. You'll be in the 4000-4999 bracket that way instead of 5000-5999, which can (stupidly) make a difference with the internet quote engines.

c13amb

Post by c13amb » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:41 pm

Thanks for the tips bodgetandscarper...i have thought about asking about a 3k limit and how much to get the extra 2k should i need it later in the year!
Normal policies may not apply due to the Pete Best policy being the "classic policy" based on the car and not my NCB.Do Lancaster or anybody do a similar thing?

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:15 pm

BodgeItAndScarper wrote:.......or don't bother and it'll only matter if you crash - at which point they may only cover you 3PO, or more likely will ask for the extra premium you 'should' have paid to start with. You will never be driving uninsured just because you're exceeding the estimated annual mileage. YMMV, I am not an insurance advisor, don't rely on my advice, etc etc..
I can't help feeling that is bad advice.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:18 pm

If you can get Insurance at under £200 then you are doing well however your PB Classic probably includes UK and Europe Breakdown Recovery. If so, then stop looking as you will not better it.
Geoff.F

floozy
Model of Car: MGF&80thTF160

Post by floozy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:24 pm

I had my F on a 3k limit policy for a while. When I needed to use the F to go to Scotland unexpectedly I rang them and they increased the mileage to 5k immediately - it cost me about an extra £50 (but this was a few years ago)

David Dixon

Post by David Dixon » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:39 pm

talkingcars wrote:
BodgeItAndScarper wrote:.......or don't bother and it'll only matter if you crash - at which point they may only cover you 3PO, or more likely will ask for the extra premium you 'should' have paid to start with. You will never be driving uninsured just because you're exceeding the estimated annual mileage. YMMV, I am not an insurance advisor, don't rely on my advice, etc etc..

...and an incredibly stupid thing to do.

c13amb

Post by c13amb » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:09 pm

I have to agree about its stupidity but i do concur regards having a 3k limit initially and extending it if its not to costly and neccessary but ive only done in the region of 8.5k in the four years ive had the car so it would be unlikely under its current usage!!

David Dixon

Post by David Dixon » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:44 am

c13amb wrote:I have to agree about its stupidity but i do concur regards having a 3k limit initially and extending it if its not to costly and neccessary but ive only done in the region of 8.5k in the four years ive had the car so it would be unlikely under its current usage!!
Totally agree, I have anual 3k use limit but would increase limit if need to, which i would expect to cost £25 to change.

BodgeItAndScarper

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:25 am

c13amb wrote:Thanks for the tips bodgetandscarper...i have thought about asking about a 3k limit and how much to get the extra 2k should i need it later in the year!
Normal policies may not apply due to the Pete Best policy being the "classic policy" based on the car and not my NCB.Do Lancaster or anybody do a similar thing?
Most classic policies I've had, they either ask for NCB and you earn NCB, or they don't ask for it and you don't accrue any additional NCB. More recently it's tended to be the latter.

BodgeItAndScarper

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:33 am

David Dixon wrote:
talkingcars wrote:

...and an incredibly stupid thing to do.
Why? That's how the law works here. Don't commit insurance fraud, that's stupid, bear in mind the doctrine of uberrima fides. But you don't need to worry much about mileage limits, they're not significant enough that a mild breach would allow the insurer to withdraw cover altogether. You will still have the legally required minimum of cover, which is all that really matters when we're talking about cars worth <£3k.

As I said, don't mess about over a tenner. But if it's £100s in difference, by all means take a slight, slight, slight risk that your initial estimated mileage turns out to be wrong because the absolute _worst_ that happens is that they don't pay out for your own car.

C-J
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: 1998 Abingdon vv

Post by C-J » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:02 pm

Obviously insurance depends a lot on postcode, age, job, garage etc, however if helps I've just renewed with A-plan in Bletchley, MK.

i used to be with PB years ago, but ability to have business use as well as maintain my 2nd NCB means the classic policy is not ideal for me. For others the PB breakdown etc will be important. I have that covered elsewhere (Tesco vouchers/RAC)

Recent quotes...
MGF, 2nd car, SDP incl Business use, protected NCB, (2 full NCB's), 2k mls (of which 1k business).
Renewal quote with A-plan at £150 was £20ish higher than last year with them. I called up and we agreed to do for £135 ish. Matthew, nice chap, very helpful & efficient. Note: In the past I don't think 3k was much more but only done 3k total in last 3 years!

Interestingly Lancaster came up #1 on Confused.com for me at just £132 as per criteria above incl 2k mls (3k mls was a chunk more).

I'm likely to have flicked to Lancaster if A-Plan had not played ball - but happy to stick with A-plan where they are reasonable.

On one hand the poor brokers don't seem to make much commission (£15-£30 per policy?). On the other hand I will have payed circa £1300 over the last decade for a car that sits in the garage 99.99% of the time!

Hope helps
Chris

ps: A-plan do £50 thank-yous for introducing a friend - £25 of M&S vouchers each.
pps: I've just checked my docs and seen the ps above probably wouldn't help you on this occasion as the new policy has to be £150+ (unless they will flex a little for a lower voucher value.

c13amb

Post by c13amb » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:11 pm

Ill be at Silverstone next weekend so will sit down with a PB rep. and ask them direct..they are a show sponsor!