Water in the footwell

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Bowline5
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: TF 1.8 MY2003

Water in the footwell

Post by Bowline5 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:33 pm

I was quite surprised to find the underside of the carpets soaking wet when I lifted them to run a new aerial cable. Is this a common problem with the TF? I'm guessing it's rain getting in as the water was perfectly clear, no road dirt etc, but I cannot see any obvious tracks around the door, window or A pillar. I did find a small puddle under the bonnet, should this have a rubber seal to keep the rain on the outside of the car? Help please.

RSR92
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: MGF 1.8MPi MY2000

Re: Water in the footwell

Post by RSR92 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:46 pm

As you will have the snorkel style cabin air intake I'd guess it isn't that...although I do recall reading that the gasket can fail? I've replaced my F's with the snorkel style and sealed it with silicone so perhaps remove the intake and seal it?

Otherwise the window cheaters as they call them (the bits your wingmirrors are screwed in to) can leak which runs down the speakers onto the carpet, find the window alignment guide that's around and there's a bit in there on aligning the cheaters although you may as well realign the windows as well whilst you have the door cards off anyway
X-Reg MGF 1.8MPi in LQW: Trophy 160 Airbox, Citroen Washer Jets, Japanparts Dampers, 52mm T/B and Alloy Inlet Manifold
Pending: Replace Cat and B/B, Performance Filter element, Cold air feed from N/s vent

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:15 pm

RSR92 wrote:As you will have the snorkel style cabin air intake I'd guess it isn't that...although I do recall reading that the gasket can fail? I've replaced my F's with the snorkel style and sealed it with silicone so perhaps remove the intake and seal it?

Otherwise the window cheaters as they call them (the bits your wingmirrors are screwed in to) can leak which runs down the speakers onto the carpet, find the window alignment guide that's around and there's a bit in there on aligning the cheaters although you may as well realign the windows as well whilst you have the door cards off anyway
Early TFs don't have the newer plastic 'snorkel' but the same tin cowl as the Fs. The plastic 'snorkel' came in about mid-2003 I think.

RSR92
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: MGF 1.8MPi MY2000

Post by RSR92 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:18 pm

That could explain it then! Which is it that you have Bowline?
X-Reg MGF 1.8MPi in LQW: Trophy 160 Airbox, Citroen Washer Jets, Japanparts Dampers, 52mm T/B and Alloy Inlet Manifold
Pending: Replace Cat and B/B, Performance Filter element, Cold air feed from N/s vent

Helsbyman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Post by Helsbyman » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:22 pm

I found when I sound proofed my 04 TF that there were tin grommits in the floor and one was badly rusted but this was 3yrs ago and if I had not found it It would be leaking by now. The other were O K
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

Bowline5
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: TF 1.8 MY2003

Post by Bowline5 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:37 pm

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, when it stops raining I'll have a good look around and see what I can find. The car was first registered March 2003 so the tin cowl is a possibility.

SPG
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: TF 160

Post by SPG » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:16 pm

If you have a car with air conditioning check that the small right angled rubber drain hose has not come adrift. It evacuates the water resulting from condensation thru the front firewall. You will be surprised at how quickly it will saturate the the passenger side footwell.

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:10 pm

SPG wrote:If you have a car with air conditioning check that the small right angled rubber drain hose has not come adrift. It evacuates the water resulting from condensation thru the front firewall. You will be surprised at how quickly it will saturate the the passenger side footwell.
The problem with this drain may not be it coming adrift but there is a lip on the outlet to prevent the ingress of road water. This may become blocked causing the condensate tray to overflow.
How do we know ?? We travelled from UK to Zug, Switzerland for a MGCC CH International Meet. By the Saturday, with temperatures in the high 30s, Mrs F complained of paddling in the passenger footwell. Sunday was "Show Day" so the car was draped in wet carpets. We did get 4th in the "Modern MG category" . Perhaps more in sympathy than deserving .
We would search for leaks by cleaning the area and then spraying it with an Ardrox Crack Detection Chalk Aerosol Spray. Use some blackboard chalk
Geoff.F