Can we make the F/TF classics future secure?

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Red Devil
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: MGTF85th Anniversary

Can we make the F/TF classics future secure?

Post by Red Devil » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

I'm worried about parts and panel availability for the F and eventually the TF. I know there are new TFish cars being made but!

I think that the F/TF is a super little sports car, under rated and under priced! Far too many are being written off for very minor damage.
If we could get the same sort of parts and panel backing the MGB and MINI owners enjoy I'm sure it would secure the future off our little sports cars,after all the F/TF is superior to the MGB (I've owned several B's and C's and I love them so please do not take that as a dig or insult) and are more fun than the Mini.

How much clout do we have? Are there enough F/TF's to warrant a company making these parts? Would the insurance company's play ball. I don't know BUT shoal we not be asking the question? Who do we need to approach? MG? Car part manufacturers? How about a joint campaign with the owners club?

We need to do something and quick before it's to late(look what as happened to the once most popular car in Britain, the ADO 16).

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Re: Can we make the F/TF classics future secure?

Post by Keith Williams » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:47 pm

Red Devil wrote:I think that the F/TF is a super little sports car, under rated and under priced! Far too many are being written off for very minor damage.
Think you have answered yourself why early and even later MGF's (possibly even TF's) are being written off and I don't necessarily think it is to do with lack of parts. The value of the cars is sadly so low - the 40% (?) cut off limit for repair that insurance companies use to repair or not repair is easily reached with even a minor shunt.

Cost of new panels and then painting adds up. My 98 F according to Parkers is in the region of £1700. Well low on what I originally paid for the car but it is still priceless to me :thumbsu: But you don't get much repair work done for 40% of £1700. Had a minor shunt in the rear when car was around 4 years old. Total cost was close to £1800 even back then. Accountants rule the world so similar shunt now would write off the car if I did it through the insurance.
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

Red Devil
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: MGTF85th Anniversary

Post by Red Devil » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:09 pm

It,s a shame, but I fear you are right. There is a guy on .org who had a minor bump in his TF, insurance wrote it off but he has bought it back. :thumbsu:

Kasper
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Post by Kasper » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:57 pm

The only reason for someone to produce car parts is the possibility to sell. therefore there must be enough cars on the road. I would not be to afraid for the MGF and TF.

Realise the MGF being build in almost equal numbers compared to the MGA. It should be likely there is a sound reason to produce parts. (lots of MGA's exchanged road life for the MG heaven too)

only down part will be that likewise the MGB there will be a decline in options, e.g. I would expect the Mk1 interior to fade away in favour of the Mk2 components ect.

In The Netherlands we have a 50% rest value limit to prevent from a write off. After the European Event we had some dogs playing on top of my car resulting in over 1500 pounds of damage (only scratches and close to the limit for a 12 year old car) So I changing my insurance to a sort of a classic car insurance. Saves me of the worries of a write off, at a very reasonable rate...
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be

XYZ
MGF Register Region: Europe

Post by XYZ » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:55 pm

;)
Last edited by XYZ on Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:28 pm

Early TF's are already changing hands for the low end of £2000, so 40% of that is £800-£1000, you won't get much work done for that at £60 per hour + parts at full cost price.

I doubt we could get enough interest to have body parts made, I somehow (maybe wrongly) think that the Car Club will not want to pursue this either, maybe our directors may try to pursue this on our behalf ?

If there is any hope I fear it may lay with the spending power of the MGOC, which will help us of course as they will be happy enough to sell to us I'm sure.

You may also like to add hydragas units to your wish list.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Scarlet Fever
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: 1996 MPi F

Post by Scarlet Fever » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:25 pm

Agreed, MGCC won't get involved for a number of reasons, mainly cost & infrastructure (lack of) related. It's too loos an organisation to be able to pull off the remanufacture of lots of parts for our cars.

MGOC on the other hand has a vested interest in doing so, they should be looking at this now (not sure if they are), but the MGB survives in such numbers in large part to the efforts of the MGOC ensuring parts are available - the F/TF is the future of the club as the older cars gradually diminish in numbers - they would be very foolish indeed to ignore the issue.

They have the motivation, infrastructure and business to make it worth their while - they just need to get a move on before the market disappears...
Andrew Phillips