Got my eye on an F & a TF

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Re: Got my eye on an F & a TF

Post by nigelandjo » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:06 am

I'd take it for a second opinion. How far are you away from Austin Garages outside Burton on Trent? I've seen lots of positive reviews for their services.
Nigel May
Vice Chairman, Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

JustExtreme
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by JustExtreme » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:06 am

I'm based near Telford so Burton is not that far but far enough to be potentially a bit of a bugger to organise with work - will keep them in mind.

One of the front sub-frame mounts is very rotten looking whereas the other was replaced very recently so I'm thinking in addition to the engine stuff that should probably be a priority along with the front nearside wishbone IIRC

The oil leak I think was by the sump/under the gearbox

Will update or post a new thread when I've got the report and pics through from MGF Centre. They did take me through and show me the problems that they'd found from underneath while it was on the ramp.

I'm not set on getting rid of it just yet - if I'm going to lose a lot of money by selling it then I may as well do a few things to it and enjoy it for a few months at the very least. I should probably point out that I'm autistic so I can get very caught up in my own thought loops etc. so I'd appreciate if anyone on here could give me a bit of nudge if I seem to be doing things that make no logical or financial sense.

daz
Model of Car: mg less :(

Post by daz » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:57 pm

Oil leak at the sump is not a big deal really.

The discs being worn is just a consumable, I've changed my discs recently just so i don't have to do it in the future. I've also replaced all ball joints, bushes & track rod ends just for peace of mind.

The subframe probably just needs to be cleaned up & painted.

The front subframe mount & wishbone could be changed at the same time lowering the cost. I've seen plenty of rusty wishbones while looking at cars, unfortunately it's quite common.

If the coolant is leaking above the hg it may just be the inlet manifold gasket.

Just because the hg has been changed it doesn't mean the oil rail has to be done, my own engine has been rebuilt but the oil rail wasn't upgraded.

JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:20 am

That's good news about the sump oil leak probably not being a major issue.

The rear sub-frame if it isn't just a case of cleaning and painting it, what kind of cost would I be looking at for a reconditioned one?

I think the rear offside shock was showing a bit more play that it's meant to as well. Will get back on here to confirm once I get the report emailed through later.

I think the rusty wishbone is on the nearside and the rusty subframe mount offside but still would probably get them both done at the same time. The subframe mount was literally crumbling in places.

Re: inlet manifold gasket, how much would that normally cost to sort?

If the oil rail hasn't been changed (no indicator on HG receipt for it) is that a major thing or might it be alright?

I'm not familiar with working on cars but I did buy a workshop manual when I bought the car in case I fancied a new hobby... I get the picture theres quite a few DIY'ers in the F/TF community?

JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:02 pm

FYI I've just got the report through from the health check and made a new thread rather than keep stretching this one out viewtopic.php?t=23812