Got my eye on an F & a TF

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

beefio
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC BRG

Re: Got my eye on an F & a TF

Post by beefio » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:52 pm

It sailed through it's last 3 MOT's without any advisories!

Is that a record?

BodgeItAndScarper
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:27 pm

beefio wrote:It sailed through it's last 3 MOT's without any advisories!

Is that a record?
No. I bought mine partly because it's only had about two since they started recording them on the database.

beefio

Post by beefio » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:19 pm

So your MG has gone through more than its last three MOT's with no failures or advisories?

Lucky you!

beefio

Post by beefio » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:21 pm

In many ways I'd rather buy a car that's had loads of failures and advisories that have all been fixing as it's less work for me to do at some point in the future...

JustExtreme
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by JustExtreme » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:58 am

Decided against the mk1 solar red F in the end. Now thinking about putting a bid on this 2005 tf160 although I imagine given it's year and spec (power roof and ac) it's going to go pretty high http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292199552712

MOT history looks OK to me and it sounds like the current owner has done quite a bit of work on it himself. Any thoughts?

beefio

Post by beefio » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:28 am

Good decision I think.

The 160 looks nice, are you able to go and see it? Try and take someone on here with you!

I'd ask for full details of the service history.

Also ask if the cam belts been changed recently as they need to be done at least every 5 years and would cost at least £250...

beefio

Post by beefio » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:36 am

Think I read that the power hoods can be problematic, but I wouldn't worry too much as I'm sure you could just swap it with a used manual frame cheaply if needed...

Lots of work done which is a good sign of someone caring and looking after it!

JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:21 pm

beefio wrote:Good decision I think.

The 160 looks nice, are you able to go and see it? Try and take someone on here with you!

I'd ask for full details of the service history.

Also ask if the cam belts been changed recently as they need to be done at least every 5 years and would cost at least £250...
Unfortunately not as it finishes today and I'm based about 80 miles from it. Not sure whether I can bid on something I've not been to look at and it seems a good idea to take someone along who knows these vehicles. Perhaps worth waiting for another to come up...

Cam belt he isn't sure but head gasket was done in 2015 before he bought it and cambelts often get changed at the same time as doing that as far as I'm aware from my experience with k series 75's

3 service stamps missing when current owner bought it in 2015 from the owner from new. Says he's carried out 2 services himself with the most recent being oil/filter, air/fuel filter, spark plugs/ht leads.

Also since owning car he's renewed front/rear discs & pads, front wheel bearings, front top/bottom ball joints plus track rod ends, front/rear anti roll bar drop links and recently had alloys refurbished as mentioned in the ad.

JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:10 am

The auction ended at £1850 which seemed a bit over my budget considering I wasn't fussed about the power hood or the ac. Reserve was around £1800 I think

It seems to have resurfaced this morning as a buy it now at £1600 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292206378625 the auction must have fell through. Might see if I can arrange to have a look next weekend if it's still around...

Anybody close-by to Doncaster?

It now says hard top available for extra I think it was listed as included before. It's one of those things that could be nice to have for the winter months but I'd likely use a car cover when it's parked in the drive.

beefio

Post by beefio » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:38 am

It now says relisted due to time waster, I wander why they didn't buy it, a problem?

I would start a new thread asking if anyone can view a TF in Doncaster with you...

I'd use the hardtop as a bargaining point, try and get it included...

JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:03 am

Apparently bidder claimed afterwards that they had never bidded and never wanted a TF in the first place... normally I'd assume potential shill bidding but the seller seems pretty genuine and there isn't much point in bidding up your own auction if you have the reserve set at what you want for it.

Good idea re: using the hard top as a bargaining point

I'll post a thread asking re: viewing it in Doncaster in a bit

BodgeItAndScarper
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:13 pm

JustExtreme wrote:Not sure whether I can bid on something I've not been to look at
Yes, you can. Ebay vehicle auctions are not binding on buyer or seller. It's fine to bid first, go to have a look, and buy the car if it's all good. You can also try and mess around with the price at that point, there's nothing fixed there, but I think that's taking the pee-pee unless you've discovered something wrong with the car that wasn't in the auction - many sellers will tell you to sod off rather than negotiating.

JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:25 pm

Good point: re the buying through ebay not being final, will keep it in mind for the next one

It seems to have sold now I mean I didn't really need AC and electric roof anyway (not that they wouldn't be nice to have...) so will keep an eye out for other (ideally cheaper) options.

JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:27 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-TF-1-8-coo ... SwVGhZhL0Q may think about going to have a look at this seems interesting with the performance remap although there's a weird note saying the engine "runs hot" on the last MOT so maybe not...

I did ask the seller about it and he said it stayed at the middle temp all the time and that he'd checked with a few garages and they didn't find any issue and suggested a coolant flush saying it's unlikely that the HG had begun to go again because its the triple layer one. That's assuming it was skimmed properly though... He did say that I was welcome to come and "crawl all over the car" though and bring AA/RAC or whoever to inspect it.

daz
Model of Car: mg less :(

Post by daz » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:35 pm

JustExtreme wrote:Good point: re the buying through ebay not being final, will keep it in mind for the next one
I thought it was final unless there was something significantly wrong/different that wasn't listed.

150bhp from a remap is stretching it a bit, by about 12bhp :D

how about this?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/mg/2003-18-co ... 1259209128

JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:01 pm

daz wrote:
JustExtreme wrote:Good point: re the buying through ebay not being final, will keep it in mind for the next one
I thought it was final unless there was something significantly wrong/different that wasn't listed.

150bhp from a remap is stretching it a bit, by about 12bhp :D

how about this?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/mg/2003-18-co ... 1259209128
I think ebay would rather you did complete but afaik it's not legally binding with cars or something here you go http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/non ... g-bid.html "All bids made in the Real Estate and eBay Motors vehicles categories are considered non-binding. "

According to this it seems it's possible to hit 140ish with remap and 4 to 1 manifold, induction kit, etc. http://mgfregister.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14626 who knows though with this one

That one looks nice on gumtree, kinda torn whether to go for a 135 or 160 - would be nice to have the option of revving to hell and back even if it isn't my usual relatively sedate style of driving :)

beefio

Post by beefio » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:29 pm

The TF on eBay...what's with the horrible seat covers, are the seats worn? I'd want to paint the rear bumper so factor in that cost. Is the front bumper not sitting right due to further damage?

I'd get a 160 if you can, you'll enjoy it more and will only end up spending money try to op the power of a 135...

beefio

Post by beefio » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:29 pm

Have you driven any yet?

daz
Model of Car: mg less :(

Post by daz » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:36 pm

in my opinion after having the 160 & 135 versions there isn't a lot in it, not enough for me to pay the extra for the 160 anyway.

I've got a remap on mine, 4 to 1 manifold, SP performance exhaust, k&n Apollo induction kit & i'd be surprised if mine is close to 140.

JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:32 pm

Here's one I just found on autotrader.co.uk http://autotrader.co.uk/classified/adve ... 8048043625

Agreed those seat covers on that Dudley eBay one are ghastly.

I still didn't drive one yet I need to go and view one so I can.