Got my eye on an F & a TF

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

JustExtreme
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Got my eye on an F & a TF

Post by JustExtreme » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:03 pm

Came across both of these on eBay the TF160 is less than 5 miles from me the F about 15.

I posted about the F in classifieds but was told I'd get more responses and help here so here I am.

MGF VVC 2001 in Market Drayton, Shropshire ends early next week http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302388500764

MG TF 160 2002 in Newport, Shropshire ends saturday http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253058489715

https://www.mgfregister.org/forum/viewt ... =9&t=23611 this is the original thread I posted about the F in classifieds

The 160 has mention of a minor oil leak in last mot and I messaged the seller about it who had a look under and said it's wet not dripping reckons it's the sump gasket which I think is a fairly cheap fix?

Also the vvc rattling is that a cause for concern or common like he says in the ad? Said he's had a few and that they all rattle a bit when cold when I asked about it.

Any help in researching these cars or suggestions of alternatives would be greatly appreciated so thanks in advance. May go take a look at the TF tomorrow

BodgeItAndScarper
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Re: Got my eye on an F & a TF

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:57 pm

Have you checked the cost of insurance for each? Fs are on classic cover now, TFs aren't AFAIK. That ruled out a TF when I was buying, as did the coil-spring suspension they lumbered it with.

I'm maybe being a bit picky, but the MOT history for both of those shows evidence of possible/likely neglect at some point in their history. At least the F looks like things might have been sorted out since. The TF only has MOT til October, and my guess would be that it's going to fail heavily having got a, shall we say, lenient MOT tester last time round.

MrNatural
Model of Car: MGF Trophy 160 x 2

Post by MrNatural » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:16 pm

Concerning insurance, my TF is on a classic car policy via Peter Best.

Kevin

Gedge
MGF Register Region: South Coast

Post by Gedge » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:41 pm

My TF is also on a classic policy with Lancaster...Carole Nash would only offer under a MGOC modern MG policy that was 3 x the price I paid ...

JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:35 pm

I've been quoted 280ish a year for all uses for both tf and f vvc models similar for the non vvc on non classic insurance

BodgeItAndScarper

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:41 pm

Interesting to see the kind of quotes others get. AFAIK the way the insurance quotes work is that you get a score made up of a bunch of points from different questions, and if you have the right score they offer you the classic cover. I guess I'm borderline enough that the age of the model makes a big difference.

beefio
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC BRG

Post by beefio » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:16 am

I think the F looks pretty good and has had some essential work done which you'd probably have to do on another one. It really depends on the price I suppose and whether you can go and see it before the end of the auction on Sunday evening.

Personally I probably wouldn't buy it due to the lack of service history, you don't know if it's been looked after so you're taking a bit of a chance. But then another one with FSH could end up having problems and costing you money, there are no gaurantees.

I would say spend as much as you can afford on the best example you can find, as if you buy a cheap one it'll probably only end up costing you in the long term, so it can be a false economy. However there will be bargains out there is you know what to look for and take your time.

I did the opposite and spent £840 on my F as it was the perfect colour combo I was looking, then I spent about £2,000 fixing everything, where as I could have got an amazing F for £3,000 if I'd been patient!

However I don't rally regent it as they are great cars and £3k isn't really a lot for a car that you get lots of pleasure from...

What is your budget?

Also could do work on it yourself are would you have to use a machanic, as I found that makes a huge difference to the cost by doing things myself where possible?

daz
Model of Car: mg less :(

Post by daz » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:00 am

I pay £130 ish on a classic policy for my 02 TF

beefio

Post by beefio » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:25 am

How many miles are expecting to do?

If it's less than 5k then insurance is the least of your worries as it should only be a lot, you just need to get yourself a decent car first!

BodgeItAndScarper

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:57 am

beefio wrote: It really depends on ... whether you can go and see it before the end of the auction on Sunday evening.
Worth pointing out that Ebay motors auctions aren't binding on either party. Feel free to bid (in good faith) and then reject the car if it's no good when you go to see it.

beefio

Post by beefio » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:09 pm

That's what I did, just bid, won it, went and looked was ok so brought it. If it wasn't as described then I'd of walked away...

bigmac
MGF Register Region: South Coast

Post by bigmac » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:00 pm

classic car insurance companies usually require you have another car as your main user.

JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:38 pm

beefio wrote:That's what I did, just bid, won it, went and looked was ok so brought it. If it wasn't as described then I'd of walked away...
Tempted to do that with this TF160 up the road that ends in under an hour although not sure I could cope with the awkwardness of walking away if I was on my own so probably best not. I reckon the guy above is right it's probably had a 'lenient' MOT last year and will need a bunch spent to pass in October. It's only at 750 at the moment but those repair bills can add up...

beefio

Post by beefio » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:12 pm

Here you go...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142460115762

Trophy blue isn't my thing but if you've got around £4K to spend then this looks like a great Trophy!

JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:50 am

Re: budget I'd say is <£1200 ideally maybe a bit more for something special. I really should test drive one of each to see whether I prefer the F or the TF... does the hydragas cost much to get serviced and maintained?

Stock suspension on the TF sounds a bit stiff / hard like my suzuki swift which I enjoy but I'm guessing being closer to the ground maybe the F is a bit better for comfort? Didn't bother with bidding on the TF in Newport in the end but still keeping an eye on the F

Bigfootmgf
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8

Post by Bigfootmgf » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:10 am

On most f's now they will be suffering with hard suspension because of loss of gas. There are a few options one of them being re-gassing the spheres! This costs just under £500!
Paul

Mod's cost money that you don't have or you could have if you did not have mods!

Bigfootmgf youtube Channel
SE MGF Facebook page

JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:34 pm

Just came across this https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 2497485510 think it's an R reg (no clear pic of the plates) and it's been fully resprayed amongst other things

daz
Model of Car: mg less :(

Post by daz » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:05 am

JustExtreme wrote:Just came across this https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 2497485510 think it's an R reg (no clear pic of the plates) and it's been fully resprayed amongst other things

over 100k miles & no MOT, seems a bit steep. reg number is R185acc

JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:31 pm

Good points. I didn't realise the lack of MOT at first glance.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGF-VVC-/272787791267 how does this look? Buy it now price seems a bit optimistic but then again I don't know these very well...

beefio

Post by beefio » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:48 pm

I don't it would ever fetch £2,500 in a million years! I think it's probably worth about £600 but then they have a reserve price on it.

I don't think it is really very low miles at 70K...

I think overall it doesn't present well, maybe a good clean and polish would do it justice, but the interior looks tired an it doesn't look like a cared for car to me.

What is the service history?

Looks like a performance exhaust may be fitted?

Good points:-

brand new hood
nearly new TOYO tyres
recent discs and pads all round
polybushed
head gasket and cambelt with waterpump @ 65000
genuine factory roll bar and tonneau cover
VVC reg plate
Hardtop

Personally I'm not as keen on the mk1 or solar red, but that's personal choice...I wouldn't have looked twice at it as there are lots of better F's out there in my opinion...but if you like the mk1 and solar red then it has lots of good points, if you can get it at the right price...