Got my eye on an F & a TF

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

beefio
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC BRG

Re: Got my eye on an F & a TF

Post by beefio » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:28 pm

David Dixon wrote:the more MG's you look at the greater you knowledge to buy a good car
Agreed. Don't rush it there are lots out there and you'll get a good one if you're patient.

If you got a good feeling about this one then decide how much it's worth to you and bid...

JustExtreme
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by JustExtreme » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:37 pm

Nothing untoward in the MOT history when I checked it on the gov site. http://www.pauldeppermgs.com/2004-mg-tf-in-silver.html Yeah it's this one still listed on website he showed me the printout and receipt from when it was bought from Paul Depper by the owner prior to him along with 12 month head gasket rtb warranty. The current owner said he contacted Paul Depper to try to get more details on service history but they had nothing.

He said he'd be open to offers outside of eBay and would prefer them because of fees and such but I'm really not sure whether to offer or not because of the service history thing and needing to replace tyres etc and being tempted to try out a 160. I have read that buyers guide and have it bookmarked so will make sure I keep referring to it.

David Dixon
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by David Dixon » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:47 pm

If you are not sure, leave it. I would also be wondering why the seller has recently bought it, and is now trying to sell it.

beefio

Post by beefio » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:56 pm

David Dixon wrote:If you are not sure, leave it. I would also be wondering why the seller has recently bought it, and is now trying to sell it.
My thoughts exactly!

Definitely go and try a 160 first...

JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:19 pm

The grinding noise that the drivers side lock makes when unlocked remotely is a bit worrying and while he's open about it in the listing I'm not sure how much it would cost to put right. Any idea?

I think I'm probably gonna give this one a miss and try a 160 ASAP then try find a decent one in price and condition and service history. Will decide whether to put an offer in or not later this afternoon.

By chance I happen to be going to North Norfolk (grew up there so my family live around) and Norwich this Friday for a week and this 52 plate 160 just popped up https://www.gumtree.com/p/mg/2002-mg-tf ... 1262700030

I've sent an e-mail asking re: service history, what tyres the new tyres are, if HG has been done, when timing belt was last changed, etc. all being well I may go and have a look. Second thoughts on looking at the MOT history this one should probably not be touched - lots of advisories on last MOT including sub frame corrosion and leaking coolant pipes etc.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:40 pm

JustExtreme wrote:By chance I happen to be going to North Norfolk (grew up there so my family live around) and Norwich this Friday for a week and this 52 plate 160 just popped up https://www.gumtree.com/p/mg/2002-mg-tf ... -hard-top/
Looks like a bargain at £1300.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

hammond
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: VVC Freestyle

Post by hammond » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:47 pm

Ad says £1800 now unless yours was a typo 8-)

JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:48 pm

Yeah good price just shame about all the potential issues shown in the latest MOT

If you read the listing he says he'll let it go for £500 less without the private plate (which I'd have no interest in)

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:04 pm

hammond wrote:Ad says £1800 now unless yours was a typo 8-)
As above - £1800 less £500 for the personal plate!
Not a typo but a reado on your behalf!
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

beefio

Post by beefio » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:25 pm

Ask them if any of the advisories have been done...

David Dixon

Post by David Dixon » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:43 pm

That colour is Lagoon, (IAN) which is a monogram colour and being a 160 could well be very rare. http://www.mg-cars.org.uk/news/news683.html I'll see if I can find out.
One word of warning monogram paint colours can very expensive, even for a rattle can or touch up.

I recall this particular car A10 FNR being for sale at Kerridges in Suffolk. I can't recall the price it wasn't cheap, but Kerridges don't do cheap asking prices.

Also It would be really surprise me if this isn't snapped up quickly, itis a really is a sought after colour and spec'.

David Dixon

Post by David Dixon » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:32 pm

Thanks to Adrian Clifford for info. 17 MGTF in lagoon produced of which 4 were 160's, and these four had different interior colour/seat combinations. So this TF is unique...cheap and unique.

beefio

Post by beefio » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:35 pm

There you go...buy...restore...keep!

JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:39 pm

So even considering the issues outlined in the last mot advisories its good value? I can't do any of my own work or anything like that so restoring wouldn't really be an option for me unless I started a new hobby.

I just got contacted by the guy selling the 135 in Shrewsbury I went to see (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222618143857) as I let him know earlier it wasn't really what I was looking for not enough service history plus the tyres and central locking solenoid issue and driver side window rattled a bit when fully down. Said he'd let it go for 1100 which sort of seems fair but still not sure so will probably give it a miss

JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:16 am

It (unsurprisingly) got snapped up pretty sharpish by the first person to view it.

Let me know if you come across any decent looking 135's or 160's

JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:06 pm

Just came across this https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-mot ... 1259788827 part service history and says all the advisories have been taken care of might go take a look and maybe see if one of you people can join me for a jaunt over to see this in Coventry... Best to start a new thread asking about that?

RSR92
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: MGF 1.8MPi MY2000

Post by RSR92 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:23 pm

JustExtreme wrote:Just came across this https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-mot ... 1259788827 part service history and says all the advisories have been taken care of might go take a look and maybe see if one of you people can join me for a jaunt over to see this in Coventry... Best to start a new thread asking about that?
I think Daz offered earlier in this thread, how far from Bham is Coventry? He may come view with you if you drop him a pm - id offer but it's at least a hour and a bit from me plus I'm not quite an expert yet!
X-Reg MGF 1.8MPi in LQW: Trophy 160 Airbox, Citroen Washer Jets, Japanparts Dampers, 52mm T/B and Alloy Inlet Manifold
Pending: Replace Cat and B/B, Performance Filter element, Cold air feed from N/s vent

JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:00 pm

It's not too far. Daz isn't available at the moment. Seller said he's away himself from Friday until middle of next week so may see if he is around tomorrow early evening.

Anything seem off about it on the surface to any of you TF-familiar folk? MOT history seems fine so long as he can prove the advisories have been taken care of and will see just how much "part service history" is.

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:26 pm

Don't know why it's a Limited Edition... 17inch wheels are not standard, so may make for a harsh ride if running very low profile tyres.
Nigel May
Vice Chairman, Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

David Dixon

Post by David Dixon » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:04 pm

Seller claims it is a limited edition, I would want clarification on which model it is, though I suspect if any a Sprint. It is running 17 in wheels as opposed to standard 16 In (and noted on MOT history that tyre rubbing wheel arch, as far back as 2012). Personally I don't like cars running oversize wheels,in terms of handling the car doesn't need it, and might be detrimental to handling. Probably done for appearances. I would want to inspect the corrosion on the subframe to establish how corroded it actually is/or how well repaired. The braking system has some repeat MOT advisories, which raises questions for me. Likewise poor condition of tyres are mentioned more than once. I would question how well this car has been maintained over the years maybe not by current owner depending on how long they have had it. I also wonder why the the repair to the offside lower suspension arm is mentioned with the additional comments of 'repaired not innapropriatley' (odd comment ?). Looking at the pictures in particular of the header tank, the yellow label appears to have pinkish residue on it. For me that raises the question has the coolant spilled/boiled over onto that label, and what was the cause? Maybe innocent cause, might not be.The pictures are not especially clear but it appears not to have the TF badge on the rear (and possibly a badge for whatever 'limited edition' it is). Why? Has it had some bodywork rectification to the rear, and why, what was the cause. Check both number plates to see it they match, especially the number plate makers name and postcode. If they don't and especially if the rear plate appears newer consider if it has had rear damage? Look for over spray of silver on black trim from a repaint. It also has roll hoops fitted, do you like these? As said previously the more cars you look at, the greater knowledge you'll have. Hope this helps, it kinda skims the surface of viewing of a car, but points to bear in mind.