Pre production MGF for sale on ebay

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

David Dixon
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Pre production MGF for sale on ebay

Post by David Dixon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:55 pm

N817 SVC vin number 000083, sadly it has been updated a bit. It was orginally volcano. MOT history doesn't cause concern. Sale nothing to do with me
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGF-/27279481 ... Sw9fNZiIib

Phil Jay
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF 135

Re: Pre production MGF for sale on ebay

Post by Phil Jay » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:31 pm

Hi David,
Not doubting your information for one minute, but do you know for sure that this car was originally Volcano?
I only ask as family members who worked on MGF launch at Longbridge have no recollection of any of the early cars being finished in Volcano, as it was introduced later after launch.
MAny thanks
Phil

David Dixon

Post by David Dixon » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:42 pm

Hi Phil. I contacted Adrian Clifford and his data indicates that N817 SVC was Volcano, also i checked the MOT history and it is recorded as orange on that. However facebook posters are quite rightly questioning why the car has so many later model fittings. Also with all the under panal areas that are visible in red, it does raise some questions as to the car's history.
A re-body is just one suggestion, transfered number plate another. I guess it needs viewing,or at least by a reliable source.

Phil Jay

Post by Phil Jay » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:57 pm

Hi David, it appears to be a genuine Rover Group pre-launch car. The V5 states the colour as being orange and this is confirmed by the paint code on the cars VIN plate - definitely Volcano! The other interesting thing is it appears to be a VVC. Apart from having a VVC engine, the trim code on the VIN plate is the part leather one. So, a very interesting car and potentially very desirable - apart from the fact that it's been resprayed red inside and out, plus the none standard seats, interior and wheels. It really needs to be returned to its original colour and trim spec IMHO and to do that is going to cost a fortune! I had a long chat with the seller last night, who seems incredibly honest and trustworthy. If anyone is interested in it, the seller is asking for best offers to be emailed to him by 10.00pm tonight. It seems he's already had several offers of around £1,000.00 for the car!

David Dixon

Post by David Dixon » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:04 pm

Superb Phil, nice one on talking to the owner and establishing it is a pre production MGF. Hope it goes to a buyer that will restore and cherish it, and bring it along to MG meets.

David Dixon

Post by David Dixon » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:18 am

Listing ended, car sold.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:26 pm

What happened to it? Hopefully it has found a home with an enthusiast :)

I agree with you all in that for it to have the greatest value, it should be returned to its original specification. But that's another inside and out respray... not to mention everything else that'll need returning back to standard... gulp!

Phil Jay

Post by Phil Jay » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:15 pm

Hi Rob and David,
I spoke too the seller at length about this car. He is a really nice guy and had no idea what the car was and consequently was surprised by the level of interest. I was really interested in buying it, but when I checked out the costs involved to do it properly, it just didn't add up and with an impending house move, head had to rule heart!
However, I subsequently contacted him after the sale and he assured me it had gone to a genuine MG enthusiast. Lets hope we see the car in the future. Still kicking myself as I've been interested in an 'SVC' car for some time and to find one that's a genuine VVC model....dohhhhh!
All the best, Phil

David Dixon

Post by David Dixon » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:43 am

Thanks for update Phil, there were some hints on the facebook pages that it had gone to an enthusiast buyer, and that updates on it might be posted. I sought for a long time sa 'SVC' MGF however I now have a MGTF toward the end of the MG Rover build, nothing historical, but I really do like it, so not about to move my focus away from that.

Blackwell Bandit

Post by Blackwell Bandit » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:22 am

As far as pre production cars go I was working for Rover at the time and programmed the paint machines in No2 paint shop to accept the new PR3 (MGF), I think Volcano was water based paint introduced in the the new No3 Paint shop in which I was a project (control Engineer) and I remember many MGF bodies being put through the plant mostly scrapped afterwards but Volcano was a new paint so potentially it could have been pre production one of the first through No3 so quite late pre production.

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

David Dixon

Post by David Dixon » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:12 am

Vin number 000083, built on 24/07/1995 I am informed.

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:33 pm

Definitely Volcano in the build data :)
Nigel May
Vice Chairman, Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:32 pm

Phil Jay wrote:Hi Rob and David,
I spoke too the seller at length about this car. He is a really nice guy and had no idea what the car was and consequently was surprised by the level of interest. I was really interested in buying it, but when I checked out the costs involved to do it properly, it just didn't add up and with an impending house move, head had to rule heart!
However, I subsequently contacted him after the sale and he assured me it had gone to a genuine MG enthusiast. Lets hope we see the car in the future. Still kicking myself as I've been interested in an 'SVC' car for some time and to find one that's a genuine VVC model....dohhhhh!
All the best, Phil
Thanks for that update Phil - and good news it has gone to an enthusiast. :thumbsu:

I'd love a pre-pro car as well, but never in the right place at the right time with the right money! LOL :lol:
Blackwell Bandit wrote:As far as pre production cars go I was working for Rover at the time and programmed the paint machines in No2 paint shop to accept the new PR3 (MGF), I think Volcano was water based paint introduced in the the new No3 Paint shop in which I was a project (control Engineer) and I remember many MGF bodies being put through the plant mostly scrapped afterwards but Volcano was a new paint so potentially it could have been pre production one of the first through No3 so quite late pre production.
Thanks for that wonderful snippet of information! :thumbsu: Apart from the water based paint chipping off more easily than I'd like, the paint quality on MGs is really very good (nothing like the orange peel effect you see on BMWs and the like...)

janiepb
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF's

Post by janiepb » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:48 am

N817 SVC came home from the paint shop today and now for the rebuild. It’s been a long 3 years to get to this stage red paint is a nightmare to remove and going back to bare metal was the only way. A sneak preview of him attached
Attachments
ADEFF4B0-DE53-4A1B-962A-0B5DCB5F413B.jpeg
77EC1B52-1019-4EF8-9021-633A756021FF.jpeg
DBB09DFE-844F-41CB-92F4-E5610C6B7445.jpeg
Loud & Proud ... TT Exhaust, oh, and don't forget Zip :D

David Dixon

Post by David Dixon » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:39 pm

Grest to see the progress pictures.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:15 pm

Gorgeous! Painted inside and out?

N7 should be going for bodywork soon too. Suspension refresh almost complete... and almost there with the ABS retrofit :)

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:17 pm

Shame the original eBay listing has been removed (not surprising I guess!) - do you have "before" pictures?

janiepb
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF's

Post by janiepb » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:57 pm

Rob Bell wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:17 pm
Shame the original eBay listing has been removed (not surprising I guess!) - do you have "before" pictures?
Hi Rob yes I do alongside the eBay advertisement ... here is one of the original pictures alongside photos of him from the press run.

He was too special not to restore correctly so back to bare metal.
Attachments
4966820D-4560-42CA-86F3-65C6F6AF5014.jpeg
FC4657A3-32D4-47D8-89FC-991F553675B6.jpeg
Loud & Proud ... TT Exhaust, oh, and don't forget Zip :D