Is this a genuine MG Cat?

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

beefio
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC BRG

Is this a genuine MG Cat?

Post by beefio » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:37 am

I brought this Cat new on eBay as he seller said it a genuine part purchased direct from the MG Owners club, however it looks different to the Cat that was on my car and the ones on Rimmers, please can anyone confirm for me?
IMG_4934.JPG
IMG_4935.JPG
IMG_4936.JPG

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Re: Is this a genuine MG Cat?

Post by Keith Williams » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:38 am

Price will tell you if it is genuine MG part or not. Generic cats will be of the order of £30-50. MG part will be £200 ish.
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

beefio
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC BRG

Post by beefio » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:42 am

I paid £70 but I brought it from a private seller who originally brought it from the MGOC...

Steve White
Regional Rep
Model of Car: TF160, ZT260

Post by Steve White » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:19 pm

Its a pattern part not genuine. The original has studs welded into the flanges and is quite a different shape.
MGOC list the cat for £90, whereas Rimmers are asking £210 for a genuine one or £100 for an aftermarket part.
I cant see the MGR part number WAG103651 on any of the stickers either, which I would expect if genuine.

Its getting increasingly difficult to get some genuine parts these days.
From my experience, even if you buy a 'genuine' item from Xpart you can end up with a pattern part that's been stuck in an Xpart/MGR branded box.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:28 pm

Steve White wrote:Its getting increasingly difficult to get some genuine parts these days.
From my experience, even if you buy a 'genuine' item from Xpart you can end up with a pattern part that's been stuck in an Xpart/MGR branded box.
That's worrying... :o :(

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:08 pm

The UK is just about the only place in Europe where "Reverse Engineered" (Chinese Copy Parts ) may be legally fitted to a car. In nearly all other countries only OEM of "TUV Approved" Aftermarket" (of which there are very few with EBC being one of them).may be used All of the Swedish Wheels coming to the UK was an example.
The Multi Million £ UK aftermarket buisness has a very strong lobby. The EU Law will not have a chance now with Brexit.
Our cars have No RE Parts.
Geoff.F

apiebyanyothername
MGF Register Region: Europe

Post by apiebyanyothername » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:40 pm

It could be, it depends how many suppliers Rover had. The catalyst would come from ASEC or JM ( normally two sources ) and then on to another company or companies for canning ( Fiat / Alfa in the 1990s used no less than 7 different canners and they all looked a bit different!). The canning was frequently different depending on the canners equipment Only the catalyst had to get type approval. Normally you can find the canners ticket hidden somewhere and that can give you a very good idea of whether its a cheapo ( if its a certain group of exhaust replacement companies, they will have a lower spec catalyst - it will still go through the test ok, but has lower precious metal loadings and is thus cheaper). All the major car companies seemed
to delight in incredible mark ups on the prices of replacement catalysts compared with the production line cost.

apiebyanyothername
MGF Register Region: Europe

Post by apiebyanyothername » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:47 pm

Geoff.F wrote:The UK is just about the only place in Europe where "Reverse Engineered" (Chinese Copy Parts ) may be legally fitted to a car. In nearly all other countries only OEM of "TUV Approved" Aftermarket" (of which there are very few with EBC being one of them).may be used All of the Swedish Wheels coming to the UK was an example.
The Multi Million £ UK aftermarket buisness has a very strong lobby. The EU Law will not have a chance now with Brexit.
Our cars have No RE Parts.
Geoff.F
Nope!