Remote locking/immobiliser failure

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Bowline5
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: TF 1.8 MY2003

Remote locking/immobiliser failure

Post by Bowline5 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:29 pm

This morning the car was fine, I used it to do some shopping, got home and it sat outside the house all day. This evening the remote does nothing and when I turn the ignition key I get all the dashboard lights on and the immobiliser warning bleeping. I've checked everything I can, which is the battery in the remote, and although it registered a full 3 volts I replaced it just in case. Where to next? The car is a 03 TF, I'm the 4th owner so the security card and EKA are long gone. It has a Lucas alarm system with a type 17TN key fob. If I replace the fob, how do I code it to the LCU or do I have to replace that too? Please don't tell me that would need a new ECU as well. Help please

daz
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mg less :(

Re: Remote locking/immobiliser failure

Post by daz » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:48 am

have you tried resyncing the fob by repeatedly pressing the lock button until it locks?

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:59 am

Bowline5 wrote:If I replace the fob, how do I code it to the LCU or do I have to replace that too? Please don't tell me that would need a new ECU as well. Help please
You will need to have the fob coded to the alarm by a garage with an MG Rover T4 computer. They will be able to let you have the EKA codes at the same time.
Nigel May
Vice Chairman, Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Bowline5
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: TF 1.8 MY2003

Post by Bowline5 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:29 pm

OK so now I'm totally confused. Last night I researched online and did all the multiple press tests, test modes etc in the dark with a torch. This morning I got in the car, I had not locked it, put the key in the ignition and after a couple of bleeps from the immobiliser it started. Next job I think is to get it to my friendly local mechanic and run a diagnostic and prevent it failing again.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:23 pm

Sounds like you need to replace the battery in the key fob... :)

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:51 pm

Bowline5 wrote:.....Next job I think is to get it to my friendly local mechanic and run a diagnostic and prevent it failing again.
They will only be able to access it if they have MGR specific equipment.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com