Advice re: issues with recently acquired TF160

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

JustExtreme
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Re: Advice re: issues with recently acquired TF160

Post by JustExtreme » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:21 pm

daz wrote:
talkingcars wrote:A 10mm ratchet spanner is useful for undoing the 3 bolts under the t bar.

Don't forget to throw these 3 bolts away & never refit them again. :lol:
Funnily enough the 3 bolts under the T-bar were missing in mine!

Took off the engine cover yesterday to check out that top end oil leak and it seems to be coming from around the cam cover gasket sort of area. I took some pictures and will upload later.

Been a bit of a busy week and a bit so apologies for not getting back sooner.

Daz thanks for offering to help with locating the oil leaks may still take you up on that if you're still up for it although I think I'm close to having sussed the top end one seems to just need a cam cover gasket. Bottom end one is under the driveshaft so not too sure about that one maybe the sump gasket.

Will get some quotes from places for the main stuff to be done and get the tyres sorted soon.

daz
Model of Car: mg less :(

Post by daz » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:55 pm

No problem, just give me a shout

JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:33 pm

Does this look like a rocker cover gasket oil leak?

More pics here https://imgur.com/a/a6LRX

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:20 pm

More of a weep than a leak.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:20 pm

To remove the 3 bolts, remove all the others, slacken the 3 about 3 turns, apply some oil and by shuffling the panel the bolts will hand wind out.
To refit them, loosley fit 3 bolts along the rear and then take a wooden clothes peg, remove the legs and you have 2 wedges to use to lift the front edge about 5mm. Drop the bolts thru the panel so they are held vertically aligned and hand turn them to locate. Remove the wedges and bolt up.
Geoff.F

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:35 pm

That sounds like a lot of work, I just used a ratchet spanner.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:11 pm

I gave mobile mechanics an email the other week and they reckon around £650 to resolve all my major issues based on what I've listed in this thread earlier on.

Fast forward to today my other car Suzuki Swift is in the garage for a new clutch and I'd not driven the TF for about a week. It refused to start instead emitting a clicking noise from starter motor which, following some google-fu, appears to mean there is not enough power in the battery or there is an earth fault (or maybe alternator...). Going to try disconnecting the battery and charging it up overnight later.

Mikeadman
Model of Car: MGTF 135 2005

Post by Mikeadman » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:34 pm

Battery charging should do it.

Cheers

Mike.

JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:36 pm

The battery read 9.9v so currently got it on charge.

The bolt for the clamp is rusted to hell so I'm charging it in the car on the drive using an extension lead

JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:39 am

It charged back up fine but would drain if not used for a week or so back down to 9v-ish

Went away for Xmas and the car was standing for like 2 weeks and the battery has drained completely won't even charge. Does that indicate that perhaps the battery needs replacing anyway?

daz

Post by daz » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:16 am

Yes

Bazzajay
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Wedgwood SE 1800i

Post by Bazzajay » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:10 am

It could also be the type of charger you are using. If you have one of the modern ones which are supposed to adjust the charge to suit, it probably won't work. If you have an older model it probably will.

Like you, I had a completely discharged battery and I tried my modern charger, just over a year old, and nothing. I then searched for my 1962 charger, connected it and it started charging immediately. In the morning the battery was fully charged and I've had no trouble since. Still don't know what caused the battery to discharge.
Barrie

2000 MGF Wedgwood SE 1800i
2002 Peugeot Partner Quiksilver

JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:55 am

I've got one of the modern ones that are meant to adjust charge but it just says error on the LCD which according to the manual indicates battery is faulty. Does anywhere sell older style ones that you mentioned?

daz

Post by daz » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:33 pm

To be honest, you're asking for trouble if you keep charging the battery as it only lasts a week before needing to be charged again, just replace it. The last thing you want is to be stuck somewhere when the battery finally gives up altogether.

You want the car to be as reliable as possible, not have a nagging doubt in the back of your mind wondering if the car will start after a sunny roof down drive to a nice beach front pub :)

For the sake of £45 ish it's not worth the worry. Or go & pay £20 for an older type charger & not know if the car will start when you go out to it. The choice is yours.

Fix the problem, don't keep putting it off.

JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:43 pm

Yeah I'd rather not have that uncertainty to be honest! :lol:
Where would you recommend buying a battery from?

daz

Post by daz » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:58 pm

I normally just go to euro car parts as the usually have some sort of discount code going. It's more about the convenience than the cost for me though.

JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme » Mon May 21, 2018 2:54 pm

So it got through it's MOT last week with a few suspension bits needing doing which came to only £200 at the usual garage I use. The guy reckoned the rocker cover gasket oil leak is so minor that I may as well just keep an eye on the oil level rather than pay the labour to resolve it. The driveshaft/gearbox leak needs looking at but wasn't an MOT fail thankfully (would have been if I'd taken it for MOT with the new rules that came in yesterday).

Yesterday I opened up the engine bay and swapped the blue/black vvc solenoids around as I noticed it was idling high and rev limiter was kicking in at 6750rpm-ish and wow! The noise it makes past 4000rpm now is pleasing to me and I can definitely feel those extra 25 or so horses. The garage that did the HG before I bought it must have put the cables the wrong way around...

So now all I need is to get that oil leak looked at (quoted around 200ish with parts and labour at same garage as aforementioned) and a new set of Falkens (if I can find them anywhere, seem to be a bit low in stock atm everywhere!). Then maybe I'll start looking at some mods i.e. boot release and possibly a remap.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Wed May 23, 2018 9:23 am

:thumbsu: Good result!

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Wed May 23, 2018 11:08 pm

daz wrote:I normally just go to euro car parts as the usually have some sort of discount code going. It's more about the convenience than the cost for me though.
I've just had to source a new battery for my Alfa - £115 from Halfords, £95 from EuroCarParts and £46 from my local independent.

BodgeItAndScarper
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Thu May 24, 2018 3:18 pm

I just bought a new battery from EBay for my other car for £35 delivered. It's the right spec for the F as well. Whatever spec and quality i looked at seemed to be at least 10-20% cheaper on Ebay.