I am about to buy a Money Pit

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Macski
MGF Register Region: North West

I am about to buy a Money Pit

Post by Macski » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:23 pm

According to everyone I know.

11 year ago I bought a three year old Alfa Romeo, I bought it as a temporary car while I looked for something better. Recall when I first bought everyone was telling me to get rid of it quickly as it will rust, it will give me electrical problems and mechanically poor. I still own it, most reliable car I have ever owned, including a Mercedes and a Mazda.

Now I am looking at a MGF as a occasional summer car - mid life crises - and expect to do less then 2,000 per year in it. Yet everyone I talk to tells me it will be an endless money pit.

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Re: I am about to buy a Money Pit

Post by nigelandjo » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:49 pm

Smiles per mile are priceless!!
Nigel May
Vice Chairman, Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:44 pm

Hi again

I am thinking of getting a 159 to replace our ZS and ZR........

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:46 pm

Macski wrote:Now I am looking at a MGF as a occasional summer car - mid life crises - and expect to do less then 2,000 per year in it. Yet everyone I talk to tells me it will be an endless money pit.
Isn't every car.....

I think of it as a hobby, not just a form of transport.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:26 pm

^^ so true

I don't think MGFs are money pits - but there are surely some cars that have been neglected and will have a long list of jobs to be done. Then there are others, often for much the same money, that are very very good... The trick is to find the right one. Which is easier said than done!

A buying guide can be found here - hope you find it helpful: http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group1/info/MGF_buying.htm

hammond
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: VVC Freestyle

Post by hammond » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:16 pm

I brought an immaculate one with low mileage and still managed to spend thousands on it already and I'm not done yet. But as previously said it's a hobby that keeps me busy and gives me happiness. And as a famous advert says. Priceless :thumbsu:

And I have two other cars to drive for other use.

MK6
MGF Register Region: Europe

Post by MK6 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:17 pm

I'm in the very same situation. Always wanted one but always stayed away. Now have finally decided to seriously look for one. Everybody is telling me I'm crazy! That "I should forget that piece of ****"! Especially that I'm in the continent and not the UK. They are telling me if I want such a car just buy a MX5 and never look back. But I like the mid rear engine and the looks of the MG way more than a MX5.

So by some of the posts here I'm gathering that they are not wrong in saying the MG is a money pit? A MX5 is also a hobby car and it's definitely not a money pit.

By the way, which Alfa do you have Macski?

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:35 pm

I spend money on my F because I want to, it'd be the same with a MX5, or MR2 or.......

Buzzy-Beans
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i

Post by Buzzy-Beans » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:39 am

I am off to check out what appears to be an immaculate 'F' this morning and now having read and hopefully committed to memory all the detail, data and information given in the truly excellent ultimatemg buyers guide.
Very fortunately the seller will be putting it up on a 4 post lift, so I will be able to check out every accessible nook and cranny whilst I rummage about into the hidden depths underneath, after that I will be taking it out for a decent test drive and only then will I be making my decision.

But back to the OP of @Macksi , my SWMBO feels that all of my modes of transport are money pits as I am constantly fettling them, most especially my Shorter Rochford vintage/classic time trial bike, on which I spend veritable fortunes keeping it running like the very finely balanced machine that it is!

All the best

Phil