How is the MGTF as a sports car?

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

MK6
MGF Register Region: Europe

How is the MGTF as a sports car?

Post by MK6 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:13 pm

Is it a good sports car? I read it handles much better than the MGF. But how trackable is it? With a few mods would it make a good track day car? I know it wasn't made for that. I'm just asking if the potential is there or if it's a losing proposition.

I read the MGF hydragas is more comfortable but not as sporty. And the MGTF having a conventional suspension it probably has more potential for suspension upgrades and set ups?

Bigfootmgf
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8

Re: How is the MGTF as a sports car?

Post by Bigfootmgf » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:00 am

Hi both can be used on track and handle very well for road cars! But it all depends on what you want or expect!
They are not badly balanced as the engine is light being aluminum.
A enormous amount of fun can be had with standard cars with only upgraded brake pads!
If you do a track day don't expect to keep up with a lotus Elise as it won't!
Same engine as early Elise but alot more weight!
You have to accept what it is or spend alot of money trying to make it faster!
Paul

Mod's cost money that you don't have or you could have if you did not have mods!

Bigfootmgf youtube Channel
SE MGF Facebook page

MK6

Post by MK6 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:43 am

Thanks for the reply.

So the only reason it won't keep up with an Elise is power? Or also handling?

Where would you spend your money to make it faster?

Bigfootmgf

Post by Bigfootmgf » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:51 pm

The first Elise had the same mpi 1.8 engine as the f producing the same sort of power 118bhp
The difference was in chassis Elise 725kg bonded aluminum /fibre glass body, MG all steel 1060kg!
Paul

Mod's cost money that you don't have or you could have if you did not have mods!

SE MGF Facebook page

Bigfootmgf

Post by Bigfootmgf » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:06 pm

If I was starting again I would probably get a tf160 stick sticky tyres and better brake pads on.
And have fun with that! Maybe get it remapped but that is it! Anything else will mean costs spiralling out of control!
Paul

SE MGF Facebook page

MK6

Post by MK6 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:23 pm

Yes, I know the Elise is much lighter. Hence why I asked if the problem was just power. ;)

Lighter means more power per weight. So I was wondering, had the MGTF the same power per weight as an Elise, would it keep up? Or the limitation is also with the chassis, suspension and handling?

Bigfootmgf

Post by Bigfootmgf » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:01 pm

The Elise has got better suspension more track orientated. So probably not
Paul

SE MGF Facebook page

MK6

Post by MK6 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:49 pm

But are we talking about better suspension design or better suspension set up?

Suspension set up and tuning can be adjusted. If the MG is more set up for ride comfort for example- The Elise is definitely set up for sports driving.

Now if we are talking suspension design, then it's a lost cause.

Bigfootmgf

Post by Bigfootmgf » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:20 pm

I would imagine better design.
But then I am not a expert!
Paul

SE MGF Facebook page

MK6

Post by MK6 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:52 am

Ok. I will take a look at some MGTF and Elise cutaways and compare the suspensions. But I cant see what could possibly be inherently superior and not just a matter of set up and tuning, as the TF also has fully independent suspension all around.

By the way, the thread is a bit of a two way only chat. It seems not many track their MGs here. But maybe others will chime in too. :thumbsu:

Bigfootmgf

Post by Bigfootmgf » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:32 am

You could try the mgs on track forum!
Paul

SE MGF Facebook page

MK6

Post by MK6 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:10 pm

OK, thanks for the tip. I will google that.

By the way, that's a very nice photo you have for your signature. I guess that's your car? Very nice stance. Are those 16" wheels? Would love to see the original picture without the solarization effect.

Bigfootmgf

Post by Bigfootmgf » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:16 pm

Yes they are 16" square spokes from my2000 only problem with them is you can't fit ap brakes! So have to make do with more aggressive pads! Will find a picture when at the computer next!
Paul

SE MGF Facebook page

MK6

Post by MK6 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:51 pm

Thanks. I mean the exact same photo as you have in your signature though. It's such a nice photo of a MG profile.:)

Mike H
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: 2010 MGTF135

Post by Mike H » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:11 pm

MK6 wrote:.....It seems not many track their MGs here. But maybe others will chime in too. :thumbsu:
To your comment above, I'll just chip in here with the fact that I've tracked my F and both my TF's (with MGs on Track) over the years, and in every case the car has been far more capable than I have ever been. No issues with using a standard road car on track except higher than average tyre and brake wear mile for mile ;)
Audi TTS owner
Former MGTF 135 owner
Former TF 160 Sprint owner
Former ZS180 owner
Former MGF owner

MK6

Post by MK6 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:21 pm

Sure. I was just wondering how it compares or keeps up with the best of the best, such as Elise, Exige or even the larger Cayman. Don't mean in speed as that is a matter of power. I mean handling and other driving aspects.

Bigfootmgf

Post by Bigfootmgf » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:31 pm

MK6 wrote:OK, thanks for the tip. I will google that.

By the way, that's a very nice photo you have for your signature. I guess that's your car? Very nice stance. Are those 16" wheels? Would love to see the original picture without the solarization effect.
Sorry it took so long Flu got in the way!
A more recent photo!
Paul

SE MGF Facebook page

MK6

Post by MK6 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:32 pm

No problem.

Thanks! Great pictures.

Buzzy-Beans
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i

Post by Buzzy-Beans » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:28 am

This topic makes me smile, the reason being how on the earth can you possibly compare chalk with cheese?

OK the cars in question have basically the same engine (in certain applications), they both have a mid mounted engine and they are both strictly 2 seaters, but apart from that there simply aren't any similarities whatsoever most especially when price is taken into consideration!

When designing the Lotus Elise, Julian Thomson, then head of design at Lotus, and Richard Rackham Lotus's chief engineer, they had an almost totally clean sheet of paper on which to start their design and planning, added to which they were being encouraged to consider using a totally new and innovative production techniques for the construction of the structural floor pan which was both exceptionally light whilst at the same time being torsionally as stiff as they come.

The driving experience of the two cars couldn't be more different and it is amazing that the 'F' & 'TF' do as well as they do i comparison.......... going back a good few years it would have been utterly foolhardy trying to compare a 1275 MG Midget with a Lotus 7 (both of which I once owned) and I never did, both of which were front engined rear wheel drive cars, both were very strictly 2 seaters and both of which were sports cars.

Bigfootmgf

Post by Bigfootmgf » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:23 am

Ah but that was the point of the comparison between the two if you go on track don't expect to be able to keep up with anything else that is same power because the f/tf is heavy! It is a road car!
I do track days with mgs on track so not a problem as we are in similar cars so very fun!
I wouldn't want to do the same thing with a mixture of cars like lotus / hot hatch / Porsche because everything will be passing you all the time!!
The lotus comparison is a good one tho because they were both aimed at the same market but 2 different outcomes! One weekend fun car the other daily roadster!!
Paul

SE MGF Facebook page