How much for a spray refresh?

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

c13amb
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

How much for a spray refresh?

Post by c13amb » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:36 pm

As per title everyone..was wondering how much i should or how much some of you may have paid for a bodywork repaint ?
What i will be looking for is short of a full respray(depending on price) but some minor panel repairs..scratches ..small dents etc but all paint either refreshed or maybe a good mopping to blend it all in!
I will be getting my alloys repainted/shotblasted too but they will cost about £30-40 each.
Just looking for comparisons really so i can have a better idea..cheers in advance!

Carl.
My cars..MY04 '54 MGTF135 in Yas Marina Blue!!!

MY13'63 AUDI Q7 S-LINE 3Ltr. In ibis white!!!

ZSx
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGF VVC & MG ZS T16

Re: How much for a spray refresh?

Post by ZSx » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:39 pm

What car? and What colour?

Both will affect price drastically. :)

c13amb

Post by c13amb » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:44 pm

Sorry its my TF in its current factory supplied colour of Starlight Silver..MBB colour code!!

daz
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mg less :(

Post by daz » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:49 pm

£1000 here for a quick & dirty repair/repaint, £3k + for an excellent job

Kasper
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Post by Kasper » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:43 am

daz wrote:£1000 here for a quick & dirty repair/repaint, £3k + for an excellent job
I guess that is the only correct answer. I did my I about 10yrs ago after two dogs scratching all panels eager to get to the remains of a cat that slept all night on the soft top.
it was not just the spray job, where there is everything possible between a dirty repair spray as usually done at your daily drive to a high quality finish with some extra layers of transparent finish to get a real glossy and shiny car.
Then you'll are about to choose whether just to replace the old trimming and rubbers or replace them as well! Finally that makes the difference!
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be

c13amb

Post by c13amb » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:09 pm

I appreciate the replies guys!!
Im not looking for concours..and not every panel is bad so really looking towards the 1k side then?
Or possibly get away with a per panel price and blending in?

daz

Post by daz » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:40 pm

Do the whole car, it looks better than messing with 1 panel at a time & could end up being not much more. Don't you fancy a colour change? The worlds out there for the taking if you're respraying anyway.

c13amb

Post by c13amb » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:28 am

Trying to keep costs to a minimum daz...without hindering the result so a colour change may cost too much ! I was considering keeping it silver with a subtle blue fleck in it :sf:

daz

Post by daz » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:05 pm

c13amb wrote:Trying to keep costs to a minimum daz...without hindering the result so a colour change may cost too much ! I was considering keeping it silver with a subtle blue fleck in it :sf:

ah, subtlety isn't my thing :thumbsu:

c13amb

Post by c13amb » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:27 pm

daz wrote:
c13amb wrote:Trying to keep costs to a minimum daz...without hindering the result so a colour change may cost too much ! I was considering keeping it silver with a subtle blue fleck in it :sf:

ah, subtlety isn't my thing :thumbsu:
Dont worry m8..ill paint the scoops pea green! :lol: :o

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:25 pm

A couple of alternative routes.

If the physical condition of the paint is ok but the colour is poor you could get the car wrapped, the only limit with this is your imagination.

Or you could find a car with body work in good condition but poor mechanics and swap the panels over leaving basically just the rear wings to sort, I picked up all the removable panels from a mk2 in HHF to fit my late mk1 that seemed to have lived under a tree for most of its life, cost £100 and a 200 mile round trip. Unlike most cars you can swap the roof easily.

Or just sticker bomb it................
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:29 pm

Mine will be going for a complete body renovation this year. I reckon it’ll be costing about 4K, but will be getting some quotations...

c13amb

Post by c13amb » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:49 pm

Thats a bit too much for me rob...but if i had it i would be doing the same :thumbsu:
Ive been fortunate and found a decent sprayer near to home who is great mates with my Grandaughters longterm boyfriend.Hes spoken to him and he says depending on what i want it will cost me for a full blow over including the alloy colour change in the region of £700-800..!!
Im happy with that have seen some of his previous work and its good quality and he has a good reputation ;)

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:52 pm

You’re very, very lucky :thumbsu:

ZSx

Post by ZSx » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:03 pm

c13amb wrote:Thats a bit too much for me rob...but if i had it i would be doing the same :thumbsu:
Ive been fortunate and found a decent sprayer near to home who is great mates with my Grandaughters longterm boyfriend.Hes spoken to him and he says depending on what i want it will cost me for a full blow over including the alloy colour change in the region of £700-800..!!
Im happy with that have seen some of his previous work and its good quality and he has a good reputation ;)
If its just a blow over then its just a "freshen up" and no rust repairs etc, also they will miss all the shuts and inside bonnet/boot etc... How are those areas holding up?

I'd expect a price IRO the above for a liquid wrap type solution (maybe slightly less for an F...) and easily over a grand for traditional paint :)

For 4k, on an F, I'd expect the shell fully stripped down and de-rusted then completely new paint etc and rust proofed... I assume a car with a quote like that is in need of a lot of body work and de-rusting with a lot of welding!

My source for this, and for full disclosure, is that we run an Airbrush and Custom Paint shop. (F Register members get a discount too :) )

c13amb

Post by c13amb » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:28 pm

Zsx,
As you correctly say its for a "refresh" as per thread title..i am aware that under the bonnet wont be done but the door shuts will be done ;)
I appreciate your experiance but my cars bodyworks in a very good state with little or no rust so a refresh is all it needs at this moment in time :thumbsu:

ZSx

Post by ZSx » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:00 am

c13amb wrote:Zsx,
As you correctly say its for a "refresh" as per thread title..i am aware that under the bonnet wont be done but the door shuts will be done ;)
I appreciate your experiance but my cars bodyworks in a very good state with little or no rust so a refresh is all it needs at this moment in time :thumbsu:
Thats great :) these cars are very quickly getting to the stage where rust and carpark dinks etc, so it is refreshing to hear of a car in such good condition and an owner who is taking good care of their car :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

AndyH
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by AndyH » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:54 am

If you are considering either full or partial respray I would chat to AD Panelcraft of Milton Keynes.

Top quality finish, very good prices, and excellent at bodywork. I wouldn't consider using anybody else.

They are that good it is worth travelling to Milton Keynes for.

The price will obviously depend on how much bodywork you need doing before they can paint. Dents, rust, old filler, etc.

Probably forget ballpark figures you'll have to take it in and let them look for an accurate quote but you could always give them a phonecall

mbwoy84

Post by mbwoy84 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:08 pm

I own a restoration bodyshop and have worked on a few member's cars and can offer anything from small repairs to a full nut and bolt restoration.

Here is my old TF, which we performed a full respray on after a complete mechanical overhaul

And here our latest showpiece, a Rover SD1 Police car, as exhibited at the NEC this month

The owner did a hell of a lot of the restoration on that himself, but some finishing to the body, including getting the panel gaps far better than they ever were from the factory and all paintwork etc was carried out by us.

Anyway, just to give my opinion on the matter, any professional will need to see (and feel) the car in the flesh before giving an estimate, but work on the basis that for a "factory" finish, without allowing for a great deal of repair work (the odd small ding maybe, but not larger dents or panels peppered with dings), I would estimate £1750+VAT to respray the exterior of a TF in the same colour. When I say exterior, that would include door shuts, tops of wings etc, but nothing further internal than that. Then any additional repair work would go on top. Of course, a finish far superior to that of a "factory" finish can be achieved, but that again could be additional up to double the price.

Also, I would suggest that Silver is the most difficult colour to successfully blend new paint into old. I would also suggest that waterbased paint would be the way to go if you were respraying the car in silver. As a resto man at heart, but does work on all cars from the vintage era to ones that have been damaged upon delivery on the transporter, I generally still prefer using solvent-based paints, but silver basecoat definitely flows better and lays smoother in waterbased.

If you require any additional help or advice I would be more than happy to help, regardless of if/where you have the work done!

All the best

Mike