New k-series book by Iain Ayre and Rob Hawkins

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

ppo
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe

New k-series book by Iain Ayre and Rob Hawkins

Post by ppo » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:32 am

Anyone seen this book in the shelves yet:

Rover K-Series Engine: Maintenance, Repair and Modification
by Iain Ayre and Rob Hawkins
Crowood Press
ISBN: 9781785003936

Should have been published last month and I pre-ordered it, but it hasn’t arrived yet.

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Re: New k-series book by Iain Ayre and Rob Hawkins

Post by Geoff.F » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:52 pm

Crowood Press show a Publication Date of 10th April 2018 (Today) so you may have to be patient.
Geoff.F

mowog73
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by mowog73 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:14 pm

I too pre-ordered a copy many weeks ago and am waiting impatiently for the order to be filled.
Mark

ppo
Regional Rep

Post by ppo » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:20 pm

Thank Geoff. Hope they don’t change the date again.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:09 pm

Rob, I am pretty sure, is a motoring Journalist who I met back in the day playing around with various air filters. :) Not sure I know Iain? Hopefully they've been in touch with the various tuning gurus (Dave Andrew's opinion is always worth hearing IMO).

Interestingly, I've been chatting to Lindsay Porter, who is currently keen on writing a book on the MGF - so there is plenty of interest from the industry in our aging sportscars! :D :thumbsu:

Keith Williams
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Post by Keith Williams » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:57 pm

The next time I have an order in at Crowood, I will get in a couple of these books in to add to our regalia stock.
This will probably be in late June as there is another Roger Parker book planned to be out then for the F/TF ;-)
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:10 pm

Rob is indeed a freelance motor journalist. Wrote the article and took the photos of our 2 TF 85ths for MG Enthusiast last year.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue May 01, 2018 3:02 pm

Who has got one? I heard that Mykel has got a copy and thinks it is a good read... :thumbsu:

ppo
Regional Rep

Post by ppo » Tue May 01, 2018 3:17 pm

I got mine too. Only had a quick look through.

mowog73

Post by mowog73 » Wed May 02, 2018 11:48 am

I received mine about a week ago. I've skimmed the whole book and read about a third so far. Its pretty good but there are several places where I would have added more detail and there are a few things that I don't agree with either. I do like how they talk about the positive attributes of the K-series. They do talk about its achilles heel but in the same breath they say how the issues has been solved. At the moment I'd give it a thumbs up.
Mark

Mykel
Regional Rep
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Wed May 02, 2018 3:39 pm

I indeed have received mine and read most of it. Mark is absolutely spot on in his comment, some things do lack a bit of detail, but that’s what you would expect from a book this size.

Like Mark, I do not share all the practices described. In particular I’m no friend of skimming heads, as usually one in serious need of taking off - say - 0.1 or 0.2 millimetres due to indentations is usually scrap anyway. Also I have neither experienced any issues with flat liners (as long as the head’s hardness is not affected) nor with re-using the standard oil rail. Imho there are a lot of urban myths around as to the “usual things to to” to make a K-series more reliable, and these are repeated in this book.

Anyway, there are interesting approaches and even new ideas, like checking the oil pressure relief valve for example. I advised a friend to do this as his warning light came on infrequently but regularly, he removed the valve piston and smoothed it down slightly, now the light stays off.

All in all a good read, some reassurances and worthwhile hints in the right direction when it comes to tuning. The KV6 section is also quite interesting, as I had never liked into that before, although some of the photos in that chapter seem to be mirrored for no apparent reason. In particular I liked the “Who likes the K-series” part a lot, where the authors look beyond the MGR rice bowl and it’s amazing in what cars this engine had been used.
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu May 03, 2018 12:56 pm

Thanks! I'll have to order a copy - I haven't yet checked to see whether the Register book shop has it listed yet...

Keith Williams
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Post by Keith Williams » Thu May 03, 2018 1:06 pm

Rob Bell wrote:Thanks! I'll have to order a copy - I haven't yet checked to see whether the Register book shop has it listed yet...
Not yet ... I will get some in maybe late June when I order in the new Roger Parker book if it is out on time.
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

TommyLes
MGF Register Region: United States of America

Post by TommyLes » Thu May 03, 2018 6:04 pm

Keith Williams wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 1:06 pm
Rob Bell wrote:Thanks! I'll benefit a lot from these weight loss pills and have to order a copy - I haven't yet checked to see whether the Register book shop has it listed yet...
Not yet ... I will get some in maybe late June when I order in the new Roger Parker book if it is out on time.
Cheers for the review, Mykel. I was on the fence about getting it, but I ordered a copy a few minutes ago after reading your post. Looking forward to reading it.
Last edited by TommyLes on Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Thu May 03, 2018 7:43 pm

Hi Tommy and welcome to the forum.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Phil Jay
Model of Car: MG TF 135

Post by Phil Jay » Fri May 11, 2018 7:17 pm

Hi guys,
I just received my copy and have read most of it with interest. On the whole it seems a good read, though I agree with Mykel about some of the content.
Overall good and glad I got it, though it made me realise what good value Roger Parker's book is.
I also loved the authors poke at the failings of the Porsche Boxster engine. Funny isn't it how some people always seem to knock our own products, but if it's made in Germany (no offence Mykel), they believe it's bomb proof, when that isn't always the case - i.e. BMW's recall of a huge amount of cars due to a major failure that has already claimed a life! Can you imagine the outcry if that had happened to MG/Rover?

mowog73

Post by mowog73 » Thu May 17, 2018 6:59 pm

The book talks about things to do to make the engine more reliable and they talk about the cooling system. One thing I am surprised that they don't mention is how to improve cooling/water circulation in the engine and cylinder head.

Anyone who had taken the cylinder head off will noticed that many of the coolant passages in the head are partially blocked off by casting flashes. A few minutes with a Dremel tool and carbide-tipped bit can remove the flashing and significantly improve coolant flow.
Attachments
finished opening the coolant passages
finished opening the coolant passages
partially blocked off coolant passages
partially blocked off coolant passages
Mark

Bazzajay
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Wedgwood SE 1800i

Post by Bazzajay » Fri May 18, 2018 12:02 am

mowog73 wrote:Anyone who had taken the cylinder head off will noticed that many of the coolant passages in the head are partially blocked off by casting flashes. A few minutes with a Dremel tool and carbide-tipped bit can remove the flashing and significantly improve coolant flow.
I haven't heard of this suggestion before, it seems eminently sensible to me. It's something I shall look into if my HG goes again. Thank you Mark.
Barrie

2000 MGF Wedgwood SE 1800i
2002 Peugeot Partner Quiksilver

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri May 18, 2018 1:16 pm

The moulding flash in the coolant channels are often horrific to look at - and certainly no harm smoothing these off. :thumbsu: