Mobile mechanics & garage services

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Dallas
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MG TF 1.8i 135 BRG

Mobile mechanics & garage services

Post by Dallas » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:12 pm

... neither of them want to touch my MGF, and its not even a VVC. :thumbsd:

Knock back after knock back, no local mechanic wants to do the cambelt change on my little 1.8i mpi... to difficult they say... :o

This drone noise I have once the engine has warmed up, they say it may not even be the belt tensioner or water pump...

I dont have a proper diagnosis, this is because no one will touch it... :rant:

Why do these cars have such a bad reputation?
MG TF 1.8i 135 BRG
Born on 8th January 2002 @ 09:02:26
38th MG TF in BRG Pearlescent (code: HFF) to be made out of 3,353 BRG Pearlescent TFs
123rd MG TF 135 to be made out of 19,475
145th MG TF to run off the production line out of 41,656

Bazzajay
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Wedgwood SE 1800i

Re: Mobile mechanics & garage services

Post by Bazzajay » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:28 am

That surprises me. I live on the Isle of Wight and I know of at least four garages here who will service and repair Fs. My own local one man garage is quite happy to work on mine, and another, much larger one, removed and replaced the displacers when they were sent to Hydragas Services at Telford for re-gassing, as the car needed storing while they were away and the local one didn't have the space.

It might be worth looking a bit further afield, or perhaps contacting someone in the local group to see if they can help.
Barrie

2000 MGF Wedgwood SE 1800i
2002 Peugeot Partner Quiksilver

Bigfootmgf
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8

Post by Bigfootmgf » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:56 am

There are garages out there you just need to find one that likes them! The garages that don't want to know probably don't know anything about them or only want simple jobs!
There are mobile guys that come to you like mjs, rough luck racing and mgrover solutions
I am sure you should be able to find someone local.
Good luck
Paul

Mod's cost money that you don't have or you could have if you did not have mods!

Bigfootmgf youtube Channel
SE MGF Facebook page

Dallas

Post by Dallas » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:19 am

Hi, The only mechanic I have found that will do the belt change is MJS Autos, but I'm not entirely sure a belt change will solve the drone noise, so I could end up wasting a large chunk of money. :o

The belt, tensioner and WP was done only 2 years (2,000 miles) ago, so it should not need changing yet. But! because she has a drown bearing noise which seems to be coming from the belt tensioner, I'm looking at another belt change.

I'm hoping the tensioner/WP has failed prematurely, but because I cannot get anyone to look at it, I'm up the creek without a paddle. :?

I just cannot believe mechanics are actually turning work away, the only guy I found who is local to me that would do the job wants £350 :o and that is with me supplying the parts. :o

I have already bought the kit, so you would think the labour cost would be at a sensible premium.

Does anyone know of a member here or on facebook who wants some paid work who lives near Wimborne Dorset who is willing to try and keep this little 'N' plate on the road? Mechanics local to me just dont want to touch these cars, they seem to have such a bad reputation, come to think of it, I haven't even seen another MGF/TF in the Bournemouth and Poole area for some time now. :o
MG TF 1.8i 135 BRG
38th MG TF in BRG Pearlescent (code: HFF) to be made out of 3,353 BRG Pearlescent TFs

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:31 pm

Ring Mike at MJS, he's good a phone diagnosis and will carry any parts he deems he made need.

It may also help if you can record a sound clip of the noise you describe.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Dallas

Post by Dallas » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:58 pm

Hi, I spoke to Mike, he can come out to me, not a problem.

But! I still dont know for sure if the drone noise is a belt tension problem, someone said the noise could be a stiff clutch release bearing arm. Common problem on the F/TF's.

Its hard to tell which side the noise is coming from, one minute its the belt side, then it sounds gearbox side. The drone is always there, clutch in or out, car stationary or moving.

I dont fancy paying £200+ on a belt change to still have the noise, the belt was only done 2 years ago. Can a tensioner fail after 2 years?

I will have to post up a video clip... its sounds just like a dry whining bearing.

The car needs for someone to actually look at it who isn't going to charge me an arm and a leg, but I cant get no one to even attempt to look at it.
MG TF 1.8i 135 BRG

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:15 am

Was the tensioner changed?
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Dallas

Post by Dallas » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:40 am

talkingcars wrote:Was the tensioner changed?
Yes I believe so, I only have previous owners word though.
MG TF 1.8i 135 BRG

Charless
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:20 am

I have had a bearing type noise on an F that used to worry me, I can still hear it when I listen, but after 170,000 miles with the same engine I have stopped worrying about it.
If you are worried about it, you had best bite the bullet and get peace of mind from a real expert like Mike having a look (and not unreasonably expecting to be paid for his expertise). It looks a nice car and it would be a shame to have it mangle itself for the sake of a standard belt service. After which you have 5 years to save up for the next one.

Dallas

Post by Dallas » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:25 pm

Charless wrote:I have had a bearing type noise on an F that used to worry me, I can still hear it when I listen, but after 170,000 miles with the same engine I have stopped worrying about it.
If you are worried about it, you had best bite the bullet and get peace of mind from a real expert like Mike having a look (and not unreasonably expecting to be paid for his expertise). It looks a nice car and it would be a shame to have it mangle itself for the sake of a standard belt service. After which you have 5 years to save up for the next one.
I thought the very same, but this noise gets quite loud once engine has warmed up, its hard to just ignore it. :?

I've booked Mike for first week in July, she was meant to go in and get the rusty sill done then, but the belt change seems more important.

To be told by previous owner that she had belt change only 2 years ago, and now I'm having it done again is a right pain. But if the tensioner is failing prematurely, or if its been overtightened, then it needs doing just to be on the safe side as you say.
MG TF 1.8i 135 BRG

CubMG
Model of Car: 2001 MGF

Post by CubMG » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:04 pm

Bazzajay wrote:That surprises me. I live on the Isle of Wight and I know of at least four garages here who will service and repair Fs. My own local one man garage is quite happy to work on mine, and another, much larger one, removed and replaced the displacers when they were sent to Hydragas Services at Telford for re-gassing, as the car needed storing while they were away and the local one didn't have the space.

It might be worth looking a bit further afield, or perhaps contacting someone in the local group to see if they can help.
Who on the island do you use ,For removing the spheres for a recharge.
Mondeo Ghia with Zetec S bodykit ,MGF mk 2 ,Morris Minor Bikes C90mg ,Piaggio Xevo +4 others :?

mail@alaister.co.uk
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i

Post by mail@alaister.co.uk » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:18 pm

I thought I should relate my recent experience following the purchase of a 2001 MGF 1.8i in Bournemouth. It was in what I considered to be mint condition: 64k miles; all important upgrade work done on the cylinder head; 4 brand new, good spec tyres; and, full MoT. It just needed a polish and a soft top scrub/rear window clean to look perfect, the suspension pumped up and the wheels aligned to handle properly and I purchased it for a very reasonable price. The vendor even arranged to have the water pump and timing belt changed at a cost of £200 plus parts, after the MoT inspection report had an advisory of a coolant leak, which delayed handover for a couple of weeks.

However, after driving the car for quite short distances over a few weeks, the car experienced overheating to the point of suffering an explosive steam expulsion from the engine compartment! After getting it home, I was relieved to find there was a burst coolant hose, so I replaced that in the expectation that would fix the problem. However, when I went to bleed the cooling system, I found the bleed screws on the radiator and heater easy to open, but the one in the engine compartment was completely seized and had obviously not been touched for a very long time.

This made me realise the mechanic who replaced the water pump had not done the job properly, no doubt causing the overheating. I then looked at his invoice, which had been passed to me as part of the car's service history, and was appalled to find this:

'Bled cooling system.'
Then as advisories:
'Bleed screw in engine compartment seized.
Top up coolant when engine cool.'

Which obviously meant the system HADN'T been bled! I couldn't believe a mechanic would return a car to the customer knowing full well the job hadn't been done properly and that a major breakdown could/would result! Why couldn't he have unseized the screw, he is a mechanic after all and this sort of thing must occur all the time in his work?

So, it was now apparent the burst hose was the result of overheating and not the cause of it, that it was likely far more damage would have resulted and so it transpired. I soon found water had leaked into the cylinders, so major repairs were required. Not being willing to pay a mechanic to carry out this work, I set about it myself, having done similar work on a variety of other cars in the past. What I found was even worse than I suspected.

Firstly, I couldn't remove the wheelnuts without the use of a 4 foot breaker bar (a short scaffold pole!), so a roadside wheel change would have been impossible. Secondly, the crankshaft pulley bolt also needed that same breaker bar to release and thirdly, the retaining bolt on the auxiliary belt tensioner wasn't even finger tight, so it could have fallen off at any time!

When I eventually managed to remove the cylinder head - quite an exercise taking a very long time on this car with its severely restricted access! - in addition to the cylinder water, I found the exhaust valves and valve seats were badly pitted, but that it had been fitted with the later multilayer and shim head gaskets during a previous head gasket repair.

So, the head was sent off for skimming and sent off again with new exhaust valves for professional valve lapping, after I found my own efforts at removing the valve seat pitting were proving ineffective. In the meantime, I cleaned up the piston heads and block before measuring the liner projections above the block with a steel rule and feeler gauges. These were found to be between 0.00mm and 0.05mm, i.e. virtually flush. Looking online I discovered the best headgasket for these measurements is the elastomer gasket, NOT the multilayer one that had been fitted, so I ordered the correct gasket set.

Amazingly and very serendipitously, at this time I bumped into a couple of guys at our local fete, who both had very extensive MGF experience, one having actually worked as a manager for MG at the time of my car's manufacture. They approved my choice of gasket and told me the pitted valves/seats were an indication of water ingress over a long period. This was also pointed out by the engineering company skimming the head, further confirming the previous head gasket fitted was wrong and that this breakdown was probably waiting to happen over a long period, but was then accelerated by the lack of cooling system bleeding.

It was now time to open that bleed screw. After trying every spanner and socket I had, I resorted to using a damaged screw remover after spraying the screw several times with penetrating oil. It eventually came loose but, as expected, it was too badly damaged to be reused. I'd already emailed a major MG parts supplier/repairer asking if they could supply a replacement screw, as I believed at that time it might be a special type. They replied that they could only supply it as part of the pipe assembly, a £95 option I was of course unwilling to pay, especially as I'd realised by then it was just a normal flanged screw, similar to those used elsewhere on the car. But they then added that they found my story interesting and would take note - as they'd never opened that bleed screw before!

I couldn't quite believe this and answered it was critical this screw was opened as part of the bleeding process, to ensure all air was excluded from the system, otherwise air pockets can travel around the engine, causing hot spots that would eventually lead to head gasket failure. I haven't received a reply.

I'm now in the process of rebuilding the head before refitting it to the block, but I did go further and drop the sump in order to clean out all the gunge that had collected in there from years of winter storage. I'm being very careful and, hopefully, the engine will soon purr like new, providing many thousands more miles of reliable motoring.

Moral(s) of the story: research online to find the best practice and the proper parts; download the free, 848 page repair manual to obtain all the correct torque settings etc.; don't trust a mechanic/repairer to do work on this car without first ensuring he has/they have all the knowledge and experience to competently and reliably work on it; make sure the right gasket to suit your engine's wet liner tolerances is fitted; and finally and most importantly, make sure the cooling system is properly bled upon completion. These measures might help eliminate the poor reputation this car has for head gasket failure and will keep your car on the road for many more years to come.

Finally, replacing the timing belt isn't such a difficult job, but you do need to be able to get under the car to work effectively. As I'm renovating a house and had loads of scaffolding on site, the photo shows how I did it.
Attachments
2018-07-12 14.52.33.jpg
Necessity is the Mother of Invention.

Dallas

Post by Dallas » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:41 pm

Marvellous work :thumbsu:

I really enjoyed reading your story.
MG TF 1.8i 135 BRG

Barbour
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 2002 TF 135 LEF PUU

Post by Barbour » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:48 pm

Great (horror) story, thanks!
Cheers!

Safety fast, S3XY, Born from jets...

Xpower grey 2002 MG-TF 135 SP CP
Steel grey 2003 Ford Mondeo Estate Centennial
Blue 2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
Anthracite 1998 MG-F 1.8 Mpi (sold)
Silver 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate (sold)

Charless
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:43 am

Anyone struggling with 'that' bleed screw should consider using heat at an early stage. It is strange how an ordinary bolt can be used as a bleed screw and would be even stranger if it then didn't get overtightened afterwards (for fear of an ordinary bolt leaking) causing it to seize with thermal cycling. I would imagine the car getting laid up for six months of the year would only make this and many other F issues so much worse whilst making the visible condition and mileage appear deceptively good.
Thanks for a thorough and perceptive description which could be a great first read for those who frequently pop up here having paid not very much for an F then run off screaming when normal regular maintenance costs arise.
I love your roofed 4 point lift!

mail@alaister.co.uk

Post by mail@alaister.co.uk » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:41 pm

Thanks for your kind words gents. Charles, I intend putting a fibre washer under that bleed screw head to provide a good seal and hopefully make it easier to remove later. Also, are you suggesting I post this story elsewhere on the forum, so it is more likely to be seen by first readers and, if so, where do you suggest? And, the lift works well, but it was quite a task raising each jack a little in turn until I achieved the required height. It didn't cost me anything though, just my time. Wouldn't like to do that with a heavier car though. Finally, none of this has put me off the car, it wasn't its fault after all. I love driving it and think the engine is a marvel - if treated with respect! Just a pity we've missed so much of the lovely weather we've been having recently, but more is due soon and we'll be out there enjoying it again!

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:29 am

mail@alaister.co.uk wrote: I intend putting a fibre washer under that bleed screw head to provide a good seal and hopefully make it easier to remove later.
I may be wrong :? , but a fibre washer does not sound like a good choice for fitment to a hot coolant situation.

It's a long time since I had to bleed my system, I have a different to normal system, but I seem to recall a Dowty seal washer under a flanged bolt as the bleed arrangement.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

mail@alaister.co.uk

Post by mail@alaister.co.uk » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:47 pm

mgtfnut wrote: It's a long time since I had to bleed my system, I have a different to normal system, but I seem to recall a Dowty seal washer under a flanged bolt as the bleed arrangement.
Thanks for advice, I'll get a Dowty washer. What about PDFE tape on threads, to ease removal in future?

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:36 am

mail@alaister.co.uk wrote:
mgtfnut wrote: It's a long time since I had to bleed my system, I have a different to normal system, but I seem to recall a Dowty seal washer under a flanged bolt as the bleed arrangement.
Thanks for advice, I'll get a Dowty washer. What about PDFE tape on threads, to ease removal in future?
PTFE tape would be good ;)
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

mail@alaister.co.uk

Post by mail@alaister.co.uk » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:14 pm

mgtfnut wrote:PTFE tape would be good ;)
Thanks, I'll use it then.