23 years ago today

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

janiepb
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF's

23 years ago today

Post by janiepb » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:16 am

Snowdrop as she is affectionately known came off the production line at Longbridge 23 years ago today.

Believed to be the earliest production MGF currently on the road in the UK I’m rather proud to call her mine
Attachments
C195391B-014F-4D53-B7DA-E9B5F440EEF7.jpeg
4F5E94D1-3D81-4CD7-B9A5-E47436FB61E0.jpeg
Loud & Proud ... TT Exhaust, oh, and don't forget Zip :D

Dallas
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MG TF 1.8i 135 BRG

Re: 23 years ago today

Post by Dallas » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:32 am

Happy 23rd birthday to Snowdrop, she looks lovely. :D
MG TF 1.8i 135 BRG
Born on 8th January 2002 @ 09:02:26
38th MG TF in BRG Pearlescent (code: HFF) to be made out of 3,353 BRG Pearlescent TFs
123rd MG TF 135 to be made out of 19,475
145th MG TF to run off the production line out of 41,656

ErikB
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF PTP RT-Sport 165

Post by ErikB » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:19 pm

Quite impressive !!
Happy birthday.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:38 pm

Very nice :thumbsu:

Phil Jay
Model of Car: MG TF 135

Post by Phil Jay » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:35 pm

Ah! The car that started my MGF obsession!

I bought it from a guy in Carlisle and went to collect it in my ZT with my brother one winter's Saturday. Drove beautifully on the test drive and then on the journey home around Tebay, a cloud of steam appeared, the temperature gauge headed north and the remainder of the journey was with a 'Very Nice Man' on the back of his recovery truck.

But it didn't finish there - travelling south in the ZT through Cheshire, the instruments lit up like a Christmas tree as the auxiliary belt had shredded, losing power steering, charging etc. Arrived home around 10.00pm on the back of another 'Very Nice Man's' recovery truck.
To add insult to injury, the following day, the head gasket on my wife's ZR let go spectacularly, necessitating a brand new cylinder head and an extremely expensive rebuild!
It wasn't a great weekend! And yet I still went on to buy around a dozen F's and TF's over the following years - some folks just never learn!!

Anyway, well done Jane, Snowdrop looks beautiful and for those of us who appreciate the very early cars, she is a credit to you. So glad you bought and restored her back to former glory. My very best wishes to you and Rob.

Phil

ErikB
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF PTP RT-Sport 165

Post by ErikB » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:18 pm

Great story Phil !!
And a very understanding and loving wife I guess....

janiepb
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF's

Post by janiepb » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:05 pm

Phil Jay wrote:Ah! The car that started my MGF obsession!

I bought it from a guy in Carlisle and went to collect it in my ZT with my brother one winter's Saturday. Drove beautifully on the test drive and then on the journey home around Tebay, a cloud of steam appeared, the temperature gauge headed north and the remainder of the journey was with a 'Very Nice Man' on the back of his recovery truck.

But it didn't finish there - travelling south in the ZT through Cheshire, the instruments lit up like a Christmas tree as the auxiliary belt had shredded, losing power steering, charging etc. Arrived home around 10.00pm on the back of another 'Very Nice Man's' recovery truck.
To add insult to injury, the following day, the head gasket on my wife's ZR let go spectacularly, necessitating a brand new cylinder head and an extremely expensive rebuild!
It wasn't a great weekend! And yet I still went on to buy around a dozen F's and TF's over the following years - some folks just never learn!!

Anyway, well done Jane, Snowdrop looks beautiful and for those of us who appreciate the very early cars, she is a credit to you. So glad you bought and restored her back to former glory. My very best wishes to you and Rob.

Phil
Thank you Phil this adds a little more to her "story".

To be honest she was a difficult car to put back together and there was a lot of soul searching with more work required then the original sympathetic restoration we had planned.

Heart ruled head and after 2 years of hard work, perseverance and the never say no attitude she is back on the road.

Rob always said if he could buy any car that you had then Snowdrop would be the one. She is believed to be the earliest production MGF currently on the road in the UK. She is loved and treasured and is a welcome addition to our collection of early '95's.
Loud & Proud ... TT Exhaust, oh, and don't forget Zip :D