Cigar lighter USB

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Magunn
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGTF

Cigar lighter USB

Post by Magunn » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:56 pm

Can anyone recommend a usb charging device that replaces the cigar lighter on a Tf. Looking for one that is decent quality and as flush to console as possible I.e no higher then the original lighter
Thanks

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Re: Cigar lighter USB

Post by Charless » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:31 am

If you look on amazon or ebay you can find basic plug in USB chargers through to voltmeter dual USB socket devices. Whilst not flush they don't look out of place and I like to know what the alternator is doing. Unfortunately when I copy a link to them, it includes my account details!

MrNatural
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF Trophy 160 x 2

Post by MrNatural » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:18 pm

ErikB
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF PTP RT-Sport 165

Post by ErikB » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:58 am

I've mounted a dual USB socket in the plastic triangle bit holding the passengers footwell light.

Neil Rushton
MGF Register Region: Lancashire
Model of Car: TF135

Post by Neil Rushton » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:00 pm

After throwing the alternator belt up a Norwegian mountain I removed the cig lighter unit & fitted this one that I got on eBay it is useful for charging a phone etc & you can keep an eye on battery voltage, it was slightly tight in the hole but a quick zap with a step drill sorted that, it took the opportunity to hard wire in the sat nav cable as well at the same time it was a bit fiddly as I didn't remove the console & I have hands like JCB buckets :lol:
I used a ratchet crimper to join the cables, it's been fitted a few years now with no problems.
image.jpeg
Kawasaki KLX250
Skoda Citigo 75hp!!!
A share in an English Electric Lightning F6 fighter!!!!

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:52 pm

That is exactly what I had in mind - I only have the DVM display but yours really looks the part Neil.

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:25 pm

Neil Rushton wrote:After throwing the alternator belt up a Norwegian mountain I removed the cig lighter unit & fitted this one that I got on eBay it is useful for charging a phone etc & you can keep an eye on battery voltage, it was slightly tight in the hole but a quick zap with a step drill sorted that, it took the opportunity to hard wire in the sat nav cable as well at the same time it was a bit fiddly as I didn't remove the console & I have hands like JCB buckets :lol:
I used a ratchet crimper to join the cables, it's been fitted a few years now with no problems.
image.jpeg
Snap - got one exactly the same ;)
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:17 am

Just done this mod on my MGF using the same product from the bay of E. After removing the OEM cigar lighter and its plastic surround, the opening in the tunnel cover needs opening out slightly (I used a grindstone in a drill) to allow the threaded porting to pass through. I managed to use the OEM electrical connections by splitting the plastic into two halves using a pair of side cutters, then wrapping the exposed parts with insulating tape. The fiddly bit is getting the securing ring back on from underneath (put it over the wires before connecting them) because there's not a lot of room to get your fingers to it through the hole for the ash tray. Works ignition 'ON'. Cool mod, and cheap too!

davidb
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Post by davidb » Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:22 pm

Old thread I know, but just completed this mod also and very pleased with the result. Thanks for the advice.! A couple of thoughts for anyone else:

Although my lighter socket seemed loose, I was scratching my head about inner vs outer. For me, this entailed prising the metal part up from the orange plastic ring, then out it popped!

I try to keep my mods reversible, so I kept the connector whole, pushed it onto the -ve be rotating it, then ran inserted the +ve lead from the connector to the new socket (more robust than it sounds). This also kept the inline fuse that came with the new socket.

Cheers
Dave
(2001 MGF VVC)