Important notice to all owners with Pektron cars.

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

pscan.eu
MGF Register Region: South East

Important notice to all owners with Pektron cars.

Post by pscan.eu » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:12 pm

All.

Firstly I'm not sure what the easiest way to tell if your car has a Pektron SCU or the old 5AS. The easy way that I know is that a 5AS car has the rectangular fob with two round buttons; whilst a Pektron has the round three button fobs.

If you have a car with 5AS you can ignore this post.

For people who have a Pektron car please read:-

The Pektron SCU has a security feature that it will not talk to a diagnostic tool until the Pektron has been "unlocked" or "un-immobilised".
If you loose or break both of your fobs, and you cannot make the EKA work, then no diagnostic tool (either pscan, T4, or anything else) can get back in to fix the situation. From this very bad place the only option left is to remove the Pektron from the car and send it off to Technozen and get him to sort it out on the bench. The car will be stuck whereever it is until he has done his magic.

This situation can be totally avoided if you take action NOW, before it happens.

What you need to do is make sure that you know your EKA and that you test that it actually works.

Do this NOW, because if you don't know your EKA, then you can unlock the car using a fob, connect a diagnostic tool to the car, and read out the EKA from the Pektron. Once you have lost your last fob then without an EKA you are hosed, and the diagnostic tool option will not work; it will be too late.

When you test your EKA it is important that you remove your fobs from your key ring and put them some distance away from the car because the fob will automatically un-immobilise the car if it is near the car, which will invalidate the test. You want to know that you can enter the EKA with nothing more that the key, start the engine and drive, with remote fobs nowhere near the car.

If you can do this, then you will always have a last resort way in. You will be able to unimmobilise the car, connect a diagnostic tool, and code in replacement (only new ones with a 22 digit code) fobs.

The EKA procedure is in your handbook, or you can read it here http://pscan.uk/features/pektron.html

In my experience most people don't do this until it's too late.

If you are worried about security then keep the EKA somewhere safe outside of the car, but just make sure that you can access it when you need it.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Important notice to all owners with Pektron cars.

Post by talkingcars » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:32 pm

Good advice - I can read EKA codes for people who bring their car to me in north West Sussex.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:56 pm

Luckily, I have a nice reliable Lucas based system ;)

But yes, 100% agree: definitely have the EKA available and confirmed to work! For us early MGF owners, note that the code given to us by the manufacturer was originally incorrect from the factory - but it isn't too difficult to get the actual EKA read, and even changed to a number you can remember... :)

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:36 pm

Also if anyone doesn't know their EKA and wants to visit me in Ruislip I am happy to read it for them.