Replacing water pump

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Replacing water pump

Post by mgtfnut » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:40 am

Since buying my 2002 TF in 2004, it's now on it's third water pump from new, at 99k. The original was replaced due to spotting a pink stain when re-siting the PRT back in 2006. The next replacement was in 2009 when it had a mild HGF episode! Since then, four yearly cam belt/ tensioner changes.

Although the cam belt is not due for another two years, I'm wondering how long can a water pump last without issues. My Suzuki SJ is 300k+ on it's original water pump and still going strong!

I've now entered risk management territory - do I replace the water pump at next cam belt change, or risk carrying on with a "senior" water pump? I'm of a view that either course of action is valid - are current water pumps brand new, or new old stock? The same question applies to the tensioner pulley as well.

In a "normal" car, changing belts/water pumps are normally quick and easy - like my SJ, but a TF involves a lot of faff. My Skoda gets dealer servicing and I only check oil/water/washer fluid levels :roll:

Any views gratefully received.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

Mike H
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: 2010 MGTF135

Re: Replacing water pump

Post by Mike H » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:37 am

Personally I've always had the water pumped changed at belt change time, working on the basis one hopes for no nasty surprises in the interim.

Like you, I'm on my third pump. However, it's only a 10 plate car with only 29k on the clock!!!
Audi TTS owner
Former MGTF 135 owner
Former TF 160 Sprint owner
Former ZS180 owner
Former MGF owner

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:50 pm

MG Rover never considered the water pump to be a service item, but it seems sensible to consider doing this with the cam belt change (or once every other cam belt change). My 95/96 MGF is on its third I think? Some pumps last much longer than others it seems. But if you are changing the cam belt, then I'd consider placing the water pump (even if it is a pain to do).

It's the old pre-emptive service versus reactive repair chestnut again isn't it?

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: TF160LE80th #15/1600

Post by Andrew Regens » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:45 am

I always replace when changing belts, even had one fail after six weeks use, all others have lasted the distance
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.