How long do your tyres last?

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

RonandJoan
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 2010 MGTF

How long do your tyres last?

Post by RonandJoan » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:51 pm

Sad news - I've had to replace the rear Toyo's on the TF. They were down to 2mm, and I thought it would be a good idea to change them now that Autumn is here.

They were installed on 10th July 2015 at 37,413 miles to replace the original Goodyear F1's which had done well.

So the new tyres were installed today at 94995 miles, so an incredible 57,582 miles....! :D

And of course, Toyo's were the tyre of choice - especially if they last as long as the last set!

Ron
Ron Kemp

MGTF135 in Oceana Blue; Toyota Yaris in......Blue.

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Re: How long do your tyres last?

Post by Charless » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:45 am

Wow! I thought I had done well with 38k from a pair of Toyos on the front once. My rears get around 25k normally; but I recall reading of people complaining they only get 8k from theirs - without ever doing track days! Driving style is everything.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:03 pm

Absolutely right Charles - driving style is very much an important factor as is the tyre. I'm not fond of the Toyos, but they seem to be lasting forever (annoyingly). Will likely get rid of them soon as they're way too old. Currently planning on Michelin Pilot Sport 3s (they don't do PS4s in the correct or correctish sizes :()

In the past, I would have been happy to get 24k miles out of a set of tyres. But that would include track days and sprint/hill climbs ;)

The last set of Federal 595RSRs lasted me about 10k miles. Had I put the tyres on rotation, I might have eeked out 15k miles. But again, these are nice sticky track tyres on a car driven hard on circuits and hills... ;)

C-J
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: 1998 Abingdon vv

Post by C-J » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:45 pm

R&J,
Just seen this. 57k miles - impressive. Presume this was with a rotation front to rear? Either way, still pretty good.
Out of interest, what Toyo variant were they?

Hi all,
That said, with the low annual mileage on the f my priority would be longevity of rubber - the Eagle F1s still look good but a few years old now and not much tread life left.

Any current recommendations (mk1 MGF 215/40/16 all round) for tyres that will last for many years (less likely to perish with age), that don't cost a fortune, reasonable grip (summer use only and hooning days are gone), ideally with a nice tread pattern (shame that GS-D2s are no longer made as nice to keep original)?
Thanks in advance.

P.s Hope OK to ask here rather than start another thread - appreciate there are lots of tyre threads in the past, however most are old and many of the recommends tyres are no longer made or compounds have probably changed etc.

Cheers
Chris

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:52 am

Tyre choice is all about your priorities and the type of driving you do. :)

The Toyos will have been the T1-R - a tyre that has also been superseded I believe?

Not sure that any tyre has data on the longevity of the rubber itself; on other forums there have been discussions that current rubber technology leads to tyres that age-expire sooner than tyres from say 30-40 years ago. I have no direct experience to validate or repute that statement - but there are general moves to advise time-related tyre replacement.

I'd rather use up the tread on the tyre than have to replace a tyre with loads of tread left because it got too old - and on that basis, I'd be happy to regular road-use Federal 595RSRs :)

Interestingly, high-performance tyres from major manufacturers are getting progressively harder to find on 16" rims. I typically use 205/45 R16s all round, which work extremely well and offer more choice. But if I wanted Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, the only 16" fitment is 205/50 R16, which from experience will require you to roll the wheel arch lips to avoid rubbing... something you may not necessarily be prepared to do.

C-J
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: 1998 Abingdon vv

Post by C-J » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:03 pm

Good info, cheers Rob.

Will do some searching on what the current Toyos are like. Will look to change next year - unless the for thing MOT throws up any surprises.