How good is the MGF - V - BMW S1000 motor bike!!

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

How good is the MGF - V - BMW S1000 motor bike!!

Post by RobboMC » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:52 am

My colleague at work here has a spanking new BMW S1000 motor bike, best in the business.

He lives in a block of flats in the same street as my elderly father, some 15 miles across town,
right now in peak hour Google Maps says it's a 40 minute trip through the traffic.

So yesterday we left work at the same time and he says, "Going to your Dad's, I give you a race"

I nodded and so it was ON through the traffic. Now I must say there are some rules of engagement.
Neither of us wants to lose our licence,
and neither of us wants to be killed for a lousy afternoon race. But when I went underneath him
going into a roundabout he knew he had a race on his hands.

So using all of my traffic knowledge of the area and all of the handling and agility of the F through the traffic I set about
attempting to beat this large motorcycle across town. Now the motor cycle has the advantage of lane filtering,
which is now legal down-under, so I gave myself little chance of winning.

The result - well I'm amazed to report - was a TIE!!!

After 14-1/2 miles the motor cyclist was sitting at a set of traffic lights and I pulled up beside him in the F,
and his eyes just about popped out of his helmet!!!!

These little cars truly are excellent, and pretty much unbeatable across town on a busy afternoon.

And ah- hem we did both beat the 40 minutes suggested by Google. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kasper
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Re: How good is the MGF - V - BMW S1000 motor bike!!

Post by Kasper » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:09 pm

Ahmmm, speechless....

MGFvvc, a bit tweaked on the drive, lets say about 160 HP, next to it: BMW1200S, a predecessor of the S1000. About the same amount of horses on board: 168. So you could say I know them both.

And you tell me the F equals the BMW?

Guess you're a pretty good driver then to avoid calling him a lousy one :lol: :lol: :lol:

Never said the F is a slow car but a top of the range bike is so much faster (shouldn't there be too many turns and bends). No problem putting the pedal to the metal in the F. But full throttle on such a bike : 0-60 < 2,4 sec in 1st gear, no need to change! That is what splits the men from the boys.
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:18 pm

Rob, you're a good driver in a good little sports car! :D Both combatants are hugely enjoyable vehicles - and each will have their own areas of excellence. On the Nurburgring, the motorbikes tend to get in the way of the cars in the bends, but on the straight, the bikes' superior power:weight ratio pays dividends :)

Neil Rushton
MGF Register Region: Lancashire
Model of Car: TF135

Post by Neil Rushton » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:44 pm

I've been gradually reducing engine size on bikes over the years I'm now down to a 500cc Honda but I'd hang up my helmet if I was beaten in a race with an MGF in normal circumstances to be honest :D
Kawasaki KLX250
Skoda Citigo 75hp!!!
A share in an English Electric Lightning F6 fighter!!!!

Bazzajay
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Wedgwood SE 1800i

Post by Bazzajay » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:45 am

It does really come down to the skill and competence of the drivers. I live on the Isle of Wight, so, narrow roads and lots of bends. I was leaving Newport to head home to Shanklin. I had stopped at some lights and, as I was about to pull away, I was overtaken by a motorcycle. About a mile further on we're out of town on a very bendy road, which I can easily manage at up to 60 in my old 1400cc Peugeot Partner. However, following the m/c I had to slow to below 40 on the bends. Someone else who had passed the test and had then failed to learn to drive properly.

Mind you, I have been a car 'nut' for the whole of my life and have been lucky enough to have had some very interesting vehicles, and I have had 57 years to practice.
Barrie

2000 MGF Wedgwood SE 1800i
2002 Peugeot Partner Quiksilver

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:25 am

I think some of you missed the little detail that this 'race' was through peak hour traffic, average speed was about 25 miles an hour.

I was never suggesting that on an open road or a race track that any car could beat the S1000 motor bike.

This was through thick suburban peak hour traffic and was all about agility, traffic management and navigation skills.

And in the end we're both limited by remaining somewhere near the speed limit anyway :rant:

Kasper
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Post by Kasper » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:56 pm

RobboMC wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:25 am

And in the end we're both limited by remaining somewhere near the speed limit anyway :rant:
driving an MGF that is do-able.
on a S1000 that must be an hell of a job ;)
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be

ErikB
Regional Rep
Model of Car: MGF PTP RT-Sport 165

Post by ErikB » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:26 pm

Great write-up... true ancient top gear competition style.
You just need another colleague that will wear a helmet and does public transport.