DVSA MOT Announcement.

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

DVSA MOT Announcement.

Post by Geoff.F » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:44 am

The DVSA have announced that with effect from 30th March, ,Car MOTs will be extended for 6 Months . Read their site.
My MOT Man (for the last 40+ years) called me today to tell me that mine is not required today.
We are on Self Isolating.
Geoff.F

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: DVSA MOT Announcement.

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:30 pm

Wish you well Geoff, and this is interesting news!

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:33 pm

WHEN IS YOURS DUE GEOFF? "However, it won't come in until Monday 30 March which means vehicles due an MOT before then must still take it."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52036333

"Motorists worried about getting an MOT because of the coronavirus crisis, have been handed a six-month reprieve.

The government has granted car owners a six-month exemption from MOT testing.

However, it won't come in until Monday 30 March which means vehicles due an MOT before then must still take it.

The exemption "will enable vital services such as deliveries to continue, frontline workers to get to work, and people get essential food and medicine," the government said.

The exemption will apply to cars, motorcycles and vans, but the government warned that vehicles must be kept in a roadworthy condition.

Garages will remain open for essential repair work while drivers will face prosecution if they're caught driving unsafe vehicles.

"We must ensure those on the frontline of helping the nation combat COVID19 are able to do so," said Transport Secretary Grant Shapps.

"Safety is key, which is why garages will remain open for essential repair work."

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:19 pm

Geoff.F wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:44 am
The DVSA have announced that with effect from 30th March, ,Car MOTs will be extended for 6 Months . Read their site.
My MOT Man (for the last 40+ years) called me today to tell me that mine is not required today.
We are on Self Isolating.
Geoff.F
Phew.
My TF is due in a few weeks, and my SJ on 01/05.
I'd already arranged for the TF MoT on Tuesday - trying be clever and putting it in at the first available date in case we got locked down. Chickened out Tuesday am, rang the garage etc and was working out options :roll:
Then today - we fall sort of line with HGVs and I can heave a sigh of relief. Just hope we all come through this to enjoy our cars sometime down the line.
I'd already booked a Chunnel crossing and accommodation some time ago for Kempenrit - just need to see how things pan out now :?
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

c13amb
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by c13amb » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:18 pm

Mines not due untill the end of July, that's not a problem but my question is when the extension is ended the problem will be getting a slot at the MOT station due to the huge backlog,and I assume they will give us ample time to arrange and get tested as most cars will be on an "out of date" MOT? Just thinking ahead🙂
My cars..MY04 '54 MGTF135 in Yas Marina Blue!!!

MY13'63 AUDI Q7 S-LINE 3Ltr. In ibis white!!!

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:58 am

I presume the government's assumption here is that general movement restrictions will have been lifted within that 6-month period, which should give you sufficient time to re-book an MoT well before the due-date. Plus, I would imagine that the 6-month extension will be from your current MoT expiry date, so not everyone's MoT will be due at the same time. However, I would imagine that the MoT centres will be twice as busy as usual for when you're due to get the car re-tested...

MrNatural
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF Trophy 160 x 2

Post by MrNatural » Mon May 11, 2020 7:53 pm

Not all MOT stations have closed. Just had another 12 month ticket from my local service station ☺

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Mon May 11, 2020 10:46 pm

MrNatural wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 7:53 pm
Not all MOT stations have closed. Just had another 12 month ticket from my local service station ☺
I wouldn't have thought MoT garages, or ordinary repair garages would have closed, as they were deemed able to stay open to keep people moving.
I only chickened out at the last minute, but if it all pans out it means I can prep things in the hopefully warmer and drier part of the year ;)
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Wed May 13, 2020 11:05 pm

MrNatural wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 7:53 pm
The place I use closed 2 days after I got the retest done on my wifes car.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com