soft top window

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Whitey 54
MGF Register Region: Lancashire

soft top window

Post by Whitey 54 » Thu May 14, 2020 8:15 am

Hi my 2001 MGF has a milky plastic window in the hood making it hard to see out of does any one know how to either make it clear again or know of a cheep company who can replace the window ??

I was hoping to replace the plastic for a glass window if this is at all possible can any advise me as to how I can solve this problem or is there any one with a glass replacement window for sale please hope you can help

Many thanks

c13amb
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Re: soft top window

Post by c13amb » Thu May 14, 2020 9:51 am

Try a renovo window polish 1st if your windows not too badly clouded. Bit of elbow grease and some of this product worked for me initially many years ago but ended replacing the hood with a glass window eventually! It's about £15-20 which is more than enough for the window you can get other similar items but this one worked best for me!
My cars..MY04 '54 MGTF135 in Yas Marina Blue!!!

MY13'63 AUDI Q7 S-LINE 3Ltr. In ibis white!!!

Mike H
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: 2010 MGTF135

Post by Mike H » Thu May 14, 2020 10:00 am

Greygate plastic polish was always the product of choice 'back in the day' to solve the problem of milky rear screens on the F. A quick Google shows that it's still readily available. I've still got a couple of pots in the garage, but unfortunately even with the easing of restrictions, probably just that bit too far from the Cotswolds to drop it off ;)
Audi TTS owner
Former MGTF 135 owner
Former TF 160 Sprint owner
Former ZS180 owner
Former MGF owner

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Thu May 14, 2020 1:39 pm

If you "Search" this Forum you will find everything that you may want about MGF Hood Screens. Plastic or Glass replacements.
Geoff.F

MrNatural
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF Trophy 160 x 2

Post by MrNatural » Thu May 14, 2020 10:13 pm

Yes, as Geoff says, search the forum, lots of information. I have changed two plastic rear screens for glass ones and it's not difficult. If you check out MGMania, they sell the glass screens with good instructions on how to fit.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Fri May 15, 2020 4:22 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum

Graygate polish is amazing, and recommend by BT and NASA!

It is available on eBay and half a bottle is more than enough.
It takes the oxidation layer off making it clear again and softens it so it is less likely to crack.

Let us know how your get on.

James

P.S most owners are friendly, really.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

AndyH
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by AndyH » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:35 pm

My rear plastic window was really bad and I thought I would have to change it but I thought I would just try PlastX first and it worked really well.

My first attempt with it made a bit of an improvement, but not all that much.

A couple of weeks later I had another go and saw further improvements, and a third attempt a couple of weeks after that and it was really good.

I don't know if I've got a bit wimpy in my old age and run out of puff or whether or not doing it in stages aided the process.

Before you start with the PlastX always give the plastic a bit of a clean to get any loose dirt off, then thoroughly read the instructions, and make sure you do both sides of the plastic (inside and outside). However milky it is I would always try reviving it before shelling out for a new window.

Andy